speed limits for vans

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

twitcher

Private Member
I've only just been aware of this through a mate who got fined for doing 70 in a van down a dual carriageway. They were photographed by a mobile ANPR, you know the vans with the cameras sticking out the back.

Clarification of national speed limits for vans

to sum up, all vans under 7.5 tonnes are subject to lower speed limits than cars on single and dual carriageways.

vans are limited to 50 mph on a single carriageway, and 60 mph on a dual carriageway.

This is because years ago when vans had crap brakes, they figured you needed more stopping distance when loaded, so they reduced the speed limit. If you have a Kombi van (with seats in rear) the speed limit is the same as a car. Personally I think you'd have to be very unlucky to have a copper pull you over for doing 70 on a dual carriageway. I regularly overtake coppers on my way home doing 70+ and they don't bat an eye.

Aye i heard that. A mate of mine was done driving his tranny in the highlands at 60mph. I didn't buy my 140 tranny to drive it slowly. It regularly sees the ton, when nobody's aboot!!! lol ......and i have a few spare litres of diesel

Yeah I knew about this but unless there's a speed camera or camera van about I don't take any notice fcuk em!!

Yea my mate got caught by one of those camera vans.
He slowed down from about 97mph to cruise by it at 70 and got done on a duel carrigeway.
You can do 70 if your in a car derrived van apparently.

If the dual carriageway is national speed limit and has a central barrier then you are able to do 70, it's only those without the central barrier that you are restricted to 60,

If the dual carriageway is national speed limit and has a central barrier then you are able to do 70, it's only those without the central barrier that you are restricted to 60,

Not according to the Highway Code you can't. If your van isn't car derived then you can only do 60mph on dual carriageways, 70mph is only allowed on motorways.

got the van mot'd today. it was making a bit of a noise when braking but assumed new pads. all in all its new disks, new pads, welding on the sill, inefficiant back brakes, new mirror and new bulb. lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies.