Artex fail

Members online

No members online now.
I do know what pva stands for Ffs, Do you do everything by the letter of what it says in text books? Lol.
Btw I have never felt the need to read the back of a bag of multi in my life!
Don't buy anything from B & Q without check back of products for use by dates.
Can't expect minimum wage staff to check, it's, above their pay scale.

Don't buy anything from B & Q without check back of products for use by dates.
Can't expect minimum wage staff to check, it's, above their pay scale.
I don’t buy anything from b&q’s unless I really have to mate. Scrim, Pva, Screws online everything else I get from the merchants.

I have come across plenty of types of Artex, seventies when first came out mixed with warm water asbestos, or site works eighties mixed too thin or reused next day no strength or private work heavy texture.
Only way to guarantee work, is to overboard, or do sample test.

Skimmed an artex ceiling recently and about a week later got a call saying the plaster has fell down.. I’ve done all the ceilings in his house and it’s only this 1 room I’ve had an issue with all 2 coat uni bond the night before and skim
Went back to overboard it had a look in his loft and saw a hole in his roof near where part of the ceiling had fell down is this the cause? Because on the other side of room about 2-3m away from hole the plaster is solid?
I had a call last week to say a ceiling had cracked that I did December. I said there's always a chance of a hairline crack but said I'd pop in and take a look. It was f**k*d, part of it had dropped at least 10mm, pushed my finger straight through, got a scraper and came off with no effort at all. Going back to overboard and skim next week. First one in over 10 years. Skimmed when Pva was tacky

You gain more from knowledge and experience than a poxy text book!! You know nothing about me mate lol. My reputation in my area and surrounding areas speaks for itself. FYI I never quote against anyone my price is my price take it or leave it. Also most of my work is recommended so I charge whatever I like ;)(y)
ffs ye sound like lurpak

ffs ye sound like lurpak
how dare you GIF

Been at it 18 years and not once have I had to go back to sort plaster that hasn't bonded to the substrate I must be lucky saying that I've probably just jinxed myself now

Good luck for tomorrow :LOL:
Haha I nearly got caught out 2 months ago on lounge ceiling over artex as usual customer don't wanna pay overboard and skim price, but I was taught years ago before you scrape high spots off just dig the scraper in and make an indentation and chip away abit until you can see the original surface the artex was put on,and luckily for me somebody had artexed over wallpaper so told the customer I won't be skimming it she thought I was winding her up u could see the paper under the artex once I started scraping, she never had me back lol must of got a chancer on it

Haha I nearly got caught out 2 months ago on lounge ceiling over artex as usual customer don't wanna pay overboard and skim price, but I was taught years ago before you scrape high spots off just dig the scraper in and make an indentation and chip away abit until you can see the original surface the artex was put on,and luckily for me somebody had artexed over wallpaper so told the customer I won't be skimming it she thought I was winding her up u could see the paper under the artex once I started scraping, she never had me back lol must of got a chancer on it
I had one like that years ago!
Ended up scraping it all off after I’d skimmed it and skimming again after pva .
Never again that was a long day.
Live and learn.

I had a call last week to say a ceiling had cracked that I did December. I said there's always a chance of a hairline crack but said I'd pop in and take a look. It was f**k*d, part of it had dropped at least 10mm, pushed my finger straight through, got a scraper and came off with no effort at all. Going back to overboard and skim next week. First one in over 10 years. Skimmed when Pva was tacky

Suprised you didnt tell customer they were wrong and produced a graph! :ROFLMAO:

I had one like that years ago!
Ended up scraping it all off after I’d skimmed it and skimming again after pva .
Never again that was a long day.
Live and learn.
I would have to take a couple of days off if I did that,fair play for doing it in one day some graft doing it twice,my time will come anyway will probably happen when I'm due to retire and can't move about aswell

Suprised you didnt tell customer they were wrong and produced a graph! :ROFLMAO:
I did tell the customer they were wrong. They said its probably nothing to worry about on the phone.
6 month old work, boarding and skimming at my expense. What a guy

Unibond etc.. is Poly Vinyl Acetate or copolymers so technically re-emulsify either wet or dry
so in theory it shouldn't matter when plastered onto but I was always taught to skim onto pva when tacky and at the end of the day you can't really argue with manufacturers useage instructions which clearly state on the back of the tubs to plaster onto it when tacky.
Also if you really want to get technical, British Gypsum clearly state on back of bags of multi to use Bond-it for preparation prior to re-skimming or going over painted surfaces.
BG also state to use 11.5 litres of water per 25kg. Give that a try and let us know how it goes

BG also state to use 11.5 litres of water per 25kg. Give that a try and let us know how it goes
11.5L of water per 25k bag is an approx amount so could be less or more depending on how you like the consistency... don't try and be a smart arse with me sunshine

Mix it up with 11.5 litres then and let's see the result. Mix it with less if you want too. Not being a smart arse, you said you do things according to the bag...
you were trying to be fkin smart pal and you know it and it failed fkin spectacularly on you.... if the bag said mix with exactly 11.5L then I would do it to that but it says approx what part of that don't you understand you daft pleb?

you were trying to be fkin smart pal and you know it and it failed fkin spectacularly on you.... if the bag said mix with exactly 11.5L then I would do it to that but it says approx what part of that don't you understand you daft pleb?
So the instructions of how to mix plaster say approximately the wrong number? The manufacturer doesn't even know how much water to add let alone how to prep a room.
Deep digging

Nath has had your pants down fella accept it and move on :ROFLMAO:
he'd have me if it stipulated to mix it exactly with 11.5L but it doesn't it says approx I could mix my skim at 11 and a quarter L or i could mix it at 11 and 3 quarter L per bag bit more bit less but you'll never fkin know pal because you're a thick t**t like him who's to fkin stupid to know what an approx measurement is

So the instructions of how to mix plaster say approximately the wrong number? The manufacturer doesn't even know how much water to add let alone how to prep a room.
Deep digging
lol so now you're saying BG official specs on preparation is wrong?

jesus fkin wept

he'd have me if it stipulated to mix it exactly with 11.5L but it doesn't it says approx I could mix my skim at 11 and a quarter L or i could mix it at 11 and 3 quarter L per bag bit more bit less but you'll never fkin know pal because you're a thick t**t like him who's to fkin stupid to know what an approx measurement is
You sound fun at party’s :oops:

Go on then, mix it with any of the 3 amounts you just said

You're talking b*ll***s on this one mate, and you know it, but can't admit being wrong.

The is no right or wrong to skim artex or knowledge it’s a shot in the dark it’s either going to have a chemical reaction or it’s not always explain to the customer rather then being a chancer theirs nothing worse then getting a call back

Only an arsehole who never did any plastering would need to look at the bag to find out how much water to put in it.

AKA Nath 80