aprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to doom my son to life as a plasterer when he finishes school next year I want him to do dat release at college and Im going to enquire tomoz has anyone on here tried to train there own son as Im a bit apprehensive that hes going to see the complete ******* control freek nutter that I become when I get to a job in the morning

my son ever says to me when he old "dad i want to a plasterer" im going to tan his hide lol and tell him stick to medical school lol

going to doom my son to life as a plasterer when he finishes school next year I want him to do dat release at college and Im going to enquire tomoz has anyone on here tried to train there own son as Im a bit apprehensive that hes going to see the complete ******* control freek nutter that I become when I get to a job in the morning

I've just started doing what you're planning on doing. I was taught by my old man and to be honest he was a ******* nightmare at times, always knew best and wouldn't listen to any ideas/suggestions I had. I've made it clear to my son I want hear his view on every aspect of the job as we go forward. One week in we're both really enjoying it (aches aside), I now feel like I've got the partner I've always wanted.
Oh and I'm not sending him to college but taking pics of every new thing he does ready to apply for an NVQ the same as I did. I don't see the point of him wasting one day a week being taught ways/methods I don't either use or agree with.

Last edited:
Make sure you leave the work at work. Don't sit at the dinner table moaning about how he hasn't done this or that in the day.Andy have you sent me my finish yet?

if he goes to the right college andy he will be shown the way you do it vauxhall or hammersmith and west london teach it the way you do it

if he goes to the right college andy he will be shown the way you do it vauxhall or hammersmith and west london teach it the way you do it

Well that's good to know but a tad to far to go from us and once he'd finished his A levels he couldn't wait to get out of education, so I don't think he take kindly to me suggesting college.

Be twice as hard murph I used to work with my old man not plastering but the motivations different I think if you work for family, less if anything, keep him on his toes he'll thank you in the long run

fair enough i was taught by 2 priceworkers then went to college and thought what the fcuks all this plumb and dot fibrous wtf but it does give you an understanding of the trade then i would comeback from college spouting all my new found knowledge and they would go shut up you little c**t and get it on the wall

one of the ***** smacked me with a straight edge once when i told him he was doing it wrong

i started off doing my time with my old man, we use to argue like cat and dog. in a perverse sort of way I enjoyed it spending a bit of time with him tho, you should savour time with your olds, you miss em when there gone.

i started off doing my time with my old man, we use to argue like cat and dog. in a perverse sort of way I enjoyed it spending a bit of time with him tho, you should savour time with your olds, you miss em when there gone.

You're absolutely right mate. Even now when I talk to my old man about work he just can't help himself but disagree with almost everything I say, but now it doesn't wind me up at all, I just smile inside. Funny thing is on the odd occasion I get to talk to one of his mates they'll tell me how he's always going on about how proud of me he is and how I know my stuff and yet he's never given me an ounce of praise directly. I'm going to be very different with my son, help him to learn from any mistakes and give him credit when he does well.

trouble is at 18 you think you know it all, well i did anyhow, and you thnk the world owes you a living.
a bit of harsh advice doesnt do you any harm as a youngster.

It was a ******* working with my old man he used to sack me twice a year lol but just before he died we were working together for a few years and got on really well he was pretty much labouring on me most of the time but it was a good laugh..... But to be honest i dont want my son to be a spread and i am not going to encourage him to be one.

I never argue with my dad hes like the grand master who always has the answer if im unsure of anything. Plus hes like a machine even at 56. That is when he is 100% fit which he ant at the mo cause he broke his thigh mountain biking in spain.

My brother i argue with all the time hes always straight on to the easy job

Oh and I'm not sending him to college but taking pics of every new thing he does ready to apply for an NVQ the same as I did. I don't see the point of him wasting one day a week being taught ways/methods I don't either use or agree with.

LOL come of it Andy you never went near a college so you was never taught the whys and whats you learnt off your old man who as you said "always knew best and wouldn't listen to any ideas/suggestions I had." sounds like the kettle calling the kettle. I honestly think you might need that one day appart from each other after a while and lets have it right a college apprenticeship far out weighs a couple of pics and some fella ticking a few boxes. Maybe you might even learn something off him :)
I remember when i was at college and always remembered the lads who worked for their dads hated it were F*****g useless but boy could they mix up lol.

What do you use in everyday work that you learnt at college .....that andy wouldn't be able to teach him, fibrous is a completely different sector a trade in it's own right

My old man taught me to be a chippy, the worst thing he did in hindsight was to pay me well, he was giving me £300 a week when i was 17, like a cant i was pizzed every night, and we fell out.We both agreed years ago i should of had £80 a week and he put money away for a van and my tools.

LOL come of it Andy you never went near a college so you was never taught the whys and whats you learnt off your old man who as you said "always knew best and wouldn't listen to any ideas/suggestions I had." sounds like the kettle calling the kettle. I honestly think you might need that one day appart from each other after a while and lets have it right a college apprenticeship far out weighs a couple of pics and some fella ticking a few boxes. Maybe you might even learn something off him :)
I remember when i was at college and always remembered the lads who worked for their dads hated it were F*****g useless but boy could they mix up lol.

No I never went to college but I'm comfortable with you being better qualified and no doubt a better spread than me mate as I've managed to get by as I am, and the only reason my son will get an NVQ is to get the right CSCS card, just in case, even though I've still never been asked for mine. It did strike me as strange that after getting my NVQ I didn't feel any better at my job than before I got it, strange:RpS_confused:

Does anyone out there use the CITB to finance their apprentices/trainees?

Although the money is not great, they will pay for time spent tutoring/teaching if you set up a training plan. Works out at approx £17 per 30 min training session, though realistically you would only spend 5-10 mins showing the lad how to do something.

No I never went to college but I'm comfortable with you being better qualified and no doubt a better spread than me mate as I've managed to get by as I am, and the only reason my son will get an NVQ is to get the right CSCS card, just in case, even though I've still never been asked for mine. It did strike me as strange that after getting my NVQ I didn't feel any better at my job than before I got it, strange:RpS_confused:

Your missing the point andy i wasnt having a dig lets say in 20 years time (if your still alive ;)) your lad wants to teach? And spunky if you never went to college and learnt the trade from good tutors (thats not dismissing the tutors on site) there is no point trying to explain :)

Your missing the point andy i wasnt having a dig lets say in 20 years time (if your still alive ;)) your lad wants to teach? And spunky if you never went to college and learnt the trade from good tutors (thats not dismissing the tutors on site) there is no point trying to explain :)

I didn't take it as a dig mate, just joshing.
If my son did want to go into teaching, just as I thought I wanted to, he would still be able to using an NVQ level 3 (unless things have changed recently). I did my PTTLS over a year ago now before deciding it wasn't for me.
I honestly think that if you go to college and are lucky enough to get the right teacher, as Gary and yourself feel you did then it could be a really worthwhile experience but I've known so many lads over the years that have been taught by complete morons that I'd rather not take that chance with my son.

Do you mean I've got no answer so I'm not going to explain or you've forgot that andy could be a good tutor?.....not having a dig mate :)

Do you mean I've got no answer so I'm not going to explain or you've forgot that andy could be a good tutor?.....not having a dig mate :)

Andy might of been a teacher but with only the teaching qual, that anyone can get even a thicko like you :) If you think "fibrous is a completely different sector a trade in it's own right" then your wrong. fair enough You could either be one or the other but as a fully time served spread your qualified in both. Andy it will be a long day before your lad will pick up his level 3 it would probably be quicker going the college route and he will actually learn what is REALLY needed to posses it.

by going to college your son will mix with people of his own age that could help him get work i the future

Status
Not open for further replies.