PVA, SBR or nothing at all?

Members online

Slippery

Hi,
I'm a multi skilled carpenter with 27 years in the trades, I do a bit of plaster skimming but have never done any rendering.
I'm repairing hollows in the render of my 1894 Victorian house and have tried to find as much info as possible before knocking off.
So far, I've gathered that I should use a 4:1:1 sand cement and hydrated lime mix with waterproofer in the base coat but I get conflicting views on whether to use PVA or SBR or just wash the bricks down and render whilst still wet.
Personally, I get the feeling that PVA should be used but don't want to make things any more difficult that they are already.

Any advice please?

TIA

58C8FD68-8DE2-48C7-A050-3C03F7C13653.jpeg

Hi,
I'm a multi skilled carpenter with 27 years in the trades, I do a bit of plaster skimming but have never done any rendering.
I'm repairing hollows in the render of my 1894 Victorian house and have tried to find as much info as possible before knocking off.
So far, I've gathered that I should use a 4:1:1 sand cement and hydrated lime mix with waterproofer in the base coat but I get conflicting views on whether to use PVA or SBR or just wash the bricks down and render whilst still wet.
Personally, I get the feeling that PVA should be used but don't want to make things any more difficult that they are already.

Any advice please?

TIA

Inside or out?

What backing ?

What finish?

Pics?

Hi,

Any advice please?

TIA
Your mix is wrong for a start = recipe for disaster!
Just hire a local and well recommended plasterer and you can rest easy back to butchering wood.

Outside, on brick with a smooth finish
Pics would help

If it's 1894, probably a lime mix

Understand that the sand and cement mix (with lime) you describe is NOT a lime mix.

Just so you know and before it cracks where they join each other.

One moves, one don't.

Just piss in the mix m8
Not that helpful!

Your mix is wrong for a start = recipe for disaster!
Would be more helpful with a suggestion of what you would recommend!

If it's 1894, probably a lime mix
No, it's sand and cement, at least on the two top levels, I've not inspected the dashing below yet

Just hire a local and well recommended plasterer and you can rest easy back to butchering wood.
I've had enough experience paying people to f**k things up on my houses, I do my own work unless it's impossible. Nobody available locally anyway.

I'll try get some pics up

Not that helpful!

Would be more helpful with a suggestion of what you would recommend!

No, it's sand and cement, at least on the two top levels, I've not inspected the dashing below yet

I've had enough experience paying people to f**k things up on my houses, I do my own work unless it's impossible. Nobody available locally anyway.

I'll try get some pics up
Im Out Season 8 GIF by The Office

I already left, I was looking for help but found a site full of Prima Donna's and people thinking they are some kind of genius because they can spread muck on a wall!
Thanks but not thanks at all!
Did you take my advice and hire a professional plasterer?

They’re out there with lots of bills to pay.