2 coats

Used same mix plenty when is small area or just need get away quicker even if I've had to piss it down a bit. Sure most on here have.

Yeah sometimes.If it's a small little bit.Who wants to be hanging around flattening in two or three boards and then second coating with a fresh mix.

Used same mix plenty when is small area or just need get away quicker even if I've had to piss it down a bit. Sure most on here have.
2 coats

Sometimes if we've over mixed by a bag or so we will throw some water in then abit more powder..its better than throwing a bag of waste away..do it from time to time prefer laying on with fresh like but as some1 said its no different..this is on plasterboard mind

Yes unless on artex or backgrounds that need dubbing out with first coat or silk paint...

Its not as good a finish as a fresh 2nd coat once shrunk back but good enough to get paid

Yes unless on artex or backgrounds that need dubbing out with first coat or silk paint...

Its not as good a finish as a fresh 2nd coat once shrunk back but good enough to get paid

The wall doesn't know if it's a fresh batch or not.

The same amount of material is going on I could do a wall with fresh laying in gear and one with the same mix and there would be no difference at all mate.

T
The wall doesn't know if it's a fresh batch or not.

The same amount of material is going on I could do a wall with fresh laying in gear and one with the same mix and there would be no difference at all mate.

Totally disagree...

Silk paint - requires first coat to pull in almost dry before applying second coat so plaster doesn't move when troweling up.

Artex - if deep requires/benefits from having some bonding in 1st coat or alternatively thicker first which again requires a fresh 2nd coat so that the back ground doesn't grin through when water evaporates and plaster shrinks after drying.

For what its worth I 1 coat board work so im no martyr I only do as much as I have to....

We started 1 coating on site with the big 75ltr buckets 1 each and the quality dropped, striping and water marks.

I got the spot board back out and went back to basics

First coat
Flattern
Second coat
And so on

My work immediately improved.

I will lay down with same gear on small walls but will always flattern first.

on a small hit, we first coat very tight and neat, so it starts to pull in . keeping some of the first mix back to add to the second mix to finish quicker.

We started 1 coating on site with the big 75ltr buckets 1 each and the quality dropped, striping and water marks.

I got the spot board back out and went back to basics

First coat
Flattern
Second coat
And so on

My work immediately improved.

I will lay down with same gear on small walls but will always flattern first.
On the one coat did you use a sponge

On the one coat did you use a sponge

no mate, we got lazy and were chasing a very poor rate.

not scared to admit the work was shocking and we got pulled a lot.

we'd bang an area on and turn back and lay in straight away, it didn't work for us, knocking gear back up sets it off flashing so that was no good.

work improved 10 fold after i went back to basics, but the other guy i worked with persisted in 1 coating and eventually we parted.

no mate, we got lazy and were chasing a very poor rate.

not scared to admit the work was shocking and we got pulled a lot.

we'd bang an area on and turn back and lay in straight away, it didn't work for us, knocking gear back up sets it off flashing so that was no good.

work improved 10 fold after i went back to basics, but the other guy i worked with persisted in 1 coating and eventually we parted.

Nice bit of honesty there bud a rare thing sadly with Plasterers!

Biggest bullshiters and disalusioned people in building game I find these days!

Shrinks back the same, top coats stiffer than the first, background could have no suction, beads could be thick, boarding could be s**t, door linings could be heavy, tapered joints could show, but apart from that who f**k**g cares tbh