Advice pls

Members online

vfr12

MOTORC*NT
3EAD8DEC-FEE5-40B0-B716-AB2085B2F1E9.jpeg
well, I have to admit since I started doing some domestic work I have seen things I have never imagined . That said, I need advice on how to tackle this brick work cos if it’s down to me I’ll start from the foundation, but I am not a bricklayer and the customer is not very keen on that idea either .

The bricks in the corner with the extension are completely knackered and I can fix they somehow :rolleyes:
3EAD8DEC-FEE5-40B0-B716-AB2085B2F1E9.jpeg

but then I discovered the whole bottom of the wall is not in better condition either , there are visual bumps where the brick wall has come out . It’s beyond me how is still standing tbh

48E1E039-FDC1-4D53-BFB7-44AE3CD8C92F.jpeg

AEFA08DE-CDBF-4498-8420-BEF710E96ED2.jpeg

Thanks guys , advice much appreciated, I knew I can count on you! Advice taken on board, literally! You’ll be amazed what you can do with the waitress from Wetherspoon and some foam :D

DF604627-B05A-4FB4-A79B-E87AAFD434C8.jpeg

You could go hit and miss with the brickwork at the bottom and replace the bottom 6 or 7 course or whatever is needed but, it could turn out to be cheaper to take the whole outer skin off and start again with blocks. If I was there for a hack off and re render I would step back give them a reputable builders number and tell them to call me when it was sorted.

first thing I would do is get all that render off first it's got to come off anyway then take it from there is hard to guess like this it might be worth renewing the outer skin first courses up to damp with engineering brick then block it's hard to tell really till you have a picture to look at

To me that looks like you have three choices....
1. Do it right.....hack off the loose, dig out to find or make a footing, and rebuild.
2. Do it wrong and live with it.
3. Walk away.....invoke the right to have it done properly or not by a builder, and then just work your magic.

I’d be for number 1, and it were my client and he wanted anything less I’d walk.
Just saying.

It is a nightmare job tbh . The walls are having bellies on each one. Levelling the walls will be difficult, if not impossible. First assessment it will need verge trims under the facia. Extension is eml over ply. Access is with full compliance with the whole picture. Can’t be bothered now to download the pictures from my camera, but the wall above is bare brick.... with pure cement and water patches. And on the top of that it’s a lime job.Told the customer I’ll give him quote for the render and hacking off , but in my opinion he has to rebuild that wall in sections, supporting it with first. He wasn’t very keen on that , but I told him he doesn’t have a choice. I can literally pull the bricks with my hand. The domestic kingdom is a quite an eye opener eh?

It is a nightmare job tbh . The walls are having bellies on each one. Levelling the walls will be difficult, if not impossible. First assessment it will need verge trims under the facia. Extension is eml over ply. Access is with full compliance with the whole picture. Can’t be bothered now to download the pictures from my camera, but the wall above is bare brick.... with pure cement and water patches. And on the top of that it’s a lime job.Told the customer I’ll give him quote for the render and hacking off , but in my opinion he has to rebuild that wall in sections, supporting it with first. He wasn’t very keen on that , but I told him he doesn’t have a choice. I can literally pull the bricks with my hand. The domestic kingdom is a quite an eye opener eh?
It's no too dissimilar to site work when there's no roof or windows etc to make life easy, but on domestic you crock up one job, will stick with your name for a while and customer always right even when they not lol

he's trying to mask a structural problem with render fraid he will have to dip into his pocket

If you're not happy with the risk putting it right then tell him he must get a structural engineers report on it !
Then you just follow the instructions of the report to the letter and the risk is with the engineer if hes happy with you sorting it.

If you're not happy with the risk putting it right then tell him he must get a structural engineers report on it !
Then you just follow the instructions of the report to the letter and the risk is with the engineer if hes happy with you sorting it.
Could’nt agree more.

Any advancement on this job @vfr12 or have you just left that one before as they say

Any advancement on this job @vfr12 or have you just left that one before as they say
Well , sometimes people are just kicking their luck . The guy said they are happy with my quote and like to proceed . However, he did a "research"and "someone " has told him that materials will cost x and will take y days to finish it and if I can take £250 of the bill. I did backed up my quote and I said I am not taking even £1 off and explained why. Did the numbers with his calculator and showed him the invoice for materials I paid the night before and told him he owes me x amount + extra for delivery cos he is splitting the job and that was not in the quote.Funny enough..... he agreed , then I wished him all the best with the project in very polite manner. Tbh the guy looked alright and I liked him . He insisted, but I said no. I don't bargain. If you had something to say or ask you do before you say yes.