BryanJ

Answers on a postcard.

1668969564615.png

a, PVA mixed too thin.
b, PVA not used.
c, Movement in plasterboards
d, Any of the above.

If it was f**k*d it would be obvious.

I’m not saying you couldn’t skim back over it mate. It’s a judgement call to make, but I’d be wary as it’s previously been skimmed and it failed. Obviously a layer has bonded, but there’s little to guarantee it’ll keep up your new reskim. I went to a customer a few years back that had a few hairline cracks in their ceiling. Nothing too bad, and they were obviously quite house proud. I’d quoted to undercut the skim, scrim, fill and sand, but when I went to do the job, the skim started to delaminate. Turns out it was an insurance job and an over skim when the bathroom leaked. Couldn’t overskim, coving up, so gave them the choice.

I’m not saying you couldn’t skim back over it mate. It’s a judgement call to make, but I’d be wary as it’s previously been skimmed and it failed. Obviously a layer has bonded, but there’s little to guarantee it’ll keep up your new reskim. I went to a customer a few years back that had a few hairline cracks in their ceiling. Nothing too bad, and they were obviously quite house proud. I’d quoted to undercut the skim, scrim, fill and sand, but when I went to do the job, the skim started to delaminate. Turns out it was an insurance job and an over skim when the bathroom leaked. Couldn’t overskim, coving up, so gave them the choice.
Each job needs to be accessed, fair comment mate.