Artexing

LPS

Hi guys quick artexing question.

I have just filled and artexed a ceiling. The boarding was done a few months ago so we filled the joints this morning, then gave it a good pva and have artexed this afternoon.

My issue is, some parts of the artex appear to be separating (see pic below)

Could this be because the pva was slightly tacky or should I have used artex sealer instead of PVA?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_143351.jpg
    IMG_20220303_143351.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
Hi guys quick artexing question.

I have just filled and artexed a ceiling. The boarding was done a few months ago so we filled the joints this morning, then gave it a good pva and have artexed this afternoon.

My issue is, some parts of the artex appear to be separating (see pic below)

Could this be because the pva was slightly tacky or should I have used artex sealer instead of PVA?

Thanks
How can you fill something in the morning and then PVA it in the afternoon?
When did PVA become part of the Artex system?

I always thought artex needed 2 fills never done it personally but a mate of mine used to and he always used sealer not pva

Always at least two layers of caulking, but sealer not always required. Artex was able to go onto bare board, you just needed to be nippy.
Caulking?

Tbh I was going to go onto the board but it had been up a month or so so figured it was worth giving it a lick of PVA

Yea it needed artex sealer ratio of 1:1
Would have taken half an hour or so to be ready for pattern. Also seen this happen if you mixed powder with the warm water mix.

It's a dying art unfortunately

No disrespect intended, but do you really think it's unfortunate that artexing is dying out?

Hundreds of thousands of homes in the UK and the US have been contaminated with asbestos just because of a fashion fad in the building industry.

It looks bloody awful, too!

Yea it needed artex sealer ratio of 1:1
Would have taken half an hour or so to be ready for pattern. Also seen this happen if you mixed powder with the warm water mix.
Thanks for the advice bud. Will def do next time!!! It's all in the prep.

No disrespect intended, but do you really think it's unfortunate that artexing is dying out?

Hundreds of thousands of homes in the UK and the US have been contaminated with asbestos just because of a fashion fad in the building industry.

It looks bloody awful, too!
It's not unfortunate it's dying out, personally I also think it look awful. it's unfortunate that there's hardly any lads left about that are doing it/ able to do it, let alone teaching it to younger lads like me!

I take great pleasure in skimming over it tbh ££££

I was using solvent based sealer on the render outside once . And the kitchen ceiling needed sealing because they smoked. So I gave it a coat of same stuff.the fumes were terrible. Ten minutes later my mate came out shouting. Those polystyrene tiles had melted and dripping on the floor .had to strip it all .and skim it.