PROBLEMS WITH NEW PLASTERING ON WET WALL

craighull11

Hi, just before i moved into my house, there was a leak in a living room wall, the previous owners fixed the leak but did a quick fix bodge job on the wall. we just shoved a tv unit in front of it and forget about it for 3 years .
we have just got round to sorting it out, we have had the wall reskimmed- the small part of the wall that had " blown out" has been replastered and skimmed over, the trouble is it is not drying- the rest of the wall has been dry for 10 days but this patch is still dark brown. we have had dehumidifiers and fans on it for a week non stop and its making no difference.
spoke to the plasterer and he said the bricks must be really wet still and never dried out , even though they seemed dry when he did it.
I am thinking of investing in indstrial fans/dehumidifiers to dry the wall out, but my query is, can this be done with the plaster still on, or is it best to have this new plaster chopped off and get these fans on the bare brick then get it plastered again?
attached a photo to show the difference ( this 14 days after the work done )
Thanks

Attachments

• plaster.JPG
    plaster.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
If it’s that wet then there’s something causing it I would dig a little deeper if I were you what’s on the other side of the wall all that water is coming from somewhere

Hi, just before i moved into my house, there was a leak in a living room wall, the previous owners fixed the leak but did a quick fix bodge job on the wall. we just shoved a tv unit in front of it and forget about it for 3 years .
we have just got round to sorting it out, we have had the wall reskimmed- the small part of the wall that had " blown out" has been replastered and skimmed over, the trouble is it is not drying- the rest of the wall has been dry for 10 days but this patch is still dark brown. we have had dehumidifiers and fans on it for a week non stop and its making no difference.
spoke to the plasterer and he said the bricks must be really wet still and never dried out , even though they seemed dry when he did it.
I am thinking of investing in indstrial fans/dehumidifiers to dry the wall out, but my query is, can this be done with the plaster still on, or is it best to have this new plaster chopped off and get these fans on the bare brick then get it plastered again?
Thanks

you live in the middle of the Atlantic ocean
get used to it

Thanks
That's, without doubt, a wet wall area, no question there. What caused the leak that said previous idiots flagged up mate ?

Last edited:
on the other side is the neighbours, the leak effected both sides of the wall... the mains water pipe comes in under the floor parallel to that wall and then it tees off into their property around that area .
apparently the people who moved out were noticing water on the wall for a couple of years before and never did anything about it , then just before selling both sides started seeing the damp and wet and had it investigated and the pipe was leaking, like i say they had it fixed- but then neither side dealt with it properly, all the skirting and end of the floorboards were all rotten in that area too i think both just chucked damp seal on and did half arse plaster job then we chucked furniture in front of it and wallpapered over ( which ive also read is bad for keeping in any damp) - so it never had any opportunuty to dry out- but sounds like it was leaking for ages so the wall could be soaked.
i have a feeling i need that wet stuff removing, and need to dry the brick wall, had fans/dehumidifiers/heaters blasting on it over a week and its not laying a glove on it, but im guessing if its the bricks thats soaked it needs taking off to do it quicker?

Last edited:
on the other side is the neighbours, the leak effected both sides of the wall... the mains water pipe comes in under the floor parallel to that wall and then it tees off into their property around that area .
apparently the people who moved out were noticing water on the wall for a couple of years before and never did anything about it , then just before selling both sides started seeing the damp and wet and had it investigated and the pipe was leaking, like i say they had it fixed- but then neither side dealt with it properly, all the skirting and end of the floorboards were all rotten in that area too i think both just chucked damp seal on and did half arse plaster job then we chucked furniture in front of it and wallpapered over ( which ive also read is bad for keeping in any damp) - so it never had any opportunuty to dry out- but sounds like it was leaking for ages so the wall could be soaked.
i have a feeling i need that wet stuff removing, and need to dry the brick wall, had fans/dehumidifiers/heaters blasting on it over a week and its not laying a glove on it, but im guessing if its the bricks thats soaked it needs taking off to do it quicker?
Yes hacking off will dry it quicker. It can take ages to dry otherwise

Shocking photo quality. Why would you even post such a bad quality photo. Get a new camera or clean the lense then try again.