Rendering above French doors / windows

Members online

AndyMurray93

Hello all,

(Please see images attached)

I’m a technology engineer so far from a qualified plasterer/ renderer, however when I bought my house I got quoted £15000 to have my house re rendered which I thought was ALOT, so as sad as it may sound I’ve studied how to render for the past 8-10 months after work works, watching every single YouTube video I can find and reading forums, I am however stuck hence why I’m screaming out for some advise from you lovely lot. Above the French doors seems to be a drip bead / bell drip / pre formed in concrete, there’s no way I can stick an angle bead on it as it just won’t fit flush, ideally I’d like to have angle beads on the reveals and possibly a stop bead at the top of the door, I understand why the bell cast drip was installed to deflect water away however I want all angles beads to meet up perfectly square, basically I want everything uniform.

I can only imagine I’ll need to get my angle grinder out and cut it down and then install a scratch coat before applying a stop bead.

Reason why I’m wanting to learn how to render

1: save cash
2: ensure my property is waterproof
3 old stipple coated latex is falling off the entire property, (not shown in images attached) but it looks absolutely dreadful.
4: it’s actually more interesting than playing around with network switches and routers so I’m becoming obsessed with it all.
5: I want to prove to myself I can learn a new trade, no one is born a professional.

Hope someone can reach out and say Andy your being an idiot ‘this is how you should do it’

Kind regards

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    917.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Its a massive challenge, possibly a really stupid one, I know, however rendering in sections via expansion beads to angle beads would help, I would need to take it 1 wall at a time whilst doing my absolute best to ensure the scratch and top are all level. I'm either really aspirational or an idiot.

Hello all,

(Please see images attached)

I’m a technology engineer so far from a qualified plasterer/ renderer, however when I bought my house I got quoted £15000 to have my house re rendered which I thought was ALOT, so as sad as it may sound I’ve studied how to render for the past 8-10 months after work works, watching every single YouTube video I can find and reading forums, I am however stuck hence why I’m screaming out for some advise from you lovely lot. Above the French doors seems to be a drip bead / bell drip / pre formed in concrete, there’s no way I can stick an angle bead on it as it just won’t fit flush, ideally I’d like to have angle beads on the reveals and possibly a stop bead at the top of the door, I understand why the bell cast drip was installed to deflect water away however I want all angles beads to meet up perfectly square, basically I want everything uniform.

I can only imagine I’ll need to get my angle grinder out and cut it down and then install a scratch coat before applying a stop bead.

Reason why I’m wanting to learn how to render

1: save cash
2: ensure my property is waterproof
3 old stipple coated latex is falling off the entire property, (not shown in images attached) but it looks absolutely dreadful.
4: it’s actually more interesting than playing around with network switches and routers so I’m becoming obsessed with it all.
5: I want to prove to myself I can learn a new trade, no one is born a professional.

Hope someone can reach out and say Andy your being an idiot ‘this is how you should do it’

Kind regards

Andy
Ffs
How much would you pay for a kitchen or bathroom then?

Well if your going down that road I would advise to get bagged one coat render saves you coming on here asking how to work ratios out on sand+cement

the square on the wall in the photos is Weber OCR, i applied 1 coat and then scratched with scarifier and then topped up with top coat ruled off, floated and sponged, i used render stop beads and pink grip, i wanted to test the product stays on the wall for a proof of concept, i have done rendering before in the past, garden walls and flower beds however tackling a house is an enormous difference, its a mountain of a job for a single man, however with the use of scaffolding, starting work at 5-6am and doing a 12-14 hour shift for a couple of days/weeks i believe is doable, i do however need assistance with the forms above the french doors, as in whats the best process to get an angle bead in, use an angle grinder ? smash the upper lip of the bell cast form and then scratch coat level before applying an angle bead ? or use a stop bead ? or even use a upvc bell cast bead, this is what im scratching my head at.

although i am a network engineer i have done other trades in the past, felt roof installation, plumbing, slate roof installation. im okay with my hands i suppose, and feel i can certainly give this a good go.

what do you guys use above doors / windows that have shallow reveals ?

and yes Wimbledon wasnt paying me enough

thankyou for any help on this one,

The photos depict inside a conservatory.
Before you tackle the whole exterior of the house start by knocking off all the old render in the conservatory back to brick. (Only as good as your background)
Set your beads, scratch coat followed by top coat.
See how you get on with that first as it's a small area.
If you struggle then get a pro to do the rest.

Looks like it could be a rosemary tile to form a drip, just smash it off along with the old render then have a look, think your over complicating it