24 y.o need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan90

Hello I have been working for the last year or so now and have loved it all, however for the last few months I have been chucking bags in the machine an is pretty soul destroying for someone that's hands on you don't even get to see what's happening or talk to anyone, anyway im basically asking for advice on what I should do I have always been done really well at college although that doesn't mean a lot in the real world ! I just want to learn the trade properly and I don't think that is going to happen in the position im in, at first I was like a whippet up on the scaff taping up leaving 15ml gaps, setting the machine up etc but its so much harder to fly out of bed in the morning to think about standing in front of a machine all day im just being deadly honest and any criticism is welcomed as im willing to listen to anyone what do I do leave or stick it out in the hope either the machine blows up or it starts raining a lot !

If you dont feel like its time to branch out on your own then your going to have to stick it out on the shovel (I know your on a machine , thats just an expression) Think ahead, set yourself a plan of action , maintain positivity by thinking ahead to a time where you will be calling the shots and earning well. Best of luck bud, It can be demoralizing stuck on a machine all day, my mate spent 5 years welded to a putmeister working all over the country staying in shitty digs earning shitty money, now he has his own gang and does really well. best of luck

If you dont feel like its time to branch out on your own then your going to have to stick it out on the shovel (I know your on a machine , thats just an expression) Think ahead, set yourself a plan of action , maintain positivity by thinking ahead to a time where you will be calling the shots and earning well. Best of luck bud, It can be demoralizing stuck on a machine all day, my mate spent 5 years welded to a putmeister working all over the country staying in shitty digs earning shitty money, now he has his own gang and does really well. best of luck

Cheers oilcan that was really helpful nice to see theres others out there like me ! yep I suppose ive just got to stick it out !

If u want it bad enough you will find a way- ring some colleges or lads you mite thinkbthat can take you to the next level. Set some goals and take massive action. U will get there

I have and also my boss understands the situation and says that that's all I can do as I am the only lab on the firm he cant pay anyone else to do I which makes sense but where does that leave me I think im stuck ?

Dont be to good at labouring .... A good labourer is hard to find .... And they would try keep you there possibly .... Just a guess

Carry on doing what your doing and look for another job in the mean time. Tell your boss looking for other work as you need to progress in life. He might just let you on the tools just to keep you from straying

I have and also my boss understands the situation and says that that's all I can do as I am the only lab on the firm he cant pay anyone else to do I which makes sense but where does that leave me I think im stuck ?
no point staying then fuc em look else where

Carry on doing what your doing and look for another job in the mean time. Tell your boss looking for other work as you need to progress in life. He might just let you on the tools just to keep you from straying

cheers finn ive been on the tools a little bit but that was before the machine came so ive sort of gone backwards

Find a decent lad to replace you on the machine to get yourself on the tools.

its not my place to say get another labourer though maybe if I suggest that I know someone who'll be good for it to test the water, cheers wezly

If you are machine spraying ,is it mono mate ?

hi keith its a monojet don't know model number or anything sorry, its the hopper on wheels air compressor attatched underneath separate water pump and generator if that helps oh and its orange with the roter and stater it is at the bottom like a twisty thing

Young enough to give them your notice and get back into college and get whatever skills are missing nailed down. Then approach plasterers I guess. That is what I am doing, starting again in about ten days.

hi keith its a monojet don't know model number or anything sorry, its the hopper on wheels air compressor attatched underneath separate water pump and generator if that helps oh and its orange with the roter and stater it is at the bottom like a twisty thing
I meant what are you spraying :rolleyes)

You know nothing about the machine your using so learn everything about it then You have gone as far as you can go as regards your end. It sounds like a factory job at the minute but I wouldn't leave unless they took someone else on to learnt the other end of the machine you ain't learning.

Last edited:
Young enough to give them your notice and get back into college and get whatever skills are missing nailed down. Then approach plasterers I guess. That is what I am doing, starting again in about ten days.

what your going back to college ? I did my level 1 - 2 at college and got distinctions in every test and as soon as I got working I realised I didn't know **** all ! theres only so much you can learn from a book and also colleges focus on site work so most of the work in college is paperwork to do with health and safety reading drawings etc you don't spend enough time on the tools ? that's what I think anyway maybe you can correct me

its not my place to say get another labourer though maybe if I suggest that I know someone who'll be good for it to test the water, cheers wezly
Of course it is! Someone needs to be on the machine so you need replacing. If you want to progress and soon, then make it happen. I bet at your age you've got a few mates bumming about, drag one of them to work with you to bag up in place of you whilst you get on the rule and show your boss man what you can do.

Your boss probably isn't a ****, but the fact is someone needs to do the labouring, and atm you are bottom of the food chain.

You know nothing about the machine your using so learn everything about it then You have gone as far as you can go as regards your end. It sounds like a factory job at the minute but I wouldn't leave unless they took someone else on to learnt he other end of the machine you ain't learning.

ye it sounded terrible when I described it would have to write all the exact names down, but I do know the machine im the only one who knows how to set it up set water levels etc but I will try learn more about it

dont take this wrong mate but your quite lucky,, many of us would have loved a machine when we was where you are now,, many of us spent years with a mixing bath, shovel and garden rake, but we stuck with it and eventually got on the tools,, if you dont have anything better to go to stick with it,, you'll get there in the end

dont take this wrong mate but your quite lucky,, many of us would have loved a machine when we was where you are now,, many of us spent years with a mixing bath, shovel and garden rake, but we stuck with it and eventually got on the tools,, if you dont have anything better to go to stick with it,, you'll get there in the end

I understand your point thanks for your advice mate

leebo you showing your age lol - don't think some of the younger guys realise what we went through as apprentices -

no oli nothing sexual :RpS_scared::RpS_lol: honest :RpS_blushing:

So you have loads of time to learn how to bead ,scratch up ect ,if you know the ins & outs of any machine from set up to cleaning out the filters ,you are doing good , not many lads know the set up and maintenance of a plastering machine ,chill out mate ,if you want to go skimming walls you can learn that in 2 weeks

Hello I have been working for the last year or so now and have loved it all, however for the last few months I have been chucking bags in the machine an is pretty soul destroying for someone that's hands on you don't even get to see what's happening or talk to anyone, anyway im basically asking for advice on what I should do I have always been done really well at college although that doesn't mean a lot in the real world ! I just want to learn the trade properly and I don't think that is going to happen in the position im in, at first I was like a whippet up on the scaff taping up leaving mm 15ml gaps, setting the machine up etc but its so much harder to fly out of bed in the morning to think about standing in front of a machine all day im just being deadly honest and any criticism is welcomed as im willing to listen to anyone what do I do leave or stick it out in the hope either the machine blows up or it starts raining a lot !

Nathan did your governor employ you as a labourer?, or as an apprentice or trainee renderer?. Its just that if he employed you as a labourer, you cant really moan that 12 months later your still a labourer.
Do you want to carry on with just externals?, or learn all the aspects of the trade?,
Cause if you do why not consider enrolling at college to do a part time course, maybe your boss would allow you to go do a couple of days a week at college, with 3 days a week on site getting paid.
All apprentices unfortunately have to go through earning shite money whilst learning a trade, its just most of us went through this shortly after leaving school.

leebo you showing your age lol - don't think some of the younger guys realise what we went through as apprentices -

no oli nothing sexual :RpS_scared::RpS_lol: honest :RpS_blushing:
and feeling my age puddove :RpS_crying:,, but i loved every minute of it

Status
Not open for further replies.