24 y.o need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said. Learn everything about the machine and become an expert on it.
Our lab knows the G4 we use inside out and I'm still learning (off him) and when set up and spraying he sprays and I load the machine or other spread rules off etc then when all is on I go back to the tools and lab cleans the machine happy days.

and feeling my age puddove :RpS_crying:,, but i loved every minute of it

yeah they taking all the fun out of it with all the technology - that's why I see a lot of young plasterers over weight :RpS_lol:

think I put mi tin hat on - take cover :RpS_lol:

what your going back to college ? I did my level 1 - 2 at college and got distinctions in every test and as soon as I got working I realised I didn't know **** all ! theres only so much you can learn from a book and also colleges focus on site work so most of the work in college is paperwork to do with health and safety reading drawings etc you don't spend enough time on the tools ? that's what I think anyway maybe you can correct me

Ah OK my mistake. Well mate there is only one way to know if you are going to be able to do stuff on your own. I am at college but I'm also actively working on property at the same time so I'm fairly confident by the time I leave.

Now you have been working for someone else what is inhibiting you do you think? Is there stuff getting done that you don't know how to do and you aren't getting shown. I'm hugely interested because I'll face all these challenges.

Nathan did your governor employ you as a labourer?, or as an apprentice or trainee renderer?. Its just that if he employed you as a labourer, you cant really moan that 12 months later your still a labourer.
Do you want to carry on with just externals?, or learn all the aspects of the trade?,
Cause if you do why not consider enrolling at college to do a part time course, maybe your boss would allow you to go do a couple of days a week at college, with 3 days a week on site getting paid.
All apprentices unfortunately have to go through earning shite money whilst learning a trade, its just most of us went through this shortly after leaving school.

I think a year is too early but I was on the tools before the machine came, cheers

So you have loads of time to learn how to bead ,scratch up ect ,if you know the ins & outs of any machine from set up to cleaning out the filters ,you are doing good , not many lads know the set up and maintenance of a plastering machine ,chill out mate ,if you want to go skimming walls you can learn that in 2 weeks

ive done quite a bit of scratchin and can normally get a really good finish on it normally I get left to scratch it all on my own while they go beading for next one ! cleaning the filter on our machine is pretty simple can change rota stata if someone holds it in place ! my boss gets recommended by k rend but he doesn't scratch it at all he just sprays it I have also done a bit on the edge before the machine came ! was just getting the hang of that thing aswell ! thanks again keith

Ah OK my mistake. Well mate there is only one way to know if you are going to be able to do stuff on your own. I am at college but I'm also actively working on property at the same time so I'm fairly confident by the time I leave.

Now you have been working for someone else what is inhibiting you do you think? Is there stuff getting done that you don't know how to do and you aren't getting shown. I'm hugely interested because I'll face all these challenges.

the biggest problem ive found is anyone having the time to show u I had to literally start picking up the tools and just going for it where as before I worked for someone else who would of cut my fingers off if I did that

the biggest problem ive found is anyone having the time to show u I had to literally start picking up the tools and just going for it where as before I worked for someone else who would of cut my fingers off if I did that

Keep your eyes open on here, it sounds like a move might be in order.

Where would you say the gaps in your knowledge are now, or is it just experience?

Keep your eyes open on here, it sounds like a move might be in order.

Where would you say the gaps in your knowledge are now, or is it just experience?

just experience on the tools I would say the main point is that I was just getting on the tools before the machine came along now all I do is run that and id rather be banging bags in a mixer and bucketing it up as you'll get some interaction with people and a better chance of picking things up that way. its just getting someone to give you the chance but its hard, all part of the journey I suppose ill keep at it because I still love plastering !

good labourers most of the time end up good plasterers , we have all been there, sometimes in life you have to take the next step forward . If your boss thinks your good enough to keep he will find more work and you could always drop back and help out the new boy.. pitty your not in Essex i would give you a chance

just experience on the tools I would say the main point is that I was just getting on the tools before the machine came along now all I do is run that and id rather be banging bags in a mixer and bucketing it up as you'll get some interaction with people and a better chance of picking things up that way. its just getting someone to give you the chance but its hard, all part of the journey I suppose ill keep at it because I still love plastering !

Trust me bud there was no more interaction you would just be mixing constantly, going home at the end of a day fcked but satisfied somehow..

I vote you stick with it lad, as Flynny said learn as much as you possibly can about the machine as that will defo be the future with most applications.

Trust me bud there was no more interaction you would just be mixing constantly, going home at the end of a day fcked but satisfied somehow..

I vote you stick with it lad, as Flynny said learn as much as you possibly can about the machine as that will defo be the future with most applications.

Lol cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.