Thistle UniFinish Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @gps,

UniFinish is available at Travis Perkins and a number of other stockists – if you’d like to try it give us a call and we’ll find your nearest (we can give you some options if you don’t want to go to certain ones!) We have done trials with B&Q and hope it will be available there soon – it would do us a favour if you could ask your preferred supplier to stock it!

thanks for the reply, its never going to take off in travis perkins though, you need to get it into wickes/b&q thats where domestic plasterers get 90% of their gear and surely thats your target market for this,

thanks for the reply, its never going to take off in travis perkins though, you need to get it into wickes/b&q thats where domestic plasterers get 90% of their gear and surely thats your target market for this,
No problem, thanks for asking, hopefully it will be in there soon!

Hi @theclemo - this is a tricky one – there is no single cause so no “magic bullet” to stop it. It tends to be more likely if:

1) The site weather is cold

2) The plaster is mixed much more than necessary

3) More water is used during trowelling up

4) The final trowel is done with a high trowel angle (some call this a “cutting” action – the opposite of a flat angle)

The best way to avoid it, e.g. in cold weather, is to try to work neatly and get the surface flat early, so there is less need to move material around later – it’s this that seems to make it show up. Hope this helps!

I have tried all the above and still get them in bg multi. But don't get them in irish gyproc skim.

James the problem with fibres in the plaster is they'd be in the topcoat too and risk showing through. I only ever put a handful in my first coat then second coat as normal

How is durafinish different to unifinish as they are both able to adhere to smooth surfaces with no need of pva but durafinish cannot go onto a well keyed browning or hardwall without the need for gyprime?!
Can unifinish be applied to a painted surface flattened but second coated with multi or board finish?

Also, to answer your other question, generally it’s not a good idea to mix plasters coat-by-coat in this way and we haven’t tested this method, so we can’t recommend it. Also, the final coat is usually thinner than the first so the saving is small anyway – not worth the risk.

Okay, time to sign off now, but thanks for all your questions, hope it's been useful.

We'll be doing another Q&A in a couple of months so we'll keep you updated on that, but in the meantime let us know any other questions!

Thanks,
Steve

Having said that ive never tried them in the top coat? Just assumed it'd be risky
Those fibres from wickes and Source 4 Me are very good and dont show through top coat but i usually just put plenty in the first mix and in undercoats. I sprinkle them into the water and wisk through before adding powder not sprinkle into the plaster.

Those fibres from wickes and Source 4 Me are very good and dont show through top coat but i usually just put plenty in the first mix and in undercoats. I sprinkle them into the water and wisk through before adding powder not sprinkle into the plaster.

I use the wickes fibres also. Same as you put them in the water and whisk it before adding the powder. @BritishGypsum I know a few people who do it when over skimming. Mainly on substrates that are solid but covered in cracks.

Okay, time to sign off now, but thanks for all your questions, hope it's been useful.

We'll be doing another Q&A in a couple of months so we'll keep you updated on that, but in the meantime let us know any other questions!

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry i missed your call. U can call me tomorrow anytime will suit.

Thanks,
Steve

cant wait :reloco:this one was better than s*x

british gypsum aint a bad price, though, for most products. ill give them that. i went over to ccf in liverpool today and got 15 mp finish. ended up paying 8.40 a bag :mad: this was after i phoned them and got quoted 7.23 a bag :mad: in that its part of tp i should have known. w4nkers. anyway as i was leaving the job tonight i noticed the side of the bags say use by 23 /3 / 2015 :sorprendido3: so not only rip me off but sell me out of date gear. sums up knaufs problem. selling it through merchants that make up the prices as they go rather than putting it in wickes. so will go and do a little patch job somewhere else in the morning then take all the gear back to them in the afternoon and get back my money and stick to bg

Hi @Danny,

It’s a combination of all these: if it was a simple material problem we would be able to fix it but unfortunately it’s usually a complex mix of things including the environment and site conditions – it wouldn’t just be down to user error

To be honest you get them from a hour in if you have your trowel to much on edge , although the cold site conditions may add up aswell ..... :)

british gypsum aint a bad price, though, for most products. ill give them that. i went over to ccf in liverpool today and got 15 mp finish. ended up paying 8.40 a bag :mad: this was after i phoned them and got quoted 7.23 a bag :mad: in that its part of tp i should have known. w4nkers. anyway as i was leaving the job tonight i noticed the side of the bags say use by 23 /3 / 2015 :sorprendido3: so not only rip me off but sell me out of date gear. sums up knaufs problem. selling it through merchants that make up the prices as they go rather than putting it in wickes. so will go and do a little patch job somewhere else in the morning then take all the gear back to them in the afternoon and get back my money and stick to bg

Wickes is a travis company to

aye youre right. but they have the prices displayed on the shelves. tp make it up as they go along. like hews grey, went in there a few months back and was asked for 3.95 for one 8 foot bead :inocente: dont have an account with them but they could see me covered in plaster and the van outside. dicks. great way to drum up future business :reloco:

british gypsum. cant live with them. cant live without them. crazy :aburrido:

hews grey, went in there a few months back and was asked for 3.95 for one 8 foot bead :inocente: dont have an account with them but they could see me covered in plaster and the van outside. dicks. great way to drum up future business

The only way I've found to get reasonable prices and service from the Hews I used was to spend time chatting to the blokes on the counter about rugby. Mostly about how good/unlucky Wales were depending on if they won or lost. :D

Travis Perkins are shite and overpriced plus the yard lads generally useless and lazy !! (up north)

Status
Not open for further replies.