Advice for a big nurley ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah no probz mate , if anything buy another hop up and get a long batten that will fit in then u cover more space and if u have the laddy there one on each end to move along

Guys,

Got a large (well, large for me) ceiling on soon which is stipple artex over board which has warped all over the place, due to loads from roof trusses ( bungalow). As normal, customer don't want it over boarding as they don't want to replace the coving so I've put in a price to skim.....

anyway, its about 28m in all however as I'll be on my own, I was wondering if I could do anything to keep the gear workable for that little bit longer? I'm gonna use bondit over the artex but, would a pva coat on top/beneath help or hinder?
Also, I've heard guys talk about a little pb adhesive in the mix acts as a retarder...but never tried it myself.

Any assistance appreciated.
Hi pal, I would scrape, pva, then blue grit(have had some issues with blue grit sucking in, in the past!) and do a rolling set. Mix a bag, or bag and half up at a time, & keep falling back to flatten, if you go to tesco, get the cream of tartar in the blue tube for around £1 & add this about a capfull per bag! You'll even have time for a cuppa! The more time you spend prepping, & setting up the easier it'll be ; ).

As I said, all things considered, to me it's a big ceiling.

I agree mate, I could handle that on my own, but wouldn't want to go any bigger! Why put yourself through it!? I think anywhere around the 30m mark is enough for one man from start to finish, we did a 102m2 ceiling in a rolling set & breezed it, there were 3 spreads and a lab that can lay on though!

28m is not a big ceiling mate. A couple of lads off here did 100m ceiling recently and said they were dragging there feet doing it.

Search a the rolling set on here that should help you out. Other than that just man up and get on with it.

Thanks for that mate to be fair I think the MP finish helped as doubt we'd have cracked it in one go with multi?? As Ben says (Spankysouthport) a rolling gauge but at least get a lad in to mix for you?? Hope this helps?? :RpS_unsure:

You volunteering? I'll put you up in the spare room and a bowl of shreddies in the morning?.

A rolling set sounds like a plan.....will get a lad in too I think, keep my trowel topped up. As you say...rep is worth more than one job......

Hallelujah my brother and praise the lord for the prayer of a rolling set :RpS_thumbsup:

:RpS_lol:

900 Hop up, rolling set with a lad running the gear and flattening off. Should be ok. Anyone know if I can do time lapse video with an iPhone? If so, I'll get it on tape for comment (banter not allowed!).

I say again...... But thanks for the comments.....

is this cream of tarter genuine????

I've heard of it but not used it myself?? Stick to getting a lad mixing buckets at a time with clean water, helping to flatten etc and you will be fine mate :RpS_thumbup:

Ave heard of it aswell never used it though , i would watch how much u put in if to much surely wud weaken the plaster etc . I dont know like though ? Lol

If it's to big and you cannot get no help just join it no point busting your balls and struggling we have to join plenty of stairwell walls due to scaffold issues never see the join when painted

@Hairybear !!!
Advice for a big nurley ceiling

Last edited by a moderator:
How about forming a shadow gap.
You can over board the ceiling leave say a 12mm gap up to the coving all the way round the room and finish the board edge that meets the coving with a board end stop bead.

How about forming a shadow gap.
You can over board the ceiling leave say a 12mm gap up to the coving all the way round the room and finish the board edge that meets the coving with a board end stop bead.

hmm....I think I'm confused.

but it's been a long day. :RpS_sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.