After artex (textured ceiling removal)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radek996

Hi everyone,
I recently remove (scraped off) textured ceiling in one of rooms in mu house(hard work) ;-)
I have seen few cracks on ceiling and I`ve make them ever wider before I will place a scrim tape.
I do have few questions:
1. Can I fill the cracks with joint compound and then put scrim on and plaster it?
2. Should I scrim corners (wall to ceiling),

Or can you tell me what I should do next?
I mainly know what I should do but I was thinking about putting scrim with joint compound (2-3 layers) and then pva whole ceiling and plaster it.
I need to add that this is old plaster to be plastered again.
I will add photo so you can have a look how this is looks like.
Many thanks!

Attachments

• 20151210_132148.jpg
    20151210_132148.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 750
  • 20151210_132221.jpg
    20151210_132221.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 538
  • 20151210_132232.jpg
    20151210_132232.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 555
Can`t I just scrim it and plaster it?
If I will put joint compound with scrim to make it more crack resistant and then plaster it?

well, I want to avoid overboarding if possible ;-)
Why?
Rip off the coving,overboard and skim ceiling..patch in or skim walls ..no use messing about with a duff ceiling just to keep the coving,without coving sharp clean edges look better than a patched up ceiling that will cause you grief again in the not to distant future.
Vince

Can`t I just scrim it and plaster it?
If I will put joint compound with scrim to make it more crack resistant and then plaster it?
Of course you can....but theres a good chance you'll be fillin the cracks again in the near future.
and the time you'll spend filling and scriming you be aswell just re sheeting it...far better job(y)....
why dont you want to board It?

To save cash fire some fixings in along those cracks where movement is evident then blue grit and first coat multi finish few handfuls of bonding in and bed in render mesh (used on ewi work externally ) let it go in then second coat with multi and trowel up accordingly anf jobs a gudgeon

Thank you all for reply.
I know the best think will be overbording but: I have never plaster before so I was thinkin to try on this ceiling first + ceiling is quite low so I don`t want to drop it down even more(I know its only 1inch or so ;-) )
I`ve already put some drywall screws to secure ceiling and also primed with pva.
Some people recomend using gripfill to fill in the cracks and then scrim tape and joint compound or multi finish only.
Im trying to find best way to secure these cracks.

I also know that ceiling is very hard job for plastering, for someone who never did it before but Im happy to give it a go.
And if cracks will come back I will take it down(ceiling) and put up new plasterboards.
?????

Thank you all for reply.
I know the best think will be overbording but: I have never plaster before so I was thinkin to try on this ceiling first + ceiling is quite low so I don`t want to drop it down even more(I know its only 1inch or so ;-) )
I`ve already put some drywall screws to secure ceiling and also primed with pva.
Some people recomend using gripfill to fill in the cracks and then scrim tape and joint compound or multi finish only.
Im trying to find best way to secure these cracks.

I also know that ceiling is very hard job for plastering, for someone who never did it before but Im happy to give it a go.
And if cracks will come back I will take it down(ceiling) and put up new plasterboards.
?????
You don't need to take it down ..probably the worst thing you could do,the mess is unreal then you have to clear it all up and dispose of it.which is another time consuming cost.
If a mechanic told me I need a new battery cus my van wouldn't start I would defo take his advise as I know nothing about mechanics.
Good luck..please post pictures for us when it's done,
Thanks vince.

Will do :))
I hope that the result will be acceptable :/
As I know now you all recomend overboarding, but can I get good result without?
How to secure these cracks? gripfill ? or just as it should be? - scrim tape and then plastering or fill in cracks with joint compound and then scrim tape and multi finish?
What is the best recipe to make it looking good?
Many thank everyone! :)

Why ask for advise, get it then ignore it? Carry on mate your gonna f**k it up and be out of pocket for labour and materials and back at square one.

No, no, Im very grateful for advice but as you now know I never did any plastering so I will try with the ceiling in such a condition and then I will overboard if the job I will do will be horrible.
I don`t want to overboard and then f***k it up.
Also I haven`t got any experience and I have read here and there that re-plastering is possible after artex removal that`s why I was a bit surprised that all of you recommended overbording (so maybe my ceiling is in s**t condition? ;/)

And again, Im really grateful for all your advice.

No, no, Im very grateful for advice but as you now know I never did any plastering so I will try with the ceiling in such a condition and then I will overboard if the job I will do will be horrible.
I don`t want to overboard and then f***k it up.
Also I haven`t got any experience and I have read here and there that re-plastering is possible after artex removal that`s why I was a bit surprised that all of you recommended overbording (so maybe my ceiling is in s**t condition? ;/)

And again, Im really grateful for all your advice.

Yes its cos your ceiling is in s**t condition and cracked, I think the advice would have been different if the ceiling had looked sound.

ok, I will go to b&q tomorrow for biggest plasterboards. The problem will be locating all the nails and screws. I will be worried as I know that wires are over there. I have magnetic stud finder so let`s hope It will be accurate.
What you will recommend for joints between plasterboards? scrim or paper tape?
When I was removing artex I have had noticed there was a paper tape along the crack so I will probably try scrim.

Tap holes through the existing board at either end to find joists, then ping a chalk line across so you know where screws need to go....use longish screws 50mm....and use scrim tape. Might be better with 6 x 3 if youre on your own unless you a big bloke 8 x 4 will be tough on your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.