Van help

Members online

Removed_User

right you all probably know I'm coming back in June. To the point though.

I'm saving like mad, but expect to only have around £4000 to come back with. After sorting rent, few new tools and everything and basic start-up costs (house/job/tools) I might not have huge amounts of cash to deal with. how would i go about this?

I don't wanna buy a 1000 quid run around that might not even get me to my first job, and on the other hand I might not have much more than that haha. Are there any options for me out there? Have any of you leased vans etc? Get the jobs rolling in and save for a new one?

Any help would be appreciated guys! Cheers

Don’t both leasing just yet, it’s another noose round your neck. Get a run about or even an estate car. Keep it simple and see how work pans out. Used vehicles are a lottery, you could get 1 for a grand and it last you a lifetime, you could get one for 10 and it blow up. Mate got bit with it, part ex his old tranny to get a Lwb crafter a few year ago 100k on the clock 10 plus his old van. Spent 3 n half grand on it in the first year. 3 year later it cost him another 2 chopped it in in the end he’s back in a new shape tranny. His old tranny never missed a beat just abit of a rust bucket.

Agree with @Topspread16 spend the absolute minimum to get yourself on the road for 12 months. Forget the shiny nonsense or tying yourself to a few years of contract payments. Get the work coming in and the rest will follow.

Something like this Transit Connect on eBay would be ideal I'd think. At £840 with 4 hours to go as I type. Clean and tidy enough, full MOT, reasonable on fuel and insurance, plenty in the breakers yards for SH parts to keep the cost down etc.

I've got a mk6 transit mate, cost me about £1700 a few years back and does the job. Its grey, so generally looks a bit smarter and has been really reliable, touch wood. Didn't want to spend loads and its more than paid for itself. If you're not bothered about getting an 8x4 in, then a combi size may do you. My mate just bought a Vauxhall combi for about £1400 and its really tidy. Would get you going and looks so much better than working out of a car.

I've got a mk6 transit mate, cost me about £1700 a few years back and does the job. Its grey, so generally looks a bit smarter and has been really reliable, touch wood. Didn't want to spend loads and its more than paid for itself. If you're not bothered about getting an 8x4 in, then a combi size may do you. My mate just bought a Vauxhall combi for about £1400 and its really tidy. Would get you going and looks so much better than working out of a car.
I've just so many questions haha.

Yeah that sounds the part.. Just a cheap run around to start that's all I'm really bothered with to be honet. first 12 months or so.

I've just so many questions haha.

Yeah that sounds the part.. Just a cheap run around to start that's all I'm really bothered with to be honet. first 12 months or so.
j

Loads of vans out there, just choose as wisely as you can and use the internet to learn about the quirks and Achilles heels of whatever make and model you're thinking of buying.

My transit is a bit pedestrian as modern vans go, but its a decent work horse and should hopefully give me another couple of years.

Mine field . Dont even waste ye time on looking at any ex roofer vans as strangley all roofs are fooked. I got ex royal mail low milage for 5 gtand and touch wood its been sound . Tranni i had before that was another great van til it just gave up but didnt owe me a penny and had more modeo parts on in end i think
End of day there just work horses that get hammered . I mean i cut through bulk head with angle grinder other day.
If you got kids and want a small van the astras with fold down seats are useful.

Getting this in a few weeks
Van help

I agree cheap van to start. I got a lwb.high roof transit connect . Because I’ve got a narrow driveway so is ideal. I’ve had big vans etc but just used to fill it up with everything but the kitchen sink. And everyone wants you to help them move there shite about. I can get lots in it 6x3 boards etc as you’ve seen . It was a company van from that firm that put the cladding on grenfall towers.. 2008 loads of dead locks and security it cost £2800 with the vat 90.000 miles diesel.
Van help

I agree cheap van to start. I got a lwb.high roof transit connect . Because I’ve got a narrow driveway so is ideal. I’ve had big vans etc but just used to fill it up with everything but the kitchen sink. And everyone wants you to help them move there shite about. I can get lots in it 6x3 boards etc as you’ve seen . It was a company van from that firm that put the cladding on grenfall towers.. 2008 loads of dead locks and security it cost £2800 with the vat 90.000 miles diesel.View attachment 25617
Is autotrader the place to go or would you recommend something else bud?

Is autotrader the place to go or would you recommend something else bud?
It’s a good place to start, try getting one off a company. Find a van you like google the company, if its been running less than a year give it a miss. JL vans is a good place, Warrington. Might just be out your budget though. Don’t bother with the just been took in part ex, somebody got rid of it for a reason and garages tend not to work on them. Just put their mark up on and flog it. Could always take your own warranty out on it, try not to blast your whole budget on it either, hold a few hundred back just in case something goes wrong with it.

I’d go for broke and just buy one brand new , got to be innit to win it , it’s like a mixing drill no point buying a second hand or crappy Aldi mixer might as well go straight to the best Collomix xo6

I’d go for broke and just buy one brand new , got to be innit to win it , it’s like a mixing drill no point buying a second hand or crappy Aldi mixer might as well go straight to the best Collomix xo6
My Aldi mixer is going fine as is my 08 Traffic thank you very much .Vincent you are just a plastering tart.

Vince, you are such a poser, he doesn’t need anything that’s worth three grand less as soon as he drives off. We use a transit get pretty much everything in including 8x4 gyproc not so good on cove though cos it’s racked out. Then again I used a hatchback Mondeo with a roof rack for years, amazing what they hold

Fair play lads , it’s good advice imo , I always remember getting similar advice when I started would of saved me money in the long run I think
Definitely don’t buy a transit at least lol

Fair play lads , it’s good advice imo , I always remember getting similar advice when I started would of saved me money in the long run I think
Definitely don’t buy a transit at least lol

Nowt wrong with a good trannie. Will give plenty of service! :D