Artex conundrum

Members online

No members online now.

MickyBhoy

I recently bought my grannies old flat. She had the living room skimmed a few years back, the plasterers said they had removed the artex before skimming. So I was removing the wallpaper and it felt like someone had attached hardboard to the wall, after taking off the lining paper half the wall fell off to expose that beautiful old artex. My dad said use a steamer to take it off. Some of it was straight forward enough but a section was silk or gloss painted which flared up my tendonitis, but got there in the end.

I then started googling artex and found out the old stuff had aspestos in it, which my da knew but didn't think important enough to mention, cheers da. She had the house about 30 years and it was there when she moved in so it's more than likely in it. It's off now and luckily I wore a jsp mask as I f**k**g hate dust.

But now I don't know how to handle plastering over it, I think there's still some residue on the walls but don't want to f**k about scraping any more off, I've still not sweeped up right and the shite is all over everything, just have the room taped off. Can I bond/multi mix coat onto the thin stuff left after scraping? Should I use guardz or something or is PVA alright? Or do I need to get it all off the wall?

I recently bought my grannies old flat. She had the living room skimmed a few years back, the plasterers said they had removed the artex before skimming. So I was removing the wallpaper and it felt like someone had attached hardboard to the wall, after taking off the lining paper half the wall fell off to expose that beautiful old artex. My dad said use a steamer to take it off. Some of it was straight forward enough but a section was silk or gloss painted which flared up my tendonitis, but got there in the end.

I then started googling artex and found out the old stuff had aspestos in it, which my da knew but didn't think important enough to mention, cheers da. She had the house about 30 years and it was there when she moved in so it's more than likely in it. It's off now and luckily I wore a jsp mask as I f**k**g hate dust.

But now I don't know how to handle plastering over it, I think there's still some residue on the walls but don't want to f**k about scraping any more off, I've still not sweeped up right and the shite is all over everything, just have the room taped off. Can I bond/multi mix coat onto the thin stuff left after scraping? Should I use guardz or something or is PVA alright? Or do I need to get it all off the wall?
Can you give us some photos?

Yeah it’s fine, just mix up and get it on! (y) Post some pictures of your finished work mate, I’m sure some of the boys will want to see it.

Will show you the photos later :love::love:
Don't be a tease.
Flirty Reaction GIF by Martha of Miami