2nd coat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

roughspread

Hi all.

I am fairly new to the game but have managed to get my skimming to a decent standard but i am after a bit of advice.

How long do you leave the first coat before starting the second?

How long should it take to skim celing and all walls say 4 x 3 Metre room (cos i aint quick enough on me own) :RpS_blushing:

I normally do ceilings first (for some strange reason i find this easier than walls :confused:) then first coat 2 walls then second coat back at the beggining then do the other two. Is this the correct sequence?

I find around switches/sockets a mare - any tips?

Sorry about all the questions but just finished my house and am completely knackered so want to know why its takes me so long.zzzz

Hello mate... Firstly i would probably change yr name unless you dont want to pick up any work! In answer to yr first question on how long do you leave between first and second coat its really depends on background surface ...ie skimming over new plasterboard generally gives you more time than skimmimg over old walls. It also depends on how pourous the surfaces are and how much pva you have applied the surface etc. Regarding the ceiling.... you should always plaster ceiling before doing walls as the law of gravity says you will inevitabily drop some/splash some gear..water down the walls , unless you are plastic sheeting area? And how long should it take? Its all down to experience and speed. Finally those pesky sockets... loosen them off, you can cover with sml freezer bags or just get on with it... purchase some pipe trowels and a small tool... also cake slices are handy! Good luck with future work/projects dude :RpS_mellow:

average room should take about 1 day for skiming walls and ceiling inc pva and beads

Last edited:
Don't worry about speed, just make sure you leaving a good finish. Speed will come with time.

Cheers for the replies fellas.

'average room should take about 1 day for skiming walls and ceiling inc pva and beads'

Does that include two coats on everything and a labourer?

Roughspread, plastering is all about preperation , make sure all the prep is done before you start skimming, so once you start you only have to think about one thing.Do the ceiling first then the walls.Don't worry to much about how much you can get on in a set just make sure what you do is to a good standard and its all done with two coats.You should be able to manage without a lab when skimming again make sure you are organised with water and finish etc then just washout after you have mixed and then got the stuff on the walls. Remember to work smart not hard.

Speed

Hello mate... Firstly i would probably change yr name unless you dont want to pick up any work! In answer to yr first question on how long do you leave between first and second coat its really depends on background surface ...ie skimming over new plasterboard generally gives you more time than skimmimg over old walls. It also depends on how pourous the surfaces are and how much pva you have applied the surface etc. Regarding the ceiling.... you should always plaster ceiling before doing walls as the law of gravity says you will inevitabily drop some/splash some gear..water down the walls , unless you are plastic sheeting area? And how long should it take? Its all down to experience and speed. Finally those pesky sockets... loosen them off, you can cover with sml freezer bags or just get on with it... purchase some pipe trowels and a small tool... also cake slices are handy! Good luck with future work/projects dude :RpS_mellow:
Hi guys can i just clear up this speed issue... I meant its all down to how much experience you have to how quickly etc it will take you. Speed comes with experience that all. But you are all spot on in saiyng its all about the prep and doing a good job. Everything else will slot into space... Hopefully:rolleyes)

get your first coat on, wait for it to pick up, then throw the second coat on.

do you know when it's picked up?

Status
Not open for further replies.