Will skimming add value?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris17

Hi all,

Slightly different question (as I've been unable to find a definitive answer yet)...

Will removing tired anaglypta paper and re skimming add value to a house?

In a bit of a stalemate at the moment and could really use some genuine advice.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Slightly different question (as I've been unable to find a definitive answer yet)...

Will removing tired anaglypta paper and re skimming add value to a house?

In a bit of a stalemate at the moment and could really use some genuine advice.

Thanks in advance!
Yes ,as most people will not want it in their new home ,don,t use a streamer :RpS_crying: we all know it was used to hide bad walls

Last edited:
Hi Chris, as a plasterer I am bias and will say yes.get it stripped off using a hedgehog and replaster , welcome along by the way :RpS_thumbsup:

If your selling it then it will as it's the first thing the new buyers will do so saves them a job. If it doesn't add value it will certainly make it easier to sell.

i would say No, your house is only worth what someone wants to pay for it and that person might prefer wallpaper to skimmed walls.....IMO

If your selling it then it will as it's the first thing the new buyers will do so saves them a job. If it doesn't add value it will certainly make it easier to sell.

im with David on this one ,maybe not more value but blank canvas to do as they wish:RpS_thumbsup:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks all,

It's not my house but I've been asked to get it ready for selling. Olican, I will be plastering it myself as this is my main trade and I've offered my labour for free so I'm not sure you can beat that price! But if you can, give me a holler! ;-)

Im sure that removing the wallpaper and having the place skimmed throughout along with replacing all skirting boards will add more than the materials cost of this job to the value of the property.

The current valuation is 20k less than the sale price of an identical house three doors down so I'm guessing there is plenty of room for improvement?[/FONT]

Thanks all,

It's not my house but I've been asked to get it ready for selling. Olican, I will be plastering it myself as this is my main trade and I've offered my labour for free so I'm not sure you can beat that price! But if you can, give me a holler! ;-)

Im sure that removing the wallpaper and having the place skimmed throughout along with replacing all skirting boards will add more than the materials cost of this job to the value of the property.

The current valuation is 20k less than the sale price of an identical house three doors down so I'm guessing there is plenty of room for improvement?
Best of luck mate ,your more then get your money back :RpS_thumbup:

Not really necessary to skim if it doesn't need it, patch and fill might be good enough, lining paper hides a lot of sins and cracks especially..

Nice freshly plastered walls......... what's not to like?
It's a blank canvas as said and better than them 'orrible big flowery wallpapers they're all going for now :RpS_wink:

hi chris, if your going to plasterer it for nothing then they cant go wrong, i am sure if anyone was going to sell their house ang could get rid of the wallpaper and have it skimmed for the cost of the materials they would jump at the chance

Thanks all,

It's not my house but I've been asked to get it ready for selling. Olican, I will be plastering it myself as this is my main trade and I've offered my labour for free so I'm not sure you can beat that price! But if you can, give me a holler!

The current valuation is 20k less than the sale price of an identical house three doors down so I'm guessing there is plenty of room for improvement?
He must be a really good friend Chris.......Will you be my friend?:RpS_wub:

I think getting it skimmed defo adds value your putting the place back to its best nobody wants artex n shitty old paper all over walls it's the market your trying to attract and people these days want to move straight in and not do anymore than they have to skim it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.