600 centres

Members online

BigK

Private Member
Topic on here a while back, I think it was @bobby who was looking at some house where trusses were at 600's and builder said half inch boards would be OK.
He was advised against this bt forum members including myself who had been through the s**t of sagging boards on ceilings etc.
Anyhow on said topic a couple of posters said @BritishGypsum spec was that 15mm boards would be OK.
I talked builder into using 15 mm on next property I did for him, and guess what they sagged like fook!!!
They were ok where I was up the boarders arris but a few ceilings that were left a while were an absolute joke.
Ceiling with 9 boards on it taking nearly 4 bags of finish.
BG can shove their specs up their f'kin Arse.

Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't people just do it at 400 centres like has been done for years.

It makes the spread look bad when it looks like a skateboard park

Because it costs money for roof trusses or counter battening [emoji35]

I did work for a soundproofing firm who used 600 centres it drove me crazy and they halved the boards to put them up, plus they were tapered edge, hence why I no longer do it for them

Topic on here a while back, I think it was @bobby who was looking at some house where trusses were at 600's and builder said half inch boards would be OK.
He was advised against this bt forum members including myself who had been through the s**t of sagging boards on ceilings etc.
Anyhow on said topic a couple of posters said @BritishGypsum spec was that 15mm boards would be OK.
I talked builder into using 15 mm on next property I did for him, and guess what they sagged like fook!!!
They were ok where I was up the boarders arris but a few ceilings that were left a while were an absolute joke.

Rant over

We did the first 6 on site and it didn't go to bad
23 to go!!!
The ceilings did sag and I backed it up in a email
I'm getting paid so it's here problem!!!

Never had a problem with 600 centres using half inch but seen them years ago sag with 9.5s. I don't see why they should sag unless it's shrinkage on new builds?

Never had a problem with 600 centres using half inch but seen them years ago sag with 9.5s. I don't see why they should sag unless it's shrinkage on new builds?
Screw centres at 230 as well maybe 150mm on perimiture lot of weight though

I'm on a job with 600s and using half inch. 19 houses in and no problem until master bedroom sagged this week and I mean sagged. Probably came off 35% of screws. Now it was insulated about a week after skimming and insulated assures me he never put any weight on it. So what's best guess as to the cause?

It happens a lot when the joists are still damp. The boards are screwed up nice and tight, then the timber shrinks and warps slightly. The screws dig into the sides of the screw holes making them bigger which means the screws are then loose. That allows a slight drop at each screw and that builds up over the board.

Racking ply or noggins will help, but the best solution is to use dry timber or allow damp timber to dry before boarding.

Its the weight of the insulation, since found out they insulated it before I was skimming down the bottom end of the house.

Rant over

Simpleton here used 600mm attic trusses to save on costs when building my house. And even more simpleton, I used 9.5mm plasterboard on ceilings to save on costs again :( Was supposed to skim all ceilings same day put boards up. Put them up and 2 other spreaders got called away so didn't get them all skimmed! Next few days they sagged like fcuk. Instead of pulling them down, I threw bonding in the unsagged parts. f**k**g nightmare it was. One or 2 aren't perfect but I just stuck with them.

One thing though, Most will be getting pulled soon anyway because I'm going to insulate all ceilings with insulated plasterboard but if I where to build again, it'll be 400 wide instead of the 600

Should have just counter battened them hail, a rake of 2x1 and a nailgun, couple of hours work

Couldn't get behind most of them to do it because we're all ready up or do you mean screw them over the boards to pull up then skim once straight?

I meant the last time, before you boarded it.
It will be the thing to do this time to if you can handle losing the inch