Advice regarding damp ceiling

stephan

Hey guys,

I'm needing some advise from experienced plasterers regarding replastering a ceiling that has damp in one stretch of a corner....see pics attached for visuals of the problem

Now I'll try and be as detailed as I can so you have as much info as possible...

I live in a rental and the ground floor toilet had been leaking for a while before I had moved in. It obviously had been going on for some time as the floor boards had curled and affected the lower floor bathroom ceiling which is directly below it.

The landlord eventually sorted it out, well he stopped the leak continuing, it was the toilet cistern apparently it had a hairline crack which was the culprit. The whole toilet was replaced and the floor redone. Since then no leaks are showing now and the floor is dry.

However the ceiling in the lower bathroom got messed up. One area is still damp which i guess is a result of this leak and water droplets keep coming about only in this area. I thought at first there was still a problem perhaps a leaky pipe beneth the floor boards. Ive wiped them away and they only reappear when the shower has been used, again I'm assuming its condensation because everywhere else is dry and the extractor fan is working, and this area particualrly affected is directly under where their toilet upstairs is -where the leak initially happened and is still damp

From reading bits and pieces I think this area would remain damp even if the leak was fixed due to a long time of water soakage.

Anyway ive convinced my landlord for me to replaster this bathroom ceiling as a practice project.

(For those who haven't read my introduction in joining this community I'm trying to change career to be a plasterer, so whilst I look for work, get as much experience as possible hoping to find someone to take me on, this is a small project for me to get involved in to practice. But obviously I want to do a good job and ensure I go about things properly).

So how should I go about doing this?

I saw a video where someone dealt with a damp ceiling by scraping off all the flaky paint and then painting over this area with a primer/ sealer and then went over it with a joint compound, sanded it down and once dried, plastered over it. Is this correct?

What would you guys recommend?

Cheers in advance....

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_184832.jpg
    IMG_20170116_184832.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 682
  • IMG_20170116_184628.jpg
    IMG_20170116_184628.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 663
  • IMG_20170116_184640.jpg
    IMG_20170116_184640.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 746
  • IMG_20170116_184755.jpg
    IMG_20170116_184755.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 614
I would cut out the damaged section then check if the leaks have been fixed, put some strips along the joists you have exposed. Overboard the complete ceiling rather than f**k about with the artex scraping and priming then could still fail. You will also get rid of that s**t gap above the tiles, get some boarding practice and a full ceiling to skim.

First port of call, is there an extractor? If it is, is it working? Ideally should come on when you put the lights on to avoid this in the future.
Anyway, it looks like artex delaminated, scrape back, pva or grit then skim on the cheap side or as above overboard then skim

I would cut out the damaged section then check if the leaks have been fixed, put some strips along the joists you have exposed. Overboard the complete ceiling rather than f**k about with the artex scraping and priming then could still fail. You will also get rid of that s**t gap above the tiles, get some boarding practice and a full ceiling to skim.

yup :D

Brilliant!

Thanks for all your replies guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah I think I best cut that section out and double check there's no leakage before doing anything else. I'm living in it after all...

First port of call, is there an extractor? If it is, is it working? Ideally should come on when you put the lights on to avoid this in the future.
Anyway, it looks like artex delaminated, scrape back, pva or grit then skim on the cheap side or as above overboard then skim
Yeah the extractor fan is working fine. Everywhere is dry a part from that section. Its damp and only the droplets appear when the shower is on on that section only. But gonna cut it out and double check all is good :)

Once the damp has got in the plasterboard it will always stay there no matter what you do,for me it's a pull down and reskim no doubt you have probably been told it's lifestyle living no trickle vents poor extractor fan don't open windows,these for me are delay tactics would Defo pull down and redo

And trap what's already in there? How do we know that in 6 months time the mould won't start showing through new stuff

Lol the mould won't travel through the board because it will die with lack of moisture, you could wipe it off with a cloth if you were worried :)

Lol the mould won't travel through the board because it will die with lack of moisture, you could wipe it off with a cloth if you were worried :)
But if was already in the board with out coming through yet at some point it will come through how do you know it's just that section you haven't see above the ceiling, water is very unforgiving and might be coming in one place but will travel to find an escape and will keep going til it does I deal with a lot of mould jobs and water leaks and I always advise pull down if severe all the wiping with a cloth is doing is putting a plaster on it imo

I must admit flynny, it's very , very rare I disagree with you, but this has to be one of them cases.

The water will find its lowest point and that's usually where the leak is so just pull that bit down there is more chance of the top skin drying out rather than get wetter and soaking through.

But it's already in the board and will come out at some point thus creatin the black spots poor air circulation and trapped moisture equals mould

I think everyone is missing the point - there is water droplets on the ceiling after the showers been on, @stephan, you need to immediately get your girlfriend into the shower so we can see if the shower water is splashing off her body onto the ceiling....take lots of photos and post here, as there maybe some pervy letches on here send the photos direct to me - and hurry up as the missus is out shopping and I've got a new box of Andrew I can crack open

Didnt flynny say cut the damp plaster away and then lay strips and reboard...as youve cut the damp board out and leak fixed that means no more damp and no damp boards...or did I not read it right

Didnt flynny say cut the damp plaster away and then lay strips and reboard...as youve cut the damp board out and leak fixed that means no more damp and no damp boards...or did I not read it right
I think he is talking about mould that nobody can see, where water was hiding above just waiting for someone to overboard the ceiling before slowly soaking it's way through :)

I think he is talking about mould that nobody can see, where water was hiding above just waiting for someone to overboard the ceiling before slowly soaking it's way through :)
The mould doesn't appear over night it takes time so if you just cut out that section then over boarded and it did come through on the other part of ceiling you would look a right nob so would always suggest taking whole lot down come on flynny it's a bathroom ceiling surely around 3 boards max even you could handle that

No water hiding if leak fixed and wet board cut away....anyway im out flynny as I dont like to be on your side....you gotta understand its no good for my rep(y)

Lodan no offence mate but you been in game 5 mins I deal with mould and water leak damage on a weekly basis so I would like to think I know what I'm going on about its like me saying stuff to the machine render boys how to do their job I ain't got a clue

The mould doesn't appear over night it takes time so if you just cut out that section then over boarded and it did come through on the other part of ceiling you would look a right nob so would always suggest taking whole lot down come on flynny it's a bathroom ceiling surely around 3 boards max even you could handle that
Hmmmmm hidden mould this could be the new rising damp lol have you got any pics of hidden mould? Xx

Lodan no offence mate but you been in game 5 mins I deal with mould and water leak damage on a weekly basis so I would like to think I know what I'm going on about its like me saying stuff to the machine render boys how to do their job I ain't got a clue
Amazing he clicked on in five minutes it takes some people a lot longer ;)

No offence to you either pagey but mould comes from damp, if you remove damp then no mould as there's no moisture for it grow it on, I understand how mould grows and why

So how do you know none of the other boards are affected if your only taking that one part that's affected down?u think that when you get a leak it will only go to one spot? I've been to jobs where the leak is no way near where the ceiling has fallen? Mould regardless doesn't happen over night poor ventilation is a key factor and once in the board the board is finished, I know I'm right and I will stick to doing my way u can carry on lashing up jobs for a quick buck

Hmmmmm hidden mould this could be the new rising damp lol have you got any pics of hidden mould? Xx
How can I have pictures if it's hidden? Next one I go to I will take a picture of an affected area then pull down the rest I will show you the damage on the boards from the mould in an area where it hasn't started showing yet i done one this week already so I know for a fact I'm correct your looking for a rise and always have to be right,I deal with the stuff so I can trust my own judgement

So how do you know none of the other boards are affected if your only taking that one part that's affected down?u think that when you get a leak it will only go to one spot? I've been to jobs where the leak is no way near where the ceiling has fallen? Mould regardless doesn't happen over night poor ventilation is a key factor and once in the board the board is finished, I know I'm right and I will stick to doing my way u can carry on lashing up jobs for a quick buck
Lashin up jobs for a quick buck?....f**k off.....amazing how you change when someone disagrees with you.