Sub-par Plastering?

OceanWave7

I recently had plastering work done in my hallway, landing, and staircase. Additionally, some new boards were required for a stud wall in the hallway. While the finish looked largely acceptable, there are specific areas that are unsatisfactory to me.

The images don't capture everything, but for the most part, I've noticed some dings (likely from the plasterer's trowel), some uneven spots that would require filling and sanding prior to painting, and neglected spots near an electrical socket and a switch.

For the job, I was charged over £1250, and this was carried out in the Midlands. The work entailed a day of prep with two people and another day for applying two coats of plaster, also by two people.

After noting these issues, the plasterer returned and filled some of these imperfections with fine surface polyfilla (still missed some) and said that these should be sanded down by the decorator before the mist coat is applied.

Is it reasonable for me to be unhappy with this outcome and the proposed resolution from the plasterer?

Also, after a skim coat should it be completely smooth from top to bottom, including just above the skirting? As currently that's all completely rough...

It isn’t dried out yet once it is you will see the imperfections more and maybe notice some more looks like a case of filling and sanding once it’s all dried it’s not the best job

I recently had plastering work done in my hallway, landing, and staircase. Additionally, some new boards were required for a stud wall in the hallway. While the finish looked largely acceptable, there are specific areas that are unsatisfactory to me.

The images don't capture everything, but for the most part, I've noticed some dings (likely from the plasterer's trowel), some uneven spots that would require filling and sanding prior to painting, and neglected spots near an electrical socket and a switch.

For the job, I was charged over £1250, and this was carried out in the Midlands. The work entailed a day of prep with two people and another day for applying two coats of plaster, also by two people.

After noting these issues, the plasterer returned and filled some of these imperfections with fine surface polyfilla (still missed some) and said that these should be sanded down by the decorator before the mist coat is applied.

Is it reasonable for me to be unhappy with this outcome and the proposed resolution from the plasterer?

Also, after a skim coat should it be completely smooth from top to bottom, including just above the skirting? As currently that's all completely rough...

Ouch!

It isn’t dried out yet once it is you will see the imperfections more and maybe notice some more looks like a case of filling and sanding once it’s all dried it’s not the best job
Those pictures were from a few days ago so it's pretty much completely dried out now. Do you think asking for a re-skim of some areas is the right approach here as yes a lot of the imperfections are now fairly apparent and a rapid application of some polyfilla doesn't solve it...

I did everything right in terms of word-of-mouth recommendations, paid on the upper-end of quotes I received also...

That bad eh?

There are parts downstairs that are smooth like glass, then huge areas upstairs that are rough. Would you expect it all to be smooth like glass from top to bottom and with no imperfections?

Skirting boards were left in a mess too.

Bet it was a cheap job

Some areas like glass, couldn't be bothered in other areas, sounds like could be low dough,

Someone's started with the filler already,

Needs to dry and then assess.

At the mo, spot filling and sanding it looks.

Sockets left on the wall to work round should be removed by an electrician and wires tucked in box and no it shouldnt be like glass as the paint doesnt adhere well.
Sockets and switches were pulled out rather than removed as I did ask was it needed (my old man's a sparky)

Bet it was a cheap job

Some areas like glass, couldn't be bothered in other areas, sounds like could be low dough,

Someone's started with the filler already,

Needs to dry and then assess.

At the mo, spot filling and sanding it looks.
I mean it was £1300... If I could get him back to skim back over sections would that be the best course of action rather than fill and sand?

That bad eh?

There are parts downstairs that are smooth like glass, then huge areas upstairs that are rough. Would you expect it all to be smooth like glass from top to bottom and with no imperfections?

Skirting boards were left in a mess too.
No self respecting plasterer would have done a job like that.
Absolutely disgusting work!
Unfortunately whoever has done this for you is not qualified.

No self respecting plasterer would have done a job like that.
Absolutely disgusting work!
Unfortunately whoever has done this for you is not qualified.
At least I know it's not me being fussy about it and I'm justified in what I'm saying. Forgive if this is not the right course of action but can certain patches be skimmed over to be made good?

At least I know it's not me being fussy about it and I'm justified in what I'm saying. Forgive if this is not the right course of action but can certain patches be skimmed over to be made good?
I would definitely not let them men back into your house to cause more criminal damage. Ask for the money back and put it towards paying a professional decorator (not painter) to hopefully work his magic. :rolleyes:

I would definitely not let them men back into your house to cause more criminal damage. Ask for the money back and put it towards paying a professional decorator (not painter) to hopefully work his magic. :rolleyes:
I don't think I'll be getting any of the money back I'm not gonna lie. I mean I've still got a bunch of cleanup on the skirting and front composite door to do (I am slightly concerned that it's not going to come out)

Attachments

• IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9931.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 164
I mean it was £1300... If I could get him back to skim back over sections would that be the best course of action rather than fill and sand?

£1300 for materials...how much was the labour?

You could hire a flex giraffe and blitz it.

It was £1300 total. Going to cost me more with the decorator though even just with the skirting

Unbelievable £1300 barely covers the materials. To be honest I would have just chucked it on the wall and not troweled it for that money! Good luck with the painting...I find most decorators can't be f**ked these days to do any prep best do it all yourself then get Dec in.

Unbelievable £1300 barely covers the materials. To be honest I would have just chucked it on the wall and not troweled it for that money! Good luck with the painting...I find most decorators can't be f**ked these days to do any prep best do it all yourself then get Dec in.
Really? From what I saw outside of the PVA it was 4 boards and 5 bags of British Gypsum Thistle MultiFinish. It was just a skim coat, not all new boards and back to brick. Also, the other quotes I got initially around the same price, only marginally more.

Really? From what I saw outside of the PVA it was 4 boards and 5 bags of British Gypsum Thistle MultiFinish. It was just a skim coat, not all new boards and back to brick. Also, the other quotes I got initially around the same price, only marginally more.
In freeD land theres a lot of 20%'s to add so that £10 bag of finish plus delivery plus ulez charge plus vat plus high rate tax charge plus subbie charge etc adds up to over £100 a bag ;)

Last edited:
In freeD land theres a lot of 20%'s to add so that £10 bag of finish plus delivery plus ulez charge plus vat plus high rate tax charge plus subbie charge etc adds up to over £100 a bag ;)

It does add up mate but I'm running a business not a charity like some on here.

Tbh any plasterer that doesn't mask off wood work etc on domestics is lazy and rough imo .... sets the tone if they think a cloth will clean it after

Parts look sub standard ... Probably tried to be heroes and put too much on and haven't had time to fall back ... Get em back

I' ve never masked up painted woodwork in 40 years. A plasterer can get it on the wall without smothering everything and a few bits clean off easy while wet.
And somehow even with the floor coverings there are dried globs all over the carpet... That's going to be fun to try and get out