Advice on wall prep

Members online

amavadia

Morning

I am renovating my house by myself. Not in the trade at all but like to give everything a go.

My party wall are all brick with browning and skim on top. There were lots of blown patches so decided to take it all off and put soundshield boards on instead. Ive taken the plaster off, removed the old pipes and cables and filled the channels.

I then used a wire brush attachment on the drill to take off most the loose bits of plaster from the brick. It is still pretty dusty however and if you run your finger along a brick you can see a layer of plaster residue.

Whats the best next step? Should I wash the brickwork to try get it off or do people just PVA it or any other options?

Boards will be dot and dabbed after.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 201
Rake out vertical brick joints ( usually easiest ) where the dabs are going
Better off using foam addy

Cheers guys.

Didn't realise the boards alone wouldn't help with sound. I don't have a lot of space to build out studs or anything.

Does it make any difference whether I use 12.5mm or 15mm standard boards in that case or would it be better to have the wall plastered directly on the brick for sound?

Its a kitchen wall which will have wall units.

Cheers guys.

Didn't realise the boards alone wouldn't help with sound. I don't have a lot of space to build out studs or anything.

Does it make any difference whether I use 12.5mm or 15mm standard boards in that case or would it be better to have the wall plastered directly on the brick for sound?

Its a kitchen wall which will have wall units.
Get it solid plastered.

If your soundproofing at least use sound coat before dabbing but still wont do much i normally build a metal wall with acoustic insulation then resi bars then 2 layers of sound boards no joints overlapping and sound seal around perimeter

If your soundproofing at least use sound coat before dabbing but still wont do much i normally build a metal wall with acoustic insulation then resi bars then 2 layers of sound boards no joints overlapping and sound seal around perimeter
Cheers. I don't have that much to spend on the wall. Its not too bad, was more a case of if there was anything I could do easily to help. Its worse on the other side of the house but I don't hear people or music but their kitchen is next to my lounge so I can hear drawers from their units mainly. I think this is because the vibrations are transferring through physical materials as the units will be attached to the wall itself. I used soundcoat when I did that wall and a single layer of soundshield boards but like you said barely made any difference.

Sticking with foam instead will help sound block board but don't let boards touch sides. Pack around. Pull Packers then fill 4mm gap with foam..
That's my understanding but mixed adhesive is too solid and sound travels through it

Not leaving house now mate . f**k it couldnt cope with little en going hospital on his own . Ebike funds gonna have to take a hit
You’ve got to live you’re life geez but you are definitely doing the right thing. Having zero contact with strangers is the way forward, Family first mate! (y) ;)

You’ve got to live you’re life geez but you are definitely doing the right thing. Having zero contact with strangers is the way forward, Family first mate! (y) ;)
Yeah . I go supermarket once a week now. Out on bike every other day and we.ll take dogs over fields for a hour

Yeah . I go supermarket once a week now. Out on bike every other day and we.ll take dogs over fields for a hour
Supermarkets are horrendous places at the minute ain’t they. We’re using local places for necessity supplies.

Good job your back online Andy , everyone needs cheering up

Sticking with foam instead will help sound block board but don't let boards touch sides. Pack around. Pull Packers then fill 4mm gap with foam..
That's my understanding but mixed adhesive is too solid and sound travels through it

Will the foam adhesive stick to a dusty wall?

Will kitchen wall units go ok onto it with the foam?