Peeling

spreadz

Had a search through old posts but can't find the questions I'm after, so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

The last couple of overskims I have done have peeled a little towards the end of the set. It's not peeleing back to original background just the very top of the skim I have put on.

I'm confident my pva is a good ratio so don't think it's that, am I just hitting it to late? Too early? Not using enough water? Putting it on too thin? I'm lost!

Any advise much appreciated

Had a search through old posts but can't find the questions I'm after, so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

The last couple of overskims I have done have peeled a little towards the end of the set. It's not peeleing back to original background just the very top of the skim I have put on.

I'm confident my pva is a good ratio so don't think it's that, am I just hitting it to late? Too early? Not using enough water? Putting it on too thin? I'm lost!

Any advise much appreciated
Could be your pva ratio is a bit off but most likely your apply the second coat of skim at not just the right time.

Try troweling it just down the way, can help reduce peeling if it's too dry. Doesn't always help though.

s**t plaster, feel like ive been doing this job 20 days not 20 years nowadays....

I can't even get it off the F*****g handboard never mind trowel the F*****g wall up right!!!!

Ah I think I know what you mean. This happened to me near big open doors wind coming in. Need to chuck water on. I think it happened because the first coat was going but I never fully decided

you say its happened on your last couple of overscims, were they the same back grounds ie painted surfaces or artexed, and have you had the same problem on plasterboard, it could be a lot of things going wrong, timing, suction with wrong pva ratio

The last couple of overskims have been on painted walls... it never happens on board... trowel is nicely worn in, it's 6yr old...

And yes, chuckin a lot of water at it and changing trowel direction did help when it happened...

Just timings to adjust then. Plenty of water and trowel down usually works when peeling happens, but not always. First day with a new boss a few years ago no matter what direction pulled the trowel, peeled all roads n directions.had to close in with flexi to avoid peeling, then use steel rest of set to iron out waves.

Treat yourself to tub of gyprime, water down 3 or 4/1 , then you’ll be enjoying skimming over anything , big brush to put it on not a roller

Timing seems to be the problem, couple of things to consider on over skims always go the extra bit with pva, blue grit, unibond, or as above gyprime, ie plenty on , area size- don't lay on more than you can handle or it will take up faster than you can catch it, totally different scenario from skimming boards where suction is usually manageable even on large areas to achieve acceptable finish, if I was laying on a 10m ceiling or wall, or laying on a 30m ceiling or wall I would be falling back and testing the pick up so it doesn't end up a fu#K up:eek: