200mm?!

Members online

avt100

Put down a screed for a regular builder today, gave him the amount of materials I wanted last week. He told me it wasn't a fibre screed or as he said 'nothing fancy' if you know the type. he told me insulation at 100mm and at max 100mm screed. concrete base ran out and ended up with a 180mm screed. He managed to get more sand in the afternoon and still not high enough. about 30mm lower than what it should be. Should I of came higher? Sounds a lot to me. Does anyone screed that thickness? Surely that wouldn't last? I'm assuming as the base was incorrect then more insulation is needed.

insulation is always cheaper than screed. You could mix some sbr in with some semi dry and lay 30 over the top

will put down 30mm on top. too close to xmas to take up and re-do. can you get 2 layers on insulation down without movement to screed on?
Thanks for advice

will put down 30mm on top. too close to xmas to take up and re-do. can you get 2 layers on insulation down without movement to screed on?
Thanks for advice

no problem with 75 mm screed over 2 or more layers of insulation.
if i was going to top a screed wth a further 30mm, i would add sbr to the screed, and brush a coat of neat sbr on to the existing screed, spread some screed over the sbr while the sbr is still wet. then you are building up a key for your screed.

Put down a screed for a regular builder today, gave him the amount of materials I wanted last week. He told me it wasn't a fibre screed or as he said 'nothing fancy' if you know the type. he told me insulation at 100mm and at max 100mm screed. concrete base ran out and ended up with a 180mm screed. He managed to get more sand in the afternoon and still not high enough. about 30mm lower than what it should be. Should I of came higher? Sounds a lot to me. Does anyone screed that thickness? Surely that wouldn't last? I'm assuming as the base was incorrect then more insulation is needed.
Welcome mate. I've never screeded that thick ever - 180mm is as thick as a normal slab/oversight. That must have been a nightmare to lay - that's going to take forever to dry. Your opinion about more insulation seems the most sensible solution - but too late now I guess. Did the builder have a ffl marked for you? What's the room going to be used for? Hope it's a wet room, that will be a nice fall 30

Good shout. Iv got sbr in the garage was gna brush it with, but yeah first hour of day to brush screed over sbr sounds better.
sound advice!

it felt like my grave. never been that deep in screed before!
Only for extension but don't like following the guys on this firm. they make sure the buck firmly stops at me. Cant complain too much they put it right without much fuss but messes up the diary a bit.

in holland we often had thick screeds. they had these black rubber pipes about 100mm for the heating system laying on top of the oversite, we lay a weak concrete mix up to the top of the pipes then lay a screed.

Only for extension but don't like following the guys on this firm. they make sure the buck firmly stops at me. Cant complain too much they put it right without much fuss but messes up the diary a bit.
Always the same - shite brickwork = plasterer will fix. Shite carpentry = plasterer will fix. Shite concreting = plasterer will fix

Bollox to working for firms like that