Aqua panel question..

Members online

Olican

Private Member
One for @Runswithscissors or anyone else in the know, viewed a job and client has fitted Knauf Aqua panel and asked for it to be skimmed, I advised that this wasn't suitable for plaster. Client told me Travis Perkins said they were.
He called for clarification and was told again yes suitable for plaster.
PXL_20201208_172024918.jpg

Plaster doesn't stick to it. Its waterproof. Its peeling really badly.Had guy once trying to dot and dab a sheet of it onto block wall and he pvaed the back of it 3 times and it didn't stick at all

Definitely not without prepping it. I skimmed over it after green gritting it once but I told the customer there was no comebacks on me as I had told him to board it. Turned up and found that on the walls

Plaster doesn't stick to it. Its waterproof. Its peeling really badly.Had guy once trying to dot and dab a sheet of it onto block wall and he pvaed the back of it 3 times and it didn't stick at all
Its not waterproof. Hence it sucks the moisture out of plaster quicker than just about anything

Its not waterproof. Hence it sucks the moisture out of plaster quicker than just about anything
Maybe, it was years ago and I just remember the constant peeling, it was only furthering into it but still nightmare to get good finish

its mostly a tile backer board , you wanna check with the tiler before just skimming , once its plastered it will affect the weight of tiles that can be used

Several problems buddy....

1 - that is the 6mm thick flooring product on a wall... too flexible for a wall (even if multi layered)

2 - traditional gypsum skims are not suitable, even after priming. The boards have VERY high suction and gypsum skims need the moisture to stay in them for so long to kick the cure.
It will bind, allow you to finish it, then a few days / weeks later shell off.... (Or delaminate off the board)

Knauf ready mixed plasters have no gypsum in them, they are polymer and marble based, so they will be fine - there is a specific Knauf Interior Skim as part of the Aquapanel range that is specifically designed for wet room and pool environments
Knauf also have a product called Knauf Aquapanel Joint Filler and Skim Coat White that is like a smoother render basecoat, this is a min 4 mm thick product with mesh applied

Knauf Aquapanel boards are NOT waterproof - they are water resistant (un-effected by water)... they will suck up water, then let it go again without being effected at all

also - DO NOT use gypsum dab adhesive... same issues as gypsum skim...
....use tile adhesive and drill and rawl plug and screw fix through the dab points

One for @Runswithscissors or anyone else in the know, viewed a job and client has fitted Knauf Aqua panel and asked for it to be skimmed, I advised that this wasn't suitable for plaster. Client told me Travis Perkins said they were.
He called for clarification and was told again yes suitable for plaster.
View attachment 56582

Hi Oli

which TP Branch? I will arrange for someone to bell them for some training...

Knauf don’t want failures or problems...

Im almost posative ive skimmed some before cant remember if it was a car crash or not, saying that ive skimned mdf & wallpaper & stll dont give a
Haha I've gone over woodchip and f**k**g hardboard at the customers request had them sign a waiver aswell aint got a clue how the plaster still stuck to hardboard I remember he txt me 2 weeks later to say its all decorated and the wall with hardboard is fine,

The wall was to be half tiled half painted, they were advised by Travis to use aqua panel and skim the area with multi :X3:
Needless to say ; I did not
might be ok to skim after a coat of grit.....same as MR board (if you follow BG's guidelines of course which a lot of clueless chancers don't on here)