Peeled off 5 layers of wallpaper to weirdo blue walls and a wall of plywood?

Members online

Era

As the title says, i contacted a plasterer and he said 220 rip down the playwood and put in plasteboard, 480 to skim the other walls.

I dont know anything about this but to be fair it actually sounds like a good price, i just cant afford it. I can pay for the plasterboard and that definately needs doing but i have more important things to allocate funds to in the house at the moment (just moved in) than to skim the blue walls.

Do you reckon i could get away with putting easifill 60 on them?

ed370bcc-a7df-4b27-9f55-b0fb11baa0a4.jpg
9aa38f12-cb3f-4edd-8023-2611f42268b3.jpg
35dc847b-30cd-44c6-9f75-2386969ad935.jpg
26475ae7-4aa6-42e2-ae9b-a256b50e09f3.jpg

Leave the ply alone, it's fixed to something still solid that might not be if you mess with it- either a stud wall ( semi-structural) or hiding a really bad brick wall that you don't want to know about until you're in more funds. Smooth it off best you can and cover it all with 1000 grade lining paper/emulsion and try not to look at it.

When you've got more dosh, do the whole room incl the ceiling. Allow £ for completely rebuilding the ply walls.

If you can't afford them prices - s**t - you should've left the paper on them.

You'll be easi filling into 2024

It'll cost you a fortune in filler, and still look s**t.
i disagree, we stripped everry other wall and they are in great condition, what do you want me to do just leave on all the previous owners horrid wallpaper in case a wall is out of my price range to fix?

Leave the ply alone, it's fixed to something still solid that might not be if you mess with it- either a stud wall ( semi-structural) or hiding a really bad brick wall that you don't want to know about until you're in more funds. Smooth it off best you can and cover it all with 1000 grade lining paper/emulsion and try not to look at it.

When you've got more dosh, do the whole room incl the ceiling. Allow £ for completely rebuilding the ply walls.
its an inner wall surely it wont be brick right? i have the funds to sort this wall out just not the rest of the room

i disagree, we stripped everry other wall and they are in great condition, what do you want me to do just leave on all the previous owners horrid wallpaper in case a wall is out of my price range to fix?

Yes

Who’s the stupid one, stripping a room that you can’t afford to have plastered? Lol

Maybe you could offer to suck the plasterer off for payment?
lol i stripped 3 other rooms and they where completely fine, should i just keep the previous owners horrid wallpaper on the walls yeh? now i have 3 perfect rooms and 1 that needs work.

also say i had the money i probably would end up hiring and idiot like you who charges too much and does a crap job

lol i stripped 3 other rooms and they where completely fine, should i just keep the previous owners horrid wallpaper on the walls yeh? now i have 3 perfect rooms and 1 that needs work.

also say i had the money i probably would end up hiring and idiot like you who charges too much and does a crap job
You couldn’t afford me.

its an inner wall surely it wont be brick right? i have the funds to sort this wall out just not the rest of the room
Yes, Houses used to be built with brick internal walls. Even in modern times, upstairs aswell as downstairs. Even in the 60's and 70's block walls to bedrooms were commonly built off timber joists. Not suprisingly the timber shrank/moved and big blockwork/brickwork cracks and live plaster resulted - a common fix/bodge is/was to cover it up with hardboard/battens and paper over it. The alternative being very expensive.

If you cannot afford the plaster then you quite possibly cannot afford to find out the hard way what is behind the board. If you do, it's too late to do other than fix it = cost or another very dodgy bodge. If you thought all internal walls are timber then you do not have enough knowledge to be trying to do more, it could end in tears. The fact that the other walls stripped were fine and this one is different should be ringing alarm bells.
A high price is no indication of a good or bad workman (or workwoman, as we have some good'uns on here). A low price almost always is!

Yes, Houses used to be built with brick internal walls. Even in modern times, upstairs aswell as downstairs. Even in the 60's and 70's block walls to bedrooms were commonly built off timber joists. Not suprisingly the timber shrank/moved and big blockwork/brickwork cracks and live plaster resulted - a common fix/bodge is/was to cover it up with hardboard/battens and paper over it. The alternative being very expensive.

If you cannot afford the plaster then you quite possibly cannot afford to find out the hard way what is behind the board. If you do, it's too late to do other than fix it = cost or another very dodgy bodge. If you thought all internal walls are timber then you do not have enough knowledge to be trying to do more, it could end in tears. The fact that the other walls stripped were fine and this one is different should be ringing alarm bells.
A high price is no indication of a good or bad workman (or workwoman, as we have some good'uns on here). A low price almost always is!
ok i will take your advise and leave it alone for now. the plasterer i contacted seemed to think it was totally normal he said "you sometimes see this, i will r ip it out and plasterboard it".

ok i will take your advise and leave it alone for now. the plasterer i contacted seemed to think it was totally normal he said "you sometimes see this, i will r ip it out and plasterboard it".
Mmm, rip it out, uh huh, didn't say why it was sometimes like that - or what he was going to do if it wasn't a sound wall.

As the title says, i contacted a plasterer and he said 220 rip down the playwood and put in plasteboard, 480 to skim the other walls.

I dont know anything about this but to be fair it actually sounds like a good price, i just cant afford it. I can pay for the plasterboard and that definately needs doing but i have more important things to allocate funds to in the house at the moment (just moved in) than to skim the blue walls.

Do you reckon i could get away with putting easifill 60 on them?

View attachment 76549View attachment 76550View attachment 76551View attachment 76552

If you can't afford a spread (the cheapest spread in the UK) why don't you just line the walls? Get a thick lining paper.