Artex.........

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosco

Evening all, Just wondering about a job i have to do tomorrow........

It's quite thick artex and it looks as though it has been painted quite a few times (dont know if that's a problem??)

Everytime i use bonding to cover over anything quite thick it seems to either drag around a bit or looks ok but when i go to skim it small bubbles appear ad its getting on my t**s to be honest. Also some parts of the finish tend to dry out quicker than others

Don't know if this is a common problem, if anyone can give me some advice it would be a big help

Cheers

Cant you overboard and skim or get a floor scrapper and give the artex a good scrapping then p.v.a and skim it?

Get a good scraper(pref floor), and knock off the high spots, get it flatish, PVA , then three coat it if you dont want to use bonding... Three coats of multi eliminates the bubbles you get from bonding. ;)

Knock off the high points, WBA, if you need to bond it let it go off properly (thats what causes the bubbles) before skimming.

From what you describe I think I'd skim it the day after

Get a good scraper(pref floor), and knock off the high spots, get it flatish, PVA , then three coat it if you dont want to use bonding... Three coats of multi eliminates the bubbles you get from bonding.  ;)

I did this not too recentley and it turned spot on, the only reason i didnt bond it as i didnt see the job and didnt put any onboard and the job was miles away from a builders merchants, but what i actually did was skim it normal 2 coats troweled up and it didnt look right so wacked another coat on and it went in perfect ;)

Get a good scraper(pref floor), and knock off the high spots, get it flatish, PVA , then three coat it if you dont want to use bonding... Three coats of multi eliminates the bubbles you get from bonding.  ;)

I did this not too recentley and it turned spot on, the only reason i didnt bond it as i didnt see the job and didnt put any onboard and the job was miles away from a builders merchants, but what i actually did was skim it normal 2 coats troweled up and it didnt look right so wacked another coat on and it went in perfect ;)

We never bond artex, always do a three coat set, just easier than mucking about with two diffrent mixes!! Works just the same and no bubble issues either ;)

I've never three coated and only bonded a couple of times.
I'll try three coats next time.
:)

If you are going along the bonding route mate, just let the multi go off a bit more than usual before you start trowelling up your second coat. This tends to stop the bubbles. They are a pain in the ass and get worse the more you tr to trowel them out :)

with artex ceilings i tend to lay a good first coat on 1 way, then 2nd coat put it on the opposite way you put the 1st coat on.

Hi

I ended up bonding out the wall and put a bit of finish through the mix, let it go off and skimmed it (no pva).

Worked a treat and was really happy with it, but i think next time i will try put three sets of finish on it.

Thanks for all the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.