Advice for a big nurley ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Guys,

Got a large (well, large for me) ceiling on soon which is stipple artex over board which has warped all over the place, due to loads from roof trusses ( bungalow). As normal, customer don't want it over boarding as they don't want to replace the coving so I've put in a price to skim.....

anyway, its about 28m in all however as I'll be on my own, I was wondering if I could do anything to keep the gear workable for that little bit longer? I'm gonna use bondit over the artex but, would a pva coat on top/beneath help or hinder?
Also, I've heard guys talk about a little pb adhesive in the mix acts as a retarder...but never tried it myself.

Any assistance appreciated.

If you think you'll struggle then mix 1.5 bags of finish ... smash that on and flatten (leaving a wet edge).... make sure your buckets are loaded then mix same again ... flatten .... then bag and half again for topping - it can be done depending how quick you are.... Or if that's too hard, do steps 1 and 2 ... have some lunch then pva your 1st coat and then just fire a thinner coat on ..... did this once on a bigger ceiling but the room was empty and was on stilts so I wasn't dragging boards etc about ... not ideal but will buy you some time with suction ...
As for PVA on bondit ive not seen it myself ...... stick to the instructions on the bucket :RpS_thumbup:

Just get someone to give you a hand, cos if you cant control it, its gonna go off on you and look shite and you might end up re doing it

I would just use pva over the artex. Then add trisodium citrate to the mixing water for the first coat.
Never had any problems doing it this way.

I would just use pva over the artex. Then add trisodium citrate to the mixing water for the first coat.
Never had any problems doing it this way.

Rolling gauge bag at a time but you'll get loads of time with it anyway with it being painted, nice thick mix to first coat, spat, drop back double it up

No offence lads but if we're looking at slowing down the setting off plaster then you shouldn't really be working on ya Todd! Get someone in as arti said mate! Take a loss on one job is better than making a bad name for your self and going back to to the whole lot again! Out of pocket even more!

Guys,

Got a large (well, large for me) ceiling on soon which is stipple artex over board which has warped all over the place, due to loads from roof trusses ( bungalow). As normal, customer don't want it over boarding as they don't want to replace the coving so I've put in a price to skim.....

anyway, its about 28m in all however as I'll be on my own, I was wondering if I could do anything to keep the gear workable for that little bit longer? I'm gonna use bondit over the artex but, would a pva coat on top/beneath help or hinder?
Also, I've heard guys talk about a little pb adhesive in the mix acts as a retarder...but never tried it myself.

Any assistance appreciated.

28m is not a big ceiling mate. A couple of lads off here did 100m ceiling recently and said they were dragging there feet doing it.

Search a the rolling set on here that should help you out. Other than that just man up and get on with it.

No offence lads but if we're looking at slowing down the setting off plaster then you shouldn't really be working on ya Todd! Get someone in as arti said mate! Take a loss on one job is better than making a bad name for your self and going back to to the whole lot again! Out of pocket even more!

You volunteering? I'll put you up in the spare room and a bowl of shreddies in the morning?.

A rolling set sounds like a plan.....will get a lad in too I think, keep my trowel topped up. As you say...rep is worth more than one job......

28m is not a big ceiling mate. A couple of lads off here did 100m ceiling recently and said they were dragging there feet doing it.

Search a the rolling set on here that should help you out. Other than that just man up and get on with it.

As I said, all things considered, to me it's a big ceiling.

Make your first coat a mix of 1third thistle bonding coat and multi, this will let you get the whole lot on and it should hold it back, don't be too tight with it.Make sure you mix more than you need and when you go back to the beginning flatten down with this as a tight half coat if you know what I mean. Once the first is flattened and under controll leave for ten minutes before your second coat which I would put on thicker than a plasterboard second coat.
The other way I do it is to put on a tight second coat followed again by another tight second coat. This is because your Artex ceiling could be thick or thin and the temperature maybe humid, hot or cold and only ongoing experience will tell you next time how to tackle it.

Guys,

you will never make a decent job of that ceiling. you will not get a trowel to fit it.
take cove down , if needed pack out joists with 4" x 1" timber then overboard , skim and cove.
your are supposed to be the expert, tell the customer what needs to be done. i would not even think about skimming on this ceiling.

Guys,

you will never make a decent job of that ceiling. you will not get a trowel to fit it.
take cove down , if needed pack out joists with 4" x 1" timber then overboard , skim and cove.
your are supposed to be the expert, tell the customer what needs to be done. i would not even think about skimming on this ceiling.

Afraid this happens too often at the minute, of course I advised the ceiling needed to be replaced or at least over boarded however, they wouldn't go for it. No point walking away from a job if it's not what you want to do, customer won't thank you for it and there'll be no money going in the bank.

Afraid this happens too often at the minute, of course I advised the ceiling needed to be replaced or at least over boarded however, they wouldn't go for it. No point walking away from a job if it's not what you want to do, customer won't thank you for it and there'll be no money going in the bank.

In an ideal world you could do as Malc says but as you say in your situation at the minute maybe not, hopefully down the line when your as loaded as Malc then you can have choices. Best of luck.

you have got to sell yourself better! tell the customer what you are going to do for them. then you will be putting more money in the bank and doing a quality job.

Stipple artex, and boards warped and you have a coving line to meet to.....!! If I were you I wud get the coving down at least if not full ceiling!!! 28m2 is managable but u have to remember you are on ur own. And most likely will take alot of gear to cover it.!!! Are you going loose the coving line???

Could be a nightmare for you if am honest..
Reputation means everything. .. I would advide the best option for u. Not them.

I'm trying to get as much experience on the trowel as possible at the mo ( just going through college on a career change ) so the offer is there if you are not to far from Milton Keynes?

I'm trying to get as much experience on the trowel as possible at the mo ( just going through college on a career change ) so the offer is there if you are not to far from Milton Keynes?

Sorry bud, thought you were taking the piss. I'm a good 2.5 hrs from you, good luck tho .....

Nope I'm geniune mate, hope it goes well for you. I've done a few little bits and Bob's myself and I panic right up till I finish then **** myself that I've ****** it after its done but so far so good. Not perfect but I'm very self critical. I've still plenty of learning and perfect ing to do.

Just get another lad in with you. If your not confident with that size of ceiling find an experienced hand and pay them. If you have a decent price in for the job you will

1 still make money
2 the job will be done quicker
3 look like a finished job should
4 you will gain so much experience working with someone who knows what they are doing and have been round the block.

Stick a post on the plasterer looking for plasterer and I'm sure that there will be somebody within your distance to come and give you a gauge.

Hope it goes well

Just get another lad in with you. If your not confident with that size of ceiling find an experienced hand and pay them. If you have a decent price in for the job you will

1 still make money
2 the job will be done quicker
3 look like a finished job should
4 you will gain so much experience working with someone who knows what they are doing and have been round the block.

Stick a post on the plasterer looking for plasterer and I'm sure that there will be somebody within your distance to come and give you a gauge.

Hope it goes well

I'm confident.....honest:RpS_scared:

900 Hop up, rolling set with a lad running the gear and flattening off. Should be ok. Anyone know if I can do time lapse video with an iPhone? If so, I'll get it on tape for comment (banter not allowed!).

Status
Not open for further replies.