angle beads

Status
Not open for further replies.
hows work mate busy ? how much are you charging lately have you had to drop youre prices?

what im trying to say is, when applying the first coat do u go right up to the tip of the bead, or do go just inside the bead leaving the tip exposed. so there is room for the second coat. what i found if u covered the whole bead on the first coat it would leave a slight bulge on the second coat

im new to plastering and when i started i watched a few dvds and they dont goin to the finer details so thats why im asking the forum. also i thought it would be a little more intresting than speaking about something other than wba vs pva and how to skim over artex.

also Grantboy no offence mate but if u know so much about plastering, why didnt u try and give me a little advice, its easy to say you dont know what ur talking about, if i new everything about plastering i wouldn't be on here asking question. would i ::)

you skim right upto the tip of the bead on ure first coat, leaving about 1mm....remember ure first coat is the thickest, on the second coat u only need to run upto the tip with a thin coat to bring it level...if the plaster looks bulged compared with the tip u have applied too much. Also the very tip of the bead at the corner will show even after both coats, thats normal. will be painted. ;)

i agree with you trowel addict . i have been doing this for 25 years and you are always learning something new. it is also nice to hear how other spreads do things. cheers mate ;)

i always fill up to the edge first coat then i trowel up it with the trowel at 90 to the bead, second coat is always mixed a bit thinner than the first and goes on real thin but covers everything...
i seen a lot of not very good spreads layin on real thin both coats and they get this scooped effect, opposite to what youre on about... to be honest, only time i get a slightly ronded edge is when i aint skimming round the corner and just use the existing bead on an overskim...
and i always kepp the beads clean too... i seen a lot of people cant be arsed and it just looks crap....

Lad i used to work with rubbed the arris of the bead with a brillo pad to clean it when he had skimmed and trowelled up looks alot neater when you clean the bead off,

Lad i used to work with rubbed the arris of the bead with a brillo pad to clean it when he had skimmed and trowelled up looks alot neater when you clean the bead off,

LOL i know somone like that ;D, does look neat , but cant help thinking its not good to take the galv off

;D yeah this lad never cleaned his door linnings off till the next day said it was a better job :eek:

;D yeah this lad never cleaned his door linnings off till the next day said it was a better job :eek:
;D
the difference between just running your trowel up it towards the end of the set and scraping away like a man possessed, swearing and cursing and leaving dirty big nicks and splinters in the liner :p

what i do mate is rough out ur bead first the width of your trowel, then put the rest of your walls on leaving ur angles till last to be put on. then put ur second coat on as normal, so in effect i give me angles three coats, this way they trowel up a gud un.

The guy who taught me the fine art of plastering would always run the corner of his trowel along the bead after applying the first coat. Just a slight touch inside the tip of the bead so the second coat wouldn't gather or sit proud of the edge. 'Nickin' the bead he called it.

I'll do the same thing if I have time and always get a better finish when I do. Most of the time I can't be arsed  ;D

My teacher was a plastering Jedi.... the force isn't quite as strong in me  ;)

isnt plastering a weird and wonderfull world sometimes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.