Rendering a garden boundary wall

Members online

CPF

New to here, say Hi to everyone.

Looking for some advices whether I should render the garden wall or not.

The Wall:
The wall is a boundary wall sat between us and our neighbour. Not sure what brick it is but can see some hollows from the top layer of bricks. Most of the concrete copping are gone. The condition of the wall is fair, NO DPC, efflorescence appears and pointing doesn't look good. Some bricks on top are movable. Although I can't see from my side, the neighbour should have timber cladding on the wall.

The Concern (damp/ ingress of water)
1. The length of the wall is about 15 to 17 meters but I can only access to 11 metres as there is an extension from my side where I can't access to it so I have to stop rendering at some point. Will water get through the side of the render even bead stop is in place?

2. Some bricks are face broken and some pointings are missing. Gaps within bricks are observed but not many. Also, the wall on the neighbour side is fully exposed to sun, rain or anything you can imagine. Would water/ damp travel through from their side to our side and will this lead to render crack / flake off (even I have my side water proofed i.e. Black Jack DPM)?

3. Can I render it to the ground or leave 100m to 150mm clearence to stop damp bridging? Again, there is NO DPC on the wall...

4. Is weight a concern render only on one side?

Thank you so much for looking at this. Appreciate for your input.

Will - DIYer

Attachments

• 20230725_093859.jpg
    20230725_093859.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

The Wall:
The wall is a boundary wall sat between us and our neighbour. Not sure what brick it is but can see some hollows from the top layer of bricks. Most of the concrete copping are gone. The condition of the wall is fair, NO DPC, efflorescence appears and pointing doesn't look good. Some bricks on top are movable. Although I can't see from my side, the neighbour should have timber cladding on the wall.

1. The length of the wall is about 15 to 17 meters but I can only access to 11 metres as there is an extension from my side where I can't access to it so I have to stop rendering at some point. Will water get through the side of the render even bead stop is in place?

2. Some bricks are face broken and some pointings are missing. Gaps within bricks are observed but not many. Also, the wall on the neighbour side is fully exposed to sun, rain or anything you can imagine. Would water/ damp travel through from their side to our side and will this lead to render crack / flake off (even I have my side water proofed i.e. Black Jack DPM)?

3. Can I render it to the ground or leave 100m to 150mm clearence to stop damp bridging? Again, there is NO DPC on the wall...

Will - DIYer

Might be better with just pointing it up and putting new copings on.

Forget render to garden walls in uk@ famous for its shite weather

As said ,either or /make good brickwork top @ coping
Batten @ clad in timber ….

Reactions: CPF

The Wall:

Will - DIYer
Remove and have a 6ft fence fitted or have a fence fitted in front and it’s the neighbours problem.

Thank you Chrispy.
Is painting an option after pointing? Will damp ingress from the other side affects the paint to pop or flake?

It is, but impossible to tell how it’ll last. You then have the on going maintenance and if you don’t like it, you’re stuck. I personally think it looks classier with just the brick work and only consider rendering a last resort but that’s just my preference. Bit of a labourof love job, but as long as you keep your pointing mix consistent you can do it a section at a time and save your sanity.

It is, but impossible to tell how it’ll last. You then have the on going maintenance and if you don’t like it, you’re stuck. I personally think it looks classier with just the brick work and only consider rendering a last resort but that’s just my preference. Bit of a labourof love job, but as long as you keep your pointing mix consistent you can do it a section at a time and save your sanity.
Thank you Chrispy.

I might end up just keeping the wall as you said coping up and repointing. Rendering looks pretty but it won't last and will cause me a lot in maintenance.

Really nice when one DIY enthusiast helps another on here. Makes me feel warm inside. Actually that might be the rum?