10 years at it!

Members online

roryston

Well a song popped up the other day on te radio, nickleback-rockstar. And it was number 1 around this time 10 years ago!

10 years ago I was living with my mum spent all my time on my BMX, or in the garage ripping apart motocross bikes and re building them, tuning up my moped hanging about with the boys, blaring out drum and bass, I was knocking off girls and shagging my now misses off and on. MINT!

Absolutely hate that song but it was number one when I started working for my almost original boss. Before that I spent about 5/6 months labouring for my neighbour doing damp work, catching and fetching buckets mixing up etc.

Was with my old boss for almost 6 years and he told me everything I know, we all say it but genuinely he was the best spread I ever knew, skimming, rendering, lime work etc was the best. We done a lot of general building too, knock throughs, extensions renovations etc.

Enjoyed the work and always did but the money wasn't there couldn't win the "I need more money argument" so unfortunately had to move on and work for his mate who kept me afloat with plenty of work and a little more money, also he allowed me on the trowel properly allowing me to have a proper go at it. Done 3/4 years with him non stop and during that time managed to get friendly with a few other people and got some of my own work.

I left him in september as I was getting loads of work thrown at me and felt bad taking his time to do my own stuff so properly went self employed in January and now im running myself, still worry about work but obviously that comes with it gotta get out there I suppose!

As I stand now I'm sat in my 3 bedroom house, 2 dogs, my misses, a 5 year old, a 6 week old, van on the drive and a couple of cheap Suzuki 4x4s that I play with when I can. Obviously nothing special of course and by no means am I blagging ! Its just mad how things change!

Where were you lot 10 years ago??

Well a song popped up the other day on te radio, nickleback-rockstar. And it was number 1 around this time 10 years ago!

10 years ago I was living with my mum spent all my time on my BMX, or in the garage ripping apart motocross bikes and re building them, tuning up my moped hanging about with the boys, blaring out drum and bass, I was knocking off girls and shagging my now misses off and on. MINT!

Absolutely hate that song but it was number one when I started working for my almost original boss. Before that I spent about 5/6 months labouring for my neighbour doing damp work, catching and fetching buckets mixing up etc.

Was with my old boss for almost 6 years and he told me everything I know, we all say it but genuinely he was the best spread I ever knew, skimming, rendering, lime work etc was the best. We done a lot of general building too, knock throughs, extensions renovations etc.

Enjoyed the work and always did but the money wasn't there couldn't win the "I need more money argument" so unfortunately had to move on and work for his mate who kept me afloat with plenty of work and a little more money, also he allowed me on the trowel properly allowing me to have a proper go at it. Done 3/4 years with him non stop and during that time managed to get friendly with a few other people and got some of my own work.

I left him in september as I was getting loads of work thrown at me and felt bad taking his time to do my own stuff so properly went self employed in January and now im running myself, still worry about work but obviously that comes with it gotta get out there I suppose!

As I stand now I'm sat in my 3 bedroom house, 2 dogs, my misses, a 5 year old, a 6 week old, van on the drive and a couple of cheap Suzuki 4x4s that I play with when I can. Obviously nothing special of course and by no means am I blagging ! Its just mad how things change!

I had a Monday to Friday job on the books doing insurance claims, not great money but a van and holidays etc. Lived for the weekend then, giving it the big one getting boozey on Torquay harbour :birras:. Married with two kids now.

10 years ago I was flat out plastering earning more money than my school teacher that told me never to get into building work because there's no money in it. I was young and very naive thinking it would last forever. I was very nearly finished building my house, was looking at buying a Villa in Portugal and taking 2 holidays a year. Life was amazing!
A year later is when all the fun started! The worlds banks where in free fall. Building work stopped here overnight. Ghost estates everywhere. Frightening times. My first time ever experiencing anything like it!

10 years ago I was flat out plastering earning more money than my school teacher that told me never to get into building work because there's no money in it. I was young and very naive thinking it would last forever. I was very nearly finished building my house, was looking at buying a Villa in Portugal and taking 2 holidays a year. Life was amazing!
A year later is when all the fun started! The worlds banks where in free fall. Building work stopped here overnight. Ghost estates everywhere. Frightening times. My first time ever experiencing anything like it!

Good old recession ay! It didn't hit Bristol too bad we managed through it

IMG_6048.JPG

I can't say what I did 10 years ago as the misses is sitting next to me and il end up with my dick chopped off.

Was packing my bags to come over to England from Ireland at the very beginning of the crash, well almost 10 years, on the 6th April to be specific

10 years ago my boss died and I had to figure the rest out for myself. Was with a girl that sucked me dry and not in the good way. Moved on since then, 1 4yr old and 1 due this weekend. Maybe a bit late in life to buy a home but can't dwell on that. It's amazing how fast 10years go.

10 years ago my boss died and I had to figure the rest out for myself. Was with a girl that sucked me dry and not in the good way. Moved on since then, 1 4yr old and 1 due this weekend. Maybe a bit late in life to buy a home but can't dwell on that. It's amazing how fast 10years go.
Never to late mate.

Nice idea for a thread, and it's surprising what you realise when you do the 'ten year look back'.

I was 39, had just split up with the Mrs after ten years. Working on the cards as a project manager, left the house with nothing asset wise, she kept the lot. I had Alf the black labrador, a ginger cat, a 650 Katana and a 12 year old Volvo estate.

Now I'm married, have my own business, three houses, the van which I bought new two and half years ago, a unit, and all the tools I need. I didn't steal it, win it or sh1t on anyone to get any of it. Almost as importantly I didn't do anything that anyone else couldn't do.

s**t happens, you get over it and sort your life out better the next time round. It's amazing how your 'luck' improves in direct proportion to the effort you put in. (y)

It's just as amazing how much and how quickly things can change. Young kids will make it harder to get what you want, but not impossible. (y)

10 years ago the forum was a year old :D I had no idea what dengue fever was and I was at my fittest I had ever been :D

I had already been with jane for 5/6 years :D lol where does the time go???

It's just as amazing how much and how quickly things can change. Young kids will make it harder to get what you want, but not impossible. (y)

Kids definitely make it harder but it does give you a drive to want the best for them, unfortunately you need to hit a happy medium of family and work time that especially with this game is hard.

3 years ago.my misses told me to leave as I was never around, 7 days a week 14/15 hour days some days. You never get that time back. Took a lot for.me to realise that. Obviously I had my own problems then with the loss of my father and working all hours was how I chose to get through it.

Going self employed has took a lot of strain off knowing some days I can earn what I would of earnt in 3/4 days sometimes.

I still say yes to any work that comes my way of course but for once its getting done In my time not theres.