30l Bucket Glove

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are talking about gypsum waste i'm gonna hijack this thread @british gypsum do you use re-cycled gypsum and if so who do you get it from ? @Runswithscissors do knauf use re-cycled gypsum and same question again. Any and all help much appreciated.

Hi Raggles / All

Good question mate

I am not an expert on this topic, and will try to get a formal quote from our Sustainability team to post for you....

I believe that almost all of the Gypsum that Knauf uses is deemed to be "Recycled" rather than raw mined Gypsum - Knauf UK do not have a mine and instead use the synthetic gypsum waste by product from coal fired power stations.

We then have a fairly high % of recycled gypsum board waste re-used in our factories, this is the waste that is taken from the various sites by professional registered companies - they then part process the waste (remove the paper face and separate them up) and then send it back to the 3 UK based manufacturers to re use.

Like I said - not my area of expertise and I will get some more info......

Recycling and sustainability also takes into account other areas in the process - such as water and energy consumption in manufacture and transportation miles (CO2 use)... Knauf have published data and info in these areas on their website, have a read:

Environmental Performance - Knauf

ISSUU - Knauf Sustainability by Knauf

Hi All
All of the gypsum used in ourplasterboards is from a recycled source, which may be either flue gasdesulphurised gypsum which is produced as a by-product from coal firedpowerstations, our own manufacturing waste which we re-use directly into ourmanufacturing process, or from post-consumer sources such as construction anddemolition sites. We also use paper backing which is also 100% recycled.
So in answer to your questionsthe recycled content of our plasterboards is 89% (the remainder being made upof various additives used during manufacture).

Further sustainabilityinformation specific to individual board types can be found on our website.

Hi All
All of the gypsum used in ourplasterboards is from a recycled source, which may be either flue gasdesulphurised gypsum which is produced as a by-product from coal firedpowerstations, our own manufacturing waste which we re-use directly into ourmanufacturing process, or from post-consumer sources such as construction anddemolition sites. We also use paper backing which is also 100% recycled.
So in answer to your questionsthe recycled content of our plasterboards is 89% (the remainder being made upof various additives used during manufacture).

Further sustainabilityinformation specific to individual board types can be found on our website.

That was very informative, Many thanks Knauf . 1 question i would like to ask, Is your space bar broken or have you been using twitter far too much of late #spacesbetweenwordsisthewayforward :RpS_biggrin:

what I don't understand is why don't bg/knauf/lafarge have somewhere you can take board waste for free so they can re use it. ridiculous the amount that gets skipped or binned

what I don't understand is why don't bg/knauf/lafarge have somewhere you can take board waste for free so they can re use it. ridiculous the amount that gets skipped or binned

who ever takes the skip away by law has to process the waste and separate gypsum products, these then are either sent to same land fill as asbestos or sold on to processors who do as said in the Knauf reply above then sell the gypsum to Knauf or BG. One of my mates has a skip hire business and he has 4 skips of it sat in his yard at the min cos he is waiting for the right paper work from the environment agency so he can sell it to the processors rather than pay to send it to land fill.

Good point Beddy.....

Would it not make more sence for the merchants and distributors to have a deal with one of the recycling companies and have a recycling skip at each branch for you guys to return waste.... you buy it from there, take it back to be recycled when you go back to get more......

It does cost the recyling companies a fair amount to collect, remove the paper and then process, as well as then redeliver back to the manufacturers..... It makes sence on the HUGE sites, but for the smaller users, it needs some thought...

See what your stockist says about recycling Gypsum.....

itd probably make more sense to have a central point aka the local tip where you can drop off board waste rather than a dozen skips at different merchants around the city

yeah so does mine. i just take it it the wifes car every few weeks. but i am taking the waste back to mine when i cant dump it on the customers and i should have that licence @Fibrehand7 has been reported for not having. looked at it last night and its 157 or something for three years. unbelievable. seen vans being stopped as well on the four bridges in birkenhead. hmrc, dss, etc all the agencies. never been stopped myself though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.