1.5mm silicone render, cracking all over

Members online

No members online now.

rb7

Hello lads,

Done some 1.5mm silicone render, 1st time, small area. Went on fine, floated with plastic float, come back next day and really tiny cracks around the grain across the whole area.

I picked up the supplies off a polish builders merchant. Couldn't read the instructions, so mixed up the bucket with paddle mixer and off I went. Looks like I'ved buggered up somewhere!

Any help appreciated. I'm reading some guys put water in the bucket? Prime the area again? I've primed it once already, is two coats recommended in this weather?

What can I do to sort out the cracking/crazing in the current patch I've done?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_145813985.jpg
    IMG_20190628_145813985.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 888
Atlas is more than likely gear.

When did you put it on? What sort of temperatures.

Always advisable to put around 500ml of water per tub in any top coat to thin it out and give you a little more time with it.

Hello lads,

Done some 1.5mm silicone render, 1st time, small area. Went on fine, floated with plastic float, come back next day and really tiny cracks around the grain across the whole area.

I picked up the supplies off a polish builders merchant. Couldn't read the instructions, so mixed up the bucket with paddle mixer and off I went. Looks like I'ved buggered up somewhere!

Any help appreciated. I'm reading some guys put water in the bucket? Prime the area again? I've primed it once already, is two coats recommended in this weather?

What can I do to sort out the cracking/crazing in the current patch I've done?

Cheers
Seen this a few times it’s on to thick

It also doesn’t look too bad. Has the customer pulled it?

No, not yet. Would the hairline cracks allow water to go through, how big an issue is it?

That picture probably doesn't show it too well..its noticeable close up..from far it looks fine. But am concerned about long term issues...would another coat on top be the best solution?

Atlas is more than likely gear.

When did you put it on? What sort of temperatures.

Always advisable to put around 500ml of water per tub in any top coat to thin it out and give you a little more time with it.

I'll try the 500ml of water in the next bit I put on. This was done on Thursday mid morning, was pretty hot..maxed out at 25 degrees C that day..probably about 20 when we was laying on and floating up...no cloud cover.

Suction issue? Will try adding water, I thought these buckets were ready to go..serves me right buying Polish gear with go English instructions!

What about another coat of the primer? Is it like multi finish where the top coat needs to go on whilst the primer is still not fully dry?

I'll try the 500ml of water in the next bit I put on. This was done on Thursday mid morning, was pretty hot..maxed out at 25 degrees C that day..probably about 20 when we was laying on and floating up...no cloud cover.

Suction issue? Will try adding water, I thought these buckets were ready to go..serves me right buying Polish gear with go English instructions!

What about another coat of the primer? Is it like multi finish where the top coat needs to go on whilst the primer is still not fully dry?

Yeah, possibly a bit too warm.

Could have pulled in a bit quick or skinned on the surface too quickly. If the customers not pulled it and happy I’d take it on the chin and learn from it.

Primer needs about 2 hours minimum on a decent warm day to dry properly, below 10/12 degrees mid day id more than likely leave it overnight.

In future, just buy a 500ml bottle of water and refill it for every bucket of top coat you knock up, you know then you will be there or there abouts a on consistency.

If it was Atlas Render it is good gear so not anything to do with being Polish, I would happily put it on my own house. They do some nice mosaic renders as well but not looked into them to much.

Suction?!? Temperature!?!?
Hmmm..... let me see in all over europe they do it at 40+ and haven't heard a single complaint.

• Agree
Reactions: s61
Yeah, possibly a bit too warm.

Could have pulled in a bit quick or skinned on the surface too quickly. If the customers not pulled it and happy I’d take it on the chin and learn from it.

Primer needs about 2 hours minimum on a decent warm day to dry properly, below 10/12 degrees mid day id more than likely leave it overnight.

In future, just buy a 500ml bottle of water and refill it for every bucket of top coat you knock up, you know then you will be there or there abouts a on consistency.

If it was Atlas Render it is good gear so not anything to do with being Polish, I would happily put it on my own house. They do some nice mosaic renders as well but not looked into them to much.

Thanks mate. Ill give it a shot with the water on a small area and see how it goes. Just to confirm its not anything to do with shoddy material.

The brand is Astex...not Atlas..the guys at the place said they sell shed loads of this stuff, and they had serious stock on the stuff in the warehouse from where I picked it up.

It doesn't matter what you'll put inside, your finish is appalling. I can only imagine how it looks when you face it. From the swirls I can see on the picture, I can tell is lazy finish . Put some more effort next time , you may not see any cracks.

It doesn't matter what you'll put inside, your finish is appalling. I can only imagine how it looks when you face it. From the swirls I can see on the picture, I can tell is lazy finish . Put some more effort next time , you may not see any cracks.

Are you going to ask him if he’s ginger?

Me? Coming from the guy who is obsessed with a ginger man.

What you know about Rendering could be written on the back postage stamp.

Tha knows nowt
That.......might be true, but since you first post on here and giving it billy big balls about knowledge and grafting , I have to tell you every single one has been total embarrassment for the trade, just like the advice you are giving the op on here , but I see you have no clue whatsoever what happened either. You hardly add any water to silicon top coat when you spray it, ever asked yourself why? Or you probably never done it. If the size of the aggregate is 1.5mm you should put it on @1.5 mm not 3mm as on the picture here, that's the problem here, not heat, suction or watering down the mix, Mr Blank .
And that's coming from a man with post stamp knowledge, which shows, no matter how small is , still better than a blank piece of paper waiting on your desk to
fulfill its destiny.

From the image it looks to be on quite thick, this could be the cause. Are you able to get some other images

Did you basecoat the property yourself? How long did you leave it between priming and top coat?

Regarding the water mentioned in comments above. 25kg tub, max 250ml of water to be added - not always required.

That.......might be true, but since you first post on here and giving it billy big balls about knowledge and grafting , I have to tell you every single one has been total embarrassment for the trade, just like the advice you are giving the op on here , but I see you have no clue whatsoever what happened either. You hardly add any water to silicon top coat when you spray it, ever asked yourself why? Or you probably never done it. If the size of the aggregate is 1.5mm you should put it on @1.5 mm not 3mm as on the picture here, that's the problem here, not heat, suction or watering down the mix, Mr Blank .
And that's coming from a man with post stamp knowledge, which shows, no matter how small is , still better than a blank piece of paper waiting on your desk to
fulfill its destiny.

Where has the guy said he sprayed it on?

You do add water whether spraying or hand applying 1mm, 1.5 or 3mm any grain size as it clogs the hopper gun, but that’s irrelevant.

My second sentence was to “Thin it out”

You say it’s in too thick.

That’s basically the same thing. Are you special in the head boy

We’ve done this twice before, usually on a Friday night believe it or not, when you’ve had a beer and feel brave, both times making yourself look a fool and had your arse handed to you, I didn’t do that, you did, I just nudged it along for shits and giggles.

And I embarrass myself ???

And for fucks sake learn what a paragraph is you re***d.

As said its probably Atlas which is one the worst silicones on the market. Its thick to start with and unless its winter then at least 500ml of water per tub to make it useable.

You have not mentioned using a primer? If this has been put on neat in heat and there has been some suction it will shrink crack. Bit like putting on gloss paint in the sun.

If you get caught then go over it again but water it down a bit. That Atlas stuff is too gritty, pay more for decent gear like Jub.

As said its probably Atlas which is one the worst silicones on the market. Its thick to start with and unless its winter then at least 500ml of water per tub to make it useable.

You have not mentioned using a primer? If this has been put on neat in heat and there has been some suction it will shrink crack. Bit like putting on gloss paint in the sun.

If you get caught then go over it again but water it down a bit. That Atlas stuff is too gritty, pay more for decent gear like Jub.

The brand is Astex...not sure if similar to Atlas? Anyways, yes I did put the primer on that was sold with the system.

I've got 2 more buckets left of the stuff, so will try water is down and if still the same will try another brand.

I just think it's on to thick and not rubbed up enough.

Same principal when you try and apply paint to thick that also crazes.

Hi mate, defo was applied thin, the size of grain. Any thinner and I would be scraping it back off. In regards to rubbing up, you may be onto something there. First time using the product, and I simply rubbed up until it looks decent and grain looked like it had uniform coverage. Maybe I need to work on rubbing up a bit more.

The pic I posted if not the main wall but a 4" inside window reveal.

Any tips on the rubbing up side of things?

From the image it looks to be on quite thick, this could be the cause. Are you able to get some other images

Did you basecoat the property yourself? How long did you leave it between priming and top coat?

Regarding the water mentioned in comments above. 25kg tub, max 250ml of water to be added - not always required.

I get some other pics next week now. Yes we base coated with the mesh. Primed it on Thursday morning, 3 hours later started the first wall for the topcoat.

The brand is Astex...not sure if similar to Atlas? Anyways, yes I did put the primer on that was sold with the system.

I've got 2 more buckets left of the stuff, so will try water is down and if still the same will try another brand.

Did you make sure the primer had fully dried?

Never heard of Astex.

fulfill its destiny.

Any thinner and I would be scrapping it off. This was my first attempt with the product.
Did you make sure the primer had fully dried?

Never heard of Astex.

Yeh defo fully dry. Was a warm day, sun was hitting it directly. The pic I've posted is a small patch area done on friday (so 2 days primer being dry at that point) which I did to see if the cracking had been caused by direct sunlight hitting it? So did this window reveal which was in the shade.

Same issue. And this coat I made sure was proper scrapped back. From the comments, I'm starting to think combination of not watering down and bad technique when it came to the rubbing up.

Does it need to be really well rubbed in? Decent pressure or light? Any help on that appreciated.

Where has the guy said he sprayed it on?

You do add water whether spraying or hand applying 1mm, 1.5 or 3mm any grain size as it clogs the hopper gun, but that’s irrelevant.

My second sentence was to “Thin it out”

You say it’s in too thick.

That’s basically the same thing. Are you special in the head boy

We’ve done this twice before, usually on a Friday night believe it or not, when you’ve had a beer and feel brave, both times making yourself look a fool and had your arse handed to you, I didn’t do that, you did, I just nudged it along for shits and giggles.

And I embarrass myself ???

And for fucks sake learn what a paragraph is you re***d.
Where did I say he sprayed it on? Spray was for comparison purpose to underline the fact you can do it without adding water.
Thin it out with 500ml ???? That will need brush, not a trowel!!!!
Same think? I doubt it!
My had is clear enough to see and spot the fucktard in you and tbh didn't give a toss until you started telling customers how much to expect to be charged and at the same time you didn't say how much do you charge!
Not sure you can be of any help even for the diy'ers tbh.

Any thinner and I would be scrapping it off. This was my first attempt with the product.
No you won't! After applying with the trowel, use the same trowel to rub it, then scrape it with the same trowel and then finish with the plastic, which will take the excessive silicone. The technique is lacking here not the product. The difference between the brands is mainly down to the shape of the quartz, hence less rounded ones will give slightly different finish, but nothing dramatic.

• Agree
Reactions: rb7
No you won't! After applying with the trowel, use the same trowel to rub it, then scrape it with the same trowel and then finish with the plastic, which will take the excessive silicone. The technique is lacking here not the product. The difference between the brands is mainly down to the shape of the quartz, hence less rounded ones will give slightly different finish, but nothing dramatic.

Ahhh OK. Thanks mate. Looks like I've missed a few steps them! I will rub up with the steel and scrape back the excess. Then use the plastic to rub up. Will report back next week.

Thanks to all who have replied for your help :rock:

Ahhh OK. Thanks mate. Looks like I've missed a few steps them! I will rub up with the steel and scrape back the excess. Then use the plastic to rub up. Will report back next week.

Water your material down, it will be easier to spread and easier to get tighter.

You'll be surprised how many " professionals " are missing the trick, not just you And for the life of me don't put 500ml of water in the bucket!!!
You are welcome btw.

Where did I say he sprayed it on? Spray was for comparison purpose to underline the fact you can do it without adding water.
Thin it out with 500ml ???? That will need brush, not a trowel!!!!
Same think? I doubt it!
My had is clear enough to see and spot the fucktard in you and tbh didn't give a toss until you started telling customers how much to expect to be charged and at the same time you didn't say how much do you charge!
Not sure you can be of any help even for the diy'ers tbh.

We water them all down between 300ml and 500ml and have never had a problem. By hand or sending through a hopper gun.

We Render day in day out.

You talk out of your arse, are a bully and have the grammar of a small child with learning disabilities.