Back problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe

Hi lads. Just need some advice or help. Last Monday I help customer move a bath she had delivered from the front of the house to the upstairs bathroom. As I went through the front door I felt my back just hurt for a second then carried on as normal. It was bit of a twist to get it around. Everything fine until the Thursday about I bent down to bucket and as I stood up it was if my back seezed. I had to go home.

Doctor on Friday said pull muscle could be a few days to 6 week off. Gave me tablets. I've been unable to walk at times with the pain. Nearly a week later, too today my backs a bit better. But Left side of lower back hurts, pain from my left back down arse and leg. Also my left bollock hurts. Back still bit stiff.

Nowhere nearly being able to work.
Anyone had anything similar?

Thanks guys.

I hurt my back on Sunday, washing my hair in the shower haha. Was just a little tweak, didnt think much of it. Then later on I lifted something out the car and my back done the same, completley siezed. Chest went all tight and strugged to breath. It loosened off eventually and I took some strong ibuprofen and got some of those heat packs. Monday I couldn't bend down. Its still a bit stiff in the mornings but seems to loosen off as the day goes on. Luckily I was only off Monday, Hopefully you heal quick too and are out back earning!
Try keep moving as much as possible, and when you are resting get a heat pack on it and take ibuprofen would be my advice

Siatica if spelt right levels yer few days and can come back anytime generally happens doing summin daft twisting getting up from table for me (dont mean fuuny dancing) shat meself thought that was it spinal column done too scared to get up or sit down ended up led on floor for hours.needless say it passed and only few twinges since always same daft movement.good luck

Your doctor hasn't a clue what's wrong and is guessing, for starters!
If you have pain travelling down a leg it's a nerve problem, probably pinched or trapped it when twisting.
Get yourself to a physiotherapist and / or an osteopath.
A doctor is a waste of time

You need to watch the pulled muscle doesnt end up as a torn one.
If your having time off get to a physio and get yourself checked over.
I have torn a muscle in my lower back on one side which has never had the chance to heal and now after a few years its been diagnosed as an Adhesion and is unlikely to go.
Constant pain some days better than others and Tramadol on prescription.
Heat will get oxygen to the area to help with healing.

I used to use a chiropractor. Go in buckled and come out slightly worse for a few hours. Next day was always massively better. Chiro only sorts the issues temporarily though. Physio teaches you exercises and things to correct the problems/keep it at bay

I do agree that the doctor is guessing at this stage. I've been taking Ibuprofen and co codamol. The biggest problem in this game is being self employed needing get back to work ASAP.

Had same problem years back. Really bad. Spent hundreds on an osteopath. Worked for a while but always returned. I was drinking in the last chance saloon. Then I went to an acupuncturist. Best 100 I have ever spent. Never had a back problem since

Had same problem years back. Really bad. Spent hundreds on an osteopath. Worked for a while but always returned. I was drinking in the last chance saloon. Then I went to an acupuncturist. Best 100 I have ever spent. Never had a back problem since

Wow ... Interesting.

The nature of our job means that for many back problems will always be a hazard .incorrect lifting ,over stretching and a bias to use one side of the body more than the other all go to create a muscle imbalance . If you want to avoid injuries i would recommend doing strength training using compound exercises (squats ,dead lifts etc) and building your core esp your Transverse Abdominis (google). You have to look after yourself in this game . Hope this helps.

Sounds like a pulled muscle in the back but get it checked out , forget a chiropractor for now , what BigK says is right.
Happened me a few years back , decked out a ceiling in a shopfit about 80 miles from home , walked across it with a yellow bucket of water and bang - i was a cripple! laying on the floor for ages.
Never forget it , had to get someone to drive my car home , every bump agony, was like Quasimodo bent over and shuffling to the doctor :)

Think most of us will have some sort of trouble.
Mine gives a scream now and again if I reach across my body too far with my trowel hand.
My lower right hand side is agony for about 1 minute only.
Stems from doing the same thing off a scaffold that was too short two years ago, was off for a fortnight.

I agree with @A.plasterer it sounds like sciatic nerve,as your getting pains in your leg and cheek. Did they give you naproxen or dicloflenac? Dicloflenac made me very grumpy :mad:

Always had something going on in my lower back/pelvis clicking it by seated twists and I lay down squeeze knees together.used to bang loads on ibuprofen down me but now i use the cream instead.like the guy said earlier it is part of the nature of the job and the squat/deadlift advice is good.only problem with gym work is it might make it worse

Google Pilates for lower back,it will strengthen your core and you'll be amazed how it will help

It can be hundreds of possibilities, get a private MRI , some swear by osteopath,others physio,others chiropractor or acupuncture ,didn't strokes for different folks literally .

My brother who is also a plasterer screwed up his back a week ago and has been off work trying to heal up. Back in the 1980's I really screwed up my back and tore up a disk in L5. I had the option of getting an operation or laying low for a while, I chose not to get cut open . It took about 3 months of doing almost nothing - prescription steroids, special exercises, and they gave me a tens unit to use. Eventually they wanted the Tens Unit back or I could give them $600 and I could keep it. I gave it back but I've often wished since then that I would have kept it. Years later now you can buy a tens unit for a reasonable price, I'm waiting for one to get shipped to me right now and it only set me back about $40.00 with shipping.

My brother who is also a plasterer screwed up his back a week ago and has been off work trying to heal up. Back in the 1980's I really screwed up my back and tore up a disk in L5. I had the option of getting an operation or laying low for a while, I chose not to get cut open . It took about 3 months of doing almost nothing - prescription steroids, special exercises, and they gave me a tens unit to use. Eventually they wanted the Tens Unit back or I could give them $600 and I could keep it. I gave it back but I've often wished since then that I would have kept it. Years later now you can buy a tens unit for a reasonable price, I'm waiting for one to get shipped to me right now and it only set me back about $40.00 with shipping.
What is a tens unit ?

It's a machine which gives electric pulses, varying strengths and frequencies, I got one off a mate and used it on my knees it's therapeutic in a sadistic sort of way, women in labour use them, but as we know they're of tougher stock than us.
So its a vibrator then :estudioso:

Thank for the input guys ....

Couple of things that helped me John, read the thread I started sciatica, what a pain. Lots of folk on here gave some great tips. @superspread advised that I pushed for a nerve root block, I was in agony for a long time . I was right as rain in a day after the procedure. There is however a long wait for this. You can get it quicker if you; get a referral from your gp and physio. Ask to be referred to the 'pain team' they can push you through. Once you get an appointment (you will need mri first) contact x-Ray department and ask to be on cancellation list.
Hopefully you won't need this and it will heal on its own. I bought an inversion table off amazon, this helped lots. Still use it now.
@Jurek is right acupuncture can be amazing, I used to get a lot of pain relief from a man I used. Best of luck, speedy recovery

Hi lads. Just need some advice or help. Last Monday I help customer move a bath she had delivered from the front of the house to the upstairs bathroom. As I went through the front door I felt my back just hurt for a second then carried on as normal. It was bit of a twist to get it around. Everything fine until the Thursday about I bent down to bucket and as I stood up it was if my back seezed. I had to go home.

Doctor on Friday said pull muscle could be a few days to 6 week off. Gave me tablets. I've been unable to walk at times with the pain. Nearly a week later, too today my backs a bit better. But Left side of lower back hurts, pain from my left back down arse and leg. Also my left bollock hurts. Back still bit stiff.

Nowhere nearly being able to work.
Anyone had anything similar?

Google bowan technique it's brilliant had a bad back for years and tried everything had this done 2 days later was brand new again, I still go from time to time but generally last a few years after going once good for all pain and sciatica etc

Thanks guys.

Google bowan technique it's brilliant had a bad back for years and tried everything had this done 2 days later was brand new again, I still go from time to time but generally last a few years after going once good for all pain and sciatica etc

I pulled my back a few days ago lifting my compressor incand out of the car... agony for a few days.. no pills for me bug some good cream :)

Status
Not open for further replies.