Airless plaster on site.

4400kevin

I know there is a few threads on Airless but is anyone using on site houses, apts etc?
I have over 100k M2 to do in the next 12 months and finding it impossible to get consistent finish with skim.

Does it require sanding ?
Is quality superior to skim ?

personally im not keen.
its not as durable as plaster.
its basically taoe and joint full coverage on boards and sanded. but the price of skimm

Try thistle pure finish it’s the most consistent you will find , pulls in slightly faster than multi, lovely material to use

I know there is a few threads on Airless but is anyone using on site houses, apts etc?
I have over 100k M2 to do in the next 12 months and finding it impossible to get consistent finish with skim.

Its all them rough donegal spreads @4400kevin

Is it good for re-skims and whats the cost and availability.
Yes mate it’s just better skim , use as you would any other, reskim new boards etc , roughy £480 a pallet (56 bags ) from any merchant but needs ordering in , normally 3-7 days , some selco branches are starting to stock it

Airless is great but it won't work on poxy small houses and tiny cupboards.
Knauf do some McCarthy stone sites with airless
It's expensive compared to multi so difficult to change the developers over, but the quality is there.

I'm paying good rates but it makes no difference, even it was bad money would you not leave a good finish and move on if you can agree extra per M2
So are you saying that there aren't any decent skimmers round your way? Seems hard to believe if I'm honest.
So, if there are guys out there that can do a decent job, you're not paying enough to attract them.
It is usually as simple as that.

I'm 4.50 to 5.00 / M2.
Which is irrelevant really price should not determine quality.
I'm honestly not trying to wind you up or have an argument, but, if the right people aren't coming to work for you then you're not paying the right money.
Price does, always has, and always will affect quality of work for the majority of guys.
Trust me I've run big jobs and needed labour and know how it works.

Of course @4400kevin you may have got the job by quoting too low to be able to offer enough to get the right people. I've done that myself in the past when given misleading schedules by builders.

@Danny this edit button is bloody useful, I'm surprised none of us suggested it sooner

Was looking into airless for a couple of full reskims
Would you advise against it ?
Is it something I could just rent the tools and have a go at without going on a course befog
Airless is great but it won't work on poxy small houses and tiny cupboards.
Knauf do some McCarthy stone sites with airless
It's expensive compared to multi so difficult to change the developers over, but the quality is there.

Was looking into airless for a couple of full reskims
Would you advise against it ?
Is it something I could just rent the tools and have a go at without going on a course befog
It's all depends on the job. If you can rent or borrow a machine for a week, all you need is a sander and extractor.
I did some reskim with it in mid summer when weather was good so it dried quick but now the winter comes air drying materials will be slow to dry.
You can't just bang it on like multi if you have to straighten a few walls as it will sag, crack and fail, you have to go on tight.
I don't intend to talk you out of it, maybe get someone in who already have a machine and give them a few rooms so you can get hands on with it, much better than any course.
Hope it helps

It's all depends on the job. If you can rent or borrow a machine for a week, all you need is a sander and extractor.
I did some reskim with it in mid summer when weather was good so it dried quick but now the winter comes air drying materials will be slow to dry.
You can't just bang it on like multi if you have to straighten a few walls as it will sag, crack and fail, you have to go on tight.
I don't intend to talk you out of it, maybe get someone in who already have a machine and give them a few rooms so you can get hands on with it, much better than any course.
Hope it helps
This is what's it like application wise

IMG_20180601_074948.jpg
IMG_20180601_074948.jpg

45m² kitchen/lounge after it's been airlessed and spray painted

It can be finished however its quicker to knock it back once and the sand. Also leaves a better job.

Finish is superior and more consistent

Ok thanks Zolco
So more time on preparation and flattening walls
Most reskims we do the walls are really bad so not sure how much quicker airless would be
Do you think it’s a better system or only on certain jobs?

The Knauf Airless system is being used a fair bit in residential apartments and plots, has been used on several Crest Nicholson sites, McCarthy Stone sites, recently 480 apartments in Stratford at the Olympic park. cleaner, less hassle from the decorators, a much more consistent finish.
Give me a call if you want to discuss further.

The Knauf Airless system is being used a fair bit in residential apartments and plots, has been used on several Crest Nicholson sites, McCarthy Stone sites, recently 480 apartments in Stratford at the Olympic park. cleaner, less hassle from the decorators, a much more consistent finish.
Give me a call if you want to discuss further.
What hassle from the decorators?

Ok thanks Zolco
So more time on preparation and flattening walls
Most reskims we do the walls are really bad so not sure how much quicker airless would be
Do you think it’s a better system or only on certain jobs?
It's all air drying products, like easyfill even if it sets ie skins over you can't sand it, doesn't like heavy coats but I haven't tried the backing coat ones I just straighten out with bonding then spray over it. I only seen the backing coat applied at knauf but it seemed very slow to apply to make your money on it. I reckon you would need a different machine for that to lash it on other than the mighty Graco mk 5. That's with no disrespect to any. This years good weather definitely helped lot of people out as it was drying like mad. It does give an impeccable finish but you have to get your head around it, bit of taping experience helps a lot too how I see it, as that's where you can lose a lot of time.
If you haven't got the meterage in front of you it's ain't worth it in my opinion. I see many people pissing about with it on tiny rooms by the time they get it done you would've skimmed it in multi and you could paint it 2 days later especially in the weather we had.
Rates on it not the greatest either, recently got offered 1.50 for taping, and 75p per metre per coat for spraying no sanding, on another job 140 dayrate, flipping dire if you ask me.
If you do whole refurb jobs it could work as you can cream the decorating even if you just prime or mist coat everything and topcoat the ceilings. You can spray paint a whole house in a day which is not a bad money as long as the weather is good. There's lots of ins and outs to it, try going out with a gang who does it day in day out to see for yourself. I only ever been to Clive at knauf, and trying to make most of it up as I go along. Knauf course is free, there's many courses out there but I think mostly geared for decorators.
It will become more popular I think in years to come but we use different building methods and materials to the continent which makes it a limited market so it's a hard sale, this just my own personal views.
You also have to factor in the setup costs, which makes people steer away from it as it's a big outlay compared to hawk and trowel and you need constant jobs to make it worthwhile. Around 3k needed easily to get you going.
As Clive said above drop him a pm they run many courses in the UK foc.

Thanks zolco for the informative reply
Them rates look shocking to me
I know a local firm that done airless on a job I tendered for .
The top floor was airless and the other 2 floors was skimmed due to the poor quality of application and finish but it was end of winter so inexperience probably did not help

Thanks zolco for the informative reply
Them rates look shocking to me
I know a local firm that done airless on a job I tendered for .
The top floor was airless and the other 2 floors was skimmed due to the poor quality of application and finish but it was end of winter so inexperience probably did not help
No worries.
Yes rates ain't the greatest but I imagine that was through 6 middleman.
I'm shocked tbh they f**k*d it up as it's foolproof, impossible to mess it up.
I'm sure if you speak to Clive from knauf, or currier on here or someone from professionals spraying forum on fb they can put you in touch with someone who does it day in day.