What do people think of check a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

markj

I was thinking of joining check a trade
I am all ready on the buy with confidence register which means I am trading standards approved

As I have only been out on my own since september last year I am finding that work is feast or famine

I can work 6days a week for a month then nothing for a few or very little at best

Up to now the only advertising I have ever had was the sign writing on my van and word of mouth but I would like to try and get a little more of a flow.

So was thinking of web site or check a trade.
Have spoken to Danny about web site which I will do at some point but I can't help but think that if I don't advertise web site will be no use

What's your thoughts

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

I am not a fan of them type of sites for generating work
Decent website dont cost loads, gives peeps somewhere to check your work out
& get your customers to leave reviews ....
There is loads of places free on Internet to get your business listed too If you have a app phone , expert trades is free

Check a trade are a bag of s**t who rip you off and once your signed up its very difficult to get out as it were. Ive never bothered its what other trades people have told me. All those "trusted trades" things are only about taking your money thats it !! Ive been to correct quite a few jobs from where the customer has got somebody off one of these shite trust trade bollox !!

A Website should be your first investment.

I'm guessing your domestic not site?

I'm a member of Checkatrade,
I was given a 9months free trial and I've just renewed for my second year.

It's not for everyone.
I think you still have to put effort into it they can't do it all for you. Just by signing up won't get you work.

Since I've been a member I've quoted for and got more work than I can think of so for me it's worked.

But it's also down to how you present yourself.
With the public first impressions count. The obvious are don't turn up with a fag in mouth calling the client sugar tits and answering your phone while chatting to them etc.
Obvious I know but you'd be surprised at what some do and they wonder why they don't get call backs!

I find Checkatrade to be different to the other ones like my builder/ rated people etc.
There isn't as many time wasters and you don't buy leads! The client will view profiles for the trade required in there area and then contact who they choose.
Yes they could ring 5 people but that's competition, part of the job.
Set your self aside from the others and it will win you the work.
I'd say I get most of the work I quote for on there and in general.

I'm also a member of the FMB, that on the other hand I don't feel gives me as much work as Checkatrade however it's the piece of mind for the client knowing your part of a organisation that is supposed to be the mutts nutts!

I had check a trade easy getting an acc with them soon as they have there money they don't care I had a couple of jo s off it scores for me where 10/10 most of the customers are tossers on it and then. I had a problem where my business and name wasn't coming up so I phoned them they told me it was there so I asked a few people to search for me they couldn't find me this happened for 6 months when they ask you why did u leave check a trade and I told them it was s**t I got more work word of mouth they put the phone down and never bothered me again. End of the day it's crap. X

Might work for some ....
The programs they put on TV
Are making these,Company's
Lots of money ...
Scare the public with dodgy traders ..
Ohhh we best get a rated trader then ..

I am all ready on the buy with confidence register which means I am trading standards approved

As I have only been out on my own since september last year I am finding that work is feast or famine

I can work 6days a week for a month then nothing for a few or very little at best

Up to now the only advertising I have ever had was the sign writing on my van and word of mouth but I would like to try and get a little more of a flow.

Have spoken to Danny about web site which I will do at some point but I can't help but think that if I don't advertise web site will be no use

What's your thoughts

Steer clear! Biggest load of wank I have ever seen!!!
Get some builders boards made stick them outside every house you work at even if your only there for 10mins!
The only other thing I would suggest is getting an ad in a book.. E.g rated directories but a book that has pictures and what not

My cousin has a joinery company and he's had a couple of decent size extension jobs from it. Says it's been easily worth it.I'm not a fan myself like

If you looking for something similar to checkatrade, try experttrades.com, they are the same only difference it's free, they only started out a year ago obviously they haven't got loads of presence just yet, but I think they start a big campaign in the next month or two. They haven't generated many leads just yet but they working on it. They earn their money from online marketing. They a nice bunch of people, and family owned firm. Try them if you want online presence and review system it's free so no outlay. Best of luck whoever you go with. As above mentioned, there's cowboys everywhere, fmb, nhbc, master of guilds, fsb, etc.

checkatrade works... its not a lead generating site you dont pay for leads you pay for promotion and down on the south coast its one of the bets ways to get better trades...

Its not like the other myhammer kind of sites, it works and the way it works is about as good as you are going to get....

for the sake of £500 a year or what it costs its way cheaper and more efficient than the yellow pages was

There isn't a single answer to the best marketing method, if there was everyone would be using it and nothing
else.

You have to try a few and monitor their success rate. Where you are, what you do, the type of customers you want, size of jobs you can do and other will all affect your choice for successful advertising.

try mybuilder. its great. and im tight with my money. my coins are like washers. must get about fifteen leads a week off them. no subscription fees whatsoever. lead fees are only about three quid unlike that bunch of shysters rated people. fcuk me. had a free trial with them about two years ago and they are a fcuking disgrace. the leads were fake, they were about thirty quid each etc. cancelled it before the trial ended with credit still in the account. only thing with these sites is most people want the work doing asap and if youre busy then theres no point replying. its what i find.

What's your thoughts

Sorry for the dislike bud. I've just realised I'd done it and have now removed it.

I can't find the dislike button
Lol
I have pressed them loads lately by accident and remove them right away but just thaught I'd check the ratings given on my profile for any that I've pressed and missed.i use a tablet and the ratings are right where I scroll with my finger.:tonto:

Status
Not open for further replies.