135mm Cornice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linton1990

Evening,

Ive put up loads of gyproc 100mm and 127mm coving. And done the odd jobs with the 135mm cornice (84mm x 92mm). Was fitting it today and packing out my mitre block total the ceiling edge at 92mm to get my mitres 'close enough'. I was just wondering if anyone has any other ways they cut the 135mm cornice, as it always is a bit of a bugger to get.

Scribe the joints like you do skirting boards.

Never done cove like that @TonyM don't know why tbh didn't even occur to me.

So for people who don't know fly one side of the coving straight through without mitre, then the other side cut the mitre on a 45 and with a coping saw follow the line that the mitre has left cutting straight down?? That's how I scribe a skirt any other ways?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut it roughly and get the joint rule out for the mitres, leave the awkward cuts for joiners. We're plasterers that's how cornices are done

My gyproc mitre block says on the side it's not suitable for 135mm but I've used it and it's bang on to be honest.

Cut it roughly and get the joint rule out for the mitres, leave the awkward cuts for joiners. We're plasterers that's how cornices are done

Why, when you can cut it accurately the first time and have hardly anything to fill? Time is money.

I'm a plumber and only do very occasional coving say in a bathroom I am refurbing I have a chippy mate who made me 2 miter boxes for 100 and 127 so that when it fits in it fits tightly and in the way it would go to the ceiling if that makes sense? Then it's just a nice steady cut with the hand saw and occasionally a surform to tease them in if needed That said I am not a plaster but they look the part once done

Status
Not open for further replies.