asbestos worries

timlts

Hi all, I live in the UK in a house built 1978. It has 'artex' ceilings. I am aware this has a risk of containing 1-3% asbestos. I will be sending some samples off for testing. Around 10 years ago I had a living room and a hallway scraped and skimmed. I did say at the time if the plasterers were worried about it, but they just shrugged it off. I think it was wet scraped and pva/bonded before skimmed - either way the ceilings have held up!

I am due to get another one sorted by a different plasterer - locally he has a good reputation. There was no mention of asbestos risks but he did first say to board it. Although I feel this was suggested out of it being 'easy'. I would rather not have my ceilings lowered as they are already 'low 70s ones'. If the test comes back positive, what would be the best and safest way to approach this? I don't want to entertain removal of the ceilings.

On another related topic, my airing cupboard upstairs has two holes in it from electrical work. This looks like gypsum board, skimmed plaster and cobwebs to me? In this cupboard, the ceiling has never been textured as far as I know (at least 20 years). So I am assuming its likely regular 70s paint - which I guess also kills you! It would have had the hot water cylinder in I guess, but this was replaced with a combi and the tank in the loft removed before I was here.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

The plasterer advised boarding it because its the best method. Its not easier, just a better job. Any time we plaster over artex the plaster is only stuck as well as the 20 odd year old artex is.

Get them boarded

Nice to hear about your airing cupboard

Absoloute cheap skate opening msg.he suggested boarding it as its a guarantee.theres no guarantee lobbing abit of skim onto artex no matter how its primed.if it has asbestos I'm afraid ur looking at £1000s as ull have to get a asbestos removal company in..now get them pennies saved your guna need to

Hi all, I live in the UK in a house built 1978. It has 'artex' ceilings. I am aware this has a risk of containing 1-3% asbestos. I will be sending some samples off for testing. Around 10 years ago I had a living room and a hallway scraped and skimmed. I did say at the time if the plasterers were worried about it, but they just shrugged it off. I think it was wet scraped and pva/bonded before skimmed - either way the ceilings have held up!

I am due to get another one sorted by a different plasterer - locally he has a good reputation. There was no mention of asbestos risks but he did first say to board it. Although I feel this was suggested out of it being 'easy'. I would rather not have my ceilings lowered as they are already 'low 70s ones'. If the test comes back positive, what would be the best and safest way to approach this? I don't want to entertain removal of the ceilings.

On another related topic, my airing cupboard upstairs has two holes in it from electrical work. This looks like gypsum board, skimmed plaster and cobwebs to me? In this cupboard, the ceiling has never been textured as far as I know (at least 20 years). So I am assuming its likely regular 70s paint - which I guess also kills you! It would have had the hot water cylinder in I guess, but this was replaced with a combi and the tank in the loft removed before I was here.

View attachment 61938

View attachment 61939

Looks like a re build.

View attachment 61938

View attachment 61939

View attachment 61938

View attachment 61939
If you want to do something to get rid of asbestos , <a href="https://www.fastasbestosremoval.com.au/asbestos-removal">asbestos removal </a> is the best way .

View attachment 61938

View attachment 61939
70s Emulsion paint isn’t going to kill you. Stop being a big baby.

If it comes back positive cheapest solution is to overboard and skim. Otherwise it will cost you a lot to have it removed. The holes in your airing cupboard could be glory holes? I had this issue I’m my house.