Acrylic Render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads, we have until now stayed away from acrylic rendering, we mostly do mono's, s&c, and internals, recently we have been asked to look at two acrylic jobs approx 1200m2, we have some reservations regarding both

The first one is a Kilsaran base coat with a Baumit acrylic finish

The second is a 20mm s&c in two coats with a Krend acyrlic finish

Has anyone done the above, if so whats the do's and don't's

Our concerns are regarding certification, due to the new building reg's over here you can get sued out the gate very easily.

Any advice would be welcome

dont you think thats alot of meterage if you havent done it before just to have a go?

Hi lads, we have until now stayed away from acrylic rendering, we mostly do mono's, s&c, and internals, recently we have been asked to look at two acrylic jobs approx 1200m2, we have some reservations regarding both

The first one is a Kilsaran base coat with a Baumit acrylic finish

The second is a 20mm s&c in two coats with a Krend acyrlic finish

Has anyone done the above, if so whats the do's and don't's

Our concerns are regarding certification, due to the new building reg's over here you can get sued out the gate very easily.

Any advice would be welcome
@Rigsby

Last edited by a moderator:
If is a site job you will be asked to sign a method statement , which will be provided by the subcontractor and who will be responsible for sticking to the rules . It's theirs responsibility to keep an eye on you, and if you do it by the book, no matter what the method statement says, you will be alright.Have said that, they will turn against you at the moment you cock it up. Follow the method statement and take a lots of pics during the process . Don't know how many lads is the gang, but if you don't have any movement joints , I will suggest you get a machine for the top coat. The most important decision here is if you are up to the job? They won't forgive you if something goes wrong.

S and c with krend topcoat?

Well thats not a system.

Havent used the above. Id stick to a proper system such as the sto,knuaf, jub or even krend. You need the backing of a manufacturer guarentee to cover yourself

Kilsaran do their own acrylic finishes and they are good to use.

I have put acrylic on s&c with no problem but 20mm is a bit thick, take precautions against cracking.

There will be a problem at this time of year with drying and risk of wash off. Because this what you are proposing is not a part of a rendering system and someone else is giving you the spec it is difficult to say who will be responsible if things go wrong. In my opinion it would be the person who gave you the spec but as usual if it went wrong it is easy to blame the applicator as guilty until proved innocent.

If thete is a risk of being sued then walk away.

Well thats not a system.

Havent used the above. Id stick to a proper system such as the sto,knuaf, jub or even krend. You need the backing of a manufacturer guarentee to cover yourself

Will the manufacturer always give a guarantee thou dan?
If they are not aware who you are I cannot see how they could.rigsby's situation with weber is a typical example

Will the manufacturer always give a guarantee thou dan?
If they are not aware who you are I cannot see how they could.rigsby's situation with weber is a typical example

I use jub alot. I get a written spec from them on big jobs. Take pics of the stages with eveidence of material.packaging in the photos that way everyone is backed. Use genuine materials for the system doit properly and your covered

I use jub alot. I get a written spec from them on big jobs. Take pics of the stages with eveidence of material.packaging in the photos that way everyone is backed. Use genuine materials for the system doit properly and your covered

amen to that brother.

id never use sand cement prior to acrylic use the designated base render/adhesive. and why is the spec at 20mm whose speced that? its daft its not doing anything at that thickness just costing more money in materials and to apply no more benefit than 10mm. and 20mm this time of year to cure is going to take yonks in anycase.

Well thats not a system.

I have done tons ove houses n jobs where I've applied a bucket coat to s&c with no come backs or problems. May not be a system but it does work. Out of curiosity other than u don't get the guarantee is there any reason y this must not be done?

I have done tons ove houses n jobs where I've applied a bucket coat to s&c with no come backs or problems. May not be a system but it does work. Out of curiosity other than u don't get the guarantee is there any reason y this must not be done?
Why would you mate.
If the sand cement cracks so will the topcoat. You need the reinforcement. Seems a waste of money.
saying that it would suit garden walls if people wanted spruce up their existing render.
but 1200m **** that

Why would you mate.
If the sand cement cracks so will the topcoat. You need the reinforcement. Seems a waste of money.
saying that it would suit garden walls if people wanted spruce up their existing render.
but 1200m **** that
cost ? Maybe only done it as that's what the client wanted. Is s&c cheaper than base? We put a full mesh in the s&c when we done it

cost ? Maybe only done it as that's what the client wanted. Is s&c cheaper than base? We put a full mesh in the s&c when we done it

When you put labour and meterage against sand cement its not far off i dont think.
ive never trusted alkaline mesh in sand cement. Its so heavy. It might just be me.
like you said if customer wants then fine. But an architect or cunstruction manager on 1200m should stick to a system

Status
Not open for further replies.