Patching in / preparation for finish plaster advice

Roo88

hi all I've done a fair bit of finish plastering now so getting more confident with multi finish but am a bit of a novice when it comes to patching in and whether to use bonding etc and would really like some advice on this one.. I've been through the forums and got some great advice but also found it does all depend on the severity of certain aspects so I'm hoping some pictures will help.
There are some areas that I've had to hack off in my kitchen because it was fairly loose and it's in some places back to brick, the original plaster is sand and cement and is built up around 25-30 mm. Do you think pva and bonding would do the trick or would I need something like hardwall or sand and cement before hand?
I've attached some pictures so hopefully you can get a better understanding
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
Splash of Pva and let it dry off for and hour or more and bang on the bonding. Prop some wood on the underside to act as an edge until set. Bead around and skim..hard wall is for concrete blocks or bricks and don't build out as well as bonding. Bonding is always the safe bet for patching.

Splash of Pva and let it dry off for and hour or more and bang on the bonding. Prop some wood on the underside to act as an edge until set. Bead around and skim..hard wall is for concrete blocks or bricks and don't build out as well as bonding. Bonding is always the safe bet for patching.

Ok thanks a lot for your time and reply.
Really appreciated.
Can tackle this with a bit of confidence now

If your confidant with multi and its only that small area pva and build it out with a thick coat of multi if you have bonding to hand then that's the way to go

If it was my house .
Fill out all the holes, put new beads on openings, blu-grit the lot and skimm.
Bit of a challenge and nice new walls to boot[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the shelf life on a tub of blue grit ?
I found 2 tubs in back of garage i forgot about. They been there about a year. Im preping landing, stairway and hallway walls in a domestic this afternoon to skim tomorrow paper stripped and emulsion on artex flattened off underneath. Bit of bonding out here n there then if suction good i usually roll couple coats of 4:1 pva on then more to tacky it up for hit in morning.
But if suctions low i could use the grits up on it, Iff use by dates ok.
Couldnt find info after quick search so just asking incase it dont say on tubs later. Fank u.

Freezing up can effect water based products. If it looks and smells OK bang on the blue grit. I used some that was in a mates shed for 2 years. Was fine

I'll run whisk through it n see, its been stored in good dry garage with tubs n drums of feb etc around it so probnot frost damaged, if low suction i like using it cos can see where youve rolled on easier tjan pva.

I'll run whisk through it n see, its been stored in good dry garage with tubs n drums of feb etc around it so probnot frost damaged, if low suction i like using it cos can see where youve rolled on easier tjan pva.

Had a whole wall of skim shell off on blue grit a few months back :D

Trying to get my mates renter sorted in between jobs so on way home from work Friday night stopped by to prep walls for skimming next day. Silk paint, so put a coat of grit on and left to dry. Popped in next day, and skimmed room out and f**k*d off. Anyway, I was there a few days later and he's just put a mist coat on and shouts me to say a little bit of skim had popped off. Got a scraper to remove the loose bits and 10 minutes later the whole wall was on the floor! :D

All other walls fine. The only thing I can think off is that it hadn't dried out properly...weird!

Had a whole wall of skim shell off on blue grit a few months back :D

Trying to get my mates renter sorted in between jobs so on way home from work Friday night stopped by to prep walls for skimming next day. Silk paint, so put a coat of grit on and left to dry. Popped in next day, and skimmed room out and f**k*d off. Anyway, I was there a few days later and he's just put a mist coat on and shouts me to say a little bit of skim had popped off. Got a scraper to remove the loose bits and 10 minutes later the whole wall was on the floor! :D

All other walls fine. The only thing I can think off is that it hadn't dried out properly...weird!
Was it exterior wall. Can happen with cold

Was it exterior wall. Can happen with cold

Interior wall mate. It was either lack of drying time, as it was the first wall I skimmed, or perhaps it wasn't stirred up well enough. The grit was still stuck to the wall, skim came off a piece of piss!
All other walls fine...but somehow, I managed to mess up what should have been a cast iron surface to skim on to :D