Plastering fireplace edges

Members online

No members online now.

sarahdh7

Hi,

I'm hoping I'm in there right place to get some advice, so thanks in advance if you can help!

We just bought a house, previous owners had a log burner installed around 2-3 years ago. They had a cheap wooden fire surround screwed to the wall, which we are hoping to replace with an oak mantel beam at a later date. I removed the fire surround today, and this is what was hiding underneath! The plaster has cracked along the top, the sides are a mess, and there are big holes along the bottom.

We are wanting to keep the brick slips in the recess, and just have nice neat plaster on the wall. What is the best way for me to fix the following:

1. The cracked plaster along the top where the metal beading is.
2. Get straight, neat edges on the uprights, where the plaster on the wall meets the brick slips? The brick slips are currently not straight at all.
3. Fill the big holes at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_8787.jpeg
    IMG_8787.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8788.jpeg
    IMG_8788.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8791.jpeg
    IMG_8791.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8792.jpeg
    IMG_8792.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8795.jpeg
    IMG_8795.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
The best way would be to employ a plasterer who is capable of producing straight angles without angle beads. Beads will just crack with the heat from a log burner as what has happened . Have the whole chimney breast re skimmed and holes filled.

The best way would be to employ a plasterer who is capable of producing straight angles without angle beads. Beads will just crack with the heat from a log burner as what has happened . Have the whole chimney breast re skimmed and holes filled.
Iv beaded hundreds of chimney openings they don’t crack, if it had a surround before it’s trapped the heat against the bead causing it to crack.
Simply knock off the plaster. Bond out and fit beads, scrim bead edges and skim. Problem sorted, hour and a half’s work

Iv beaded hundreds of chimney openings they don’t crack, if it had a surround before it’s trapped the heat against the bead causing it to crack.
Simply knock off the plaster. Bond out and fit beads, scrim bead edges and skim. Problem sorted, hour and a half’s work

Hi, thanks for this :) How far back should I knock the plaster? Just the loose bits? There is a metal bead along the top (you can see it in the photos). Is that one ok to leave there or does it need replacing with a different type?

I'm not sure what to do on the vertical edges, because if I use bead there it will be visible on the inside of the recess (the brick slip part). The brick slips are also quite wonky, so I am struggling to see how I can get a reasonably straight edge.

@ OP … Did you get install certificate .@ contract purchase….cos that’s dog shite .….

The end …..

@ OP … Did you get install certificate .@ contract purchase….cos that’s dog shite .….

The end …..

The log burner was already installed when we bought the house (we only bought the house recently). I have searched online and there is a HETAS certificate. Is there anything we should be particularly worried about?

Unfortunately we found the plastering mess underneath when I unscrewed the old fire surround yesterday, ready for decorating the room. We don't have money to get anyone in to do any work (as much as I'd love to!), so I'm just trying to find out what I can do to tidy it up for now, and then in the future when we can afford it, maybe get the whole wall redone.

The log burner was already installed when we bought the house (we only bought the house recently). I have searched online and there is a HETAS certificate. Is there anything we should be particularly worried about?

Unfortunately we found the plastering mess underneath when I unscrewed the old fire surround yesterday, ready for decorating the room. We don't have money to get anyone in to do any work (as much as I'd love to!), so I'm just trying to find out what I can do to tidy it up for now, and then in the future when we can afford it, maybe get the whole wall redone.
That surround was combustible /:I would ride @ Hetas

That surround was combustible /:I would ride @ Hetas
I'm not sure what you mean? There's no surround in the photos, and the one that was there was added by the previous owners, not the company who installed the log burner.

Do you give your customers the tail light guarantee? As long as they can see your tail lights you will call back and fix the cracked beads?

Yeah I also give crusty old c**ts the chin guarantee, gob off in person and I guarantee you can’t take 1 on the chin
Prick
Well said . There's a few to many know it all c**ts on here there fuk all wrong with what you said about the beads . There's hundreds of wood burners dabbed float in render ect ect they don't all crack . I did a good few inside and out in ocr with mesh . Perfectly fine to this day

It's usually the wankers who've never put a photo up of anything they've ever done . Just lying in the background ready to shoot ever c**t down