Plasterboard Battens Ceiling

davedavedave

Hi. I have a ceiling in my house that was damaged so I decided to take it down and found the joists aren't very level.
I need to plasterboard it so I have decided the best idea for me would be to cross batten my ceiling, use shims to get it level and space out the centres to fit the boards and plasterboard it. I have bought come 50x25mm roofing battens to do the job.
The battens are treated and I was wondering would I just use wood screws to fix the battens to the original ceiling joists like these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscre...k-multipurpose-screws-5-x-80mm-100-pack/17131

Or do the screws have to be a different type like an decking type screw as the battens are treated. I read somewhere that treated wood can corrode screws??
I would just be using regular plasterboard screws to fix the board to the battens. Anyway I just wondered what you guys think before I start doing the work.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• Plasterboard Battens Ceiling
    IMG_3711.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 406
Hi. I have a ceiling in my house that was damaged so I decided to take it down and found the joists aren't very level.
I need to plasterboard it so I have decided the best idea for me would be to cross batten my ceiling, use shims to get it level and space out the centres to fit the boards and plasterboard it. I have bought come 50x25mm roofing battens to do the job.
The battens are treated and I was wondering would I just use wood screws to fix the battens to the original ceiling joists like these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscre...k-multipurpose-screws-5-x-80mm-100-pack/17131

Or do the screws have to be a different type like an decking type screw as the battens are treated. I read somewhere that treated wood can corrode screws??
I would just be using regular plasterboard screws to fix the board to the battens. Anyway I just wondered what you guys think before I start doing the work.

Thanks

Dave

Pre drill with a clearance hole, makes it easier to adjust with the shims. Just find lowest spot on joists and work from there. You may need longer screws depending on how far out your joists are. I've had 60mm before on old ceilings.