A nightmare day....cus of schoolboy error!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you glue the walls a day before skimming, that has a reverse affect, the glue is dry

Are you being serious? The reverse effect? Please explain? Why would I want to go on site, wait 1hr or so even longer depending on conditions for the glue to go tacky?? I've seen me unibond walls in the morning and they've still been 'wet' in the afternoon! Never had any problems in 12 years with this, so if you don't mind can you tell me how this is wrong as this is what I am assuming your getting at?????

unibond day before and skim away, no problemo.. although it does say plaster when tacky on the tin..

Are you being serious? The reverse effect? Please explain? Why would I want to go on site, wait 1hr or so even longer depending on conditions for the glue to go tacky?? I've seen me unibond walls in the morning and they've still been 'wet' in the afternoon! Never had any problems in 12 years with this, so if you don't mind can you tell me how this is wrong as this is what I am assuming your getting at?????

The glue is dry mate, how can that possibly be bonding plaster to a wall? All your doing is creating a shiny finish to the existing wall before skimming.

What about the theory of dry pva becoming sticky again when wet plaster is applied????

Livens up again, so to speak:RpS_unsure:

I always skimmed when tacky until i came on here, but took advice, and works fine when dry, why anyone would want to spend a load on Bond it etc baffles me, PVA.. cheap as chips,

always skimmed when tacky aswell as i was always told letting it dry just seals the wall. might have to give it a try when dry, if it fails can i invoice the plasterers forum for me having to go back and sort it? :RpS_sneaky:

Tbh really shouldnt use pva anyway....bg will tell you thistle bond it and gyp prime only for use with their plasters....:rolleyes)

so we are all wrong:RpS_thumbsup:

Nah nuthin wrong with your practice! Cant spend all day pva-ing haha, id love to see how much work ppl actually get done if all they do is follow whats on the tin, not saying they're wrong or we're right but sitting and waiting for two coats of pva to go off unless on bonding/hardwall, i'd b told to feck off and never cum back

bad day today. just about pulled it around. sometimes happens. and right in the middle some fcuking jehovah fcuking witnesses at the door. couldn't get rid of the fukcers

Tbh really shouldnt use pva anyway....bg will tell you thistle bond it and gyp prime only for use with their plasters....:rolleyes)

so we are all wrong:RpS_thumbsup:

Of course theyre gonna say that, gd business aint it, dont mean its correct

bad day today. just about pulled it around. sometimes happens. and right in the middle some fcuking jehovah fcuking witnesses at the door. couldn't get rid of the fukcers

Normally, feck off does the trick :)

Did they convert you then jurek???:RpS_sneaky:

Nah nuthin wrong with your practice! Cant spend all day pva-ing haha, id love to see how much work ppl actually get done if all they do is follow whats on the tin, not saying they're wrong or we're right but sitting and waiting for two coats of pva to go off unless on bonding/hardwall, i'd b told to feck off and never cum back

You dont use pva with bonding.hardwall. finish same day or first thing in morning using h20

Beddy is my nominated supplier of micro. I usually get 3 or 4 at a time off him but it goes miles and miles. I dilute mine down with water but its still ready to skim on after less than an hour. If the surface looks thirsty I just stick some pva in it as well so its sealing the surface. Haven't used just pva in years as I had the slipping effect a couple of times when it wouldn't go tacky so switched to wba but now use micro as its the dogs bollox. Only use pva by itself when I have to feather out into existing as the grit in micro doesn't allow you to get down to nothing flawlessly

Did they convert you then jurek???:RpS_sneaky:

no mate, i'm agnostic. i adhere loosely to the buddhist noble eightfold path. sometimes. can't stand monotheistic religion. jehovahs are a disease without a cure. it's like a pyramid scheme. you have to covert ten people and then you dont have to go round the houses. then those ten people each have to convert another ten people ad infinitum. sometimes i speak to them because some of the women are quite fit and i envisage myself seducing them and getting them to give up the slavery

The glue is dry mate, how can that possibly be bonding plaster to a wall? All your doing is creating a shiny finish to the existing wall before skimming.

yes the the glue is dry and it's much easier to use it his way, the only time I've ever had problems with av is when skimming the same day as @cassie says the pva will 'liven' up and it starts blebbing, the main use of pva is for controlling the suction of the existing background by sealing it, never had any skimming 'drop' of this way !

Last edited by a moderator:
A tub would probably do a 3 bed house

Sorry for jumping on here. One tub would do all that. Is it as good stuff ?
I've sent them an email to find where is local to me. I would rather pay more for good stuff and add a bit on the price than use pva. Pva is ok but you can come across so many different back grounds when doing a job and I would rather use something that can cover them all with out worry if you know what I mean. I have been using the febond blue grit on some things but tbh the thickness you have to put on to cover it is to much for me .

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

no mate, i'm agnostic. i adhere loosely to the buddhist noble eightfold path. sometimes. can't stand monotheistic religion. jehovahs are a disease without a cure. it's like a pyramid scheme. you have to covert ten people and then you dont have to go round the houses. then those ten people each have to convert another ten people ad infinitum. sometimes i speak to them because some of the women are quite fit and i envisage myself seducing them and getting them to give up the slavery

lol Where did you get that from about having to convert 10 people so you don't have to do the rounds?

a old friend of mine - no longer - got converted and got married to one :RpS_crying: he had to start knocking on doors and giving people the watchtower ffs. it wasn't official doctrine but it was an unwritten rule that you had to convert as many as possible. when you reached ten the ones you converted would then take your place. it has a low retention rate so they need to be constantly converting. kids grow up and realise what a load of shite it all is and leave etc. all religion is hate. especially the catholic church. they sicken me :RpS_angry:

a old friend of mine - no longer - got converted and got married to one :RpS_crying: he had to start knocking on doors and giving people the watchtower ffs. it wasn't official doctrine but it was an unwritten rule that you had to convert as many as possible. when you reached ten the ones you converted would then take your place. it has a low retention rate so they need to be constantly converting. kids grow up and realise what a load of shite it all is and leave etc. all religion is hate. especially the catholic church. they sicken me :RpS_angry:

Well I have never heard of converting ten, my old lady has converted 100's and is still out there banging the doors, I was one of them bored kids being dragged around that you mention. Deep joy.

It was hard to break away as I didn't want to my mum to much as it's something she really believes in, but yea, at about age 14 managed to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.