parex - mineral v acrylic

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

crol

hi,

newbie here so excuse my ignorance!

we are getting parex ewi installed as part of a bungalow renovation but we are unsure about the render and color to choose.

our architect selected a natural white mineral render. however we have three small boys and wonder if this will look filthy in no-time and be impossible to clean/maintain.

what would you guys advise for a robust and easy to maintain finish?

i see parex also do a clear sealer these days. if we go with mineral would it be worthwhile applying this?

also is there much of a price difference between a mineral and acrylic render?

thanks for your help,

crol

Welcome to the forum.

With EWI majority of the time the Render put over the top has a 1.5mm aggregate. This can be done with Acrylic, Silicate, Silicone or Mineral.

The Acrylic is normally the cheaper option and this is the one which will discolour over time.

The highest performing will be a Silicone with Nano properties to it.

If you go for the Mineral it will need to be painted after, make sure you use a HQ Silicone paint and this will prevent the discolouration over time
If you need any help please do not hesitate to give us a call on 01242 236699

Ryan

hi ryan,

> If you go for the Mineral it will need to be painted after, make sure you use a HQ Silicone paint

which paints would you recommend? would these be colored? are they expensive (we have 150m2 of walls to cover excluding openings)?

also, are there any parex products which you would recommended for ensuring a mineral finish lasts?

thanks,

crol

Parex's mineral render for EWI is Monorex EHI, essentially a lightweight monocouche, it does not require painting, but will benefit from a sealer.
Their acrylic finish is the better option as its a thiner and more flexible top coat, which is also dirt resistant as standard.

hi ryan,

> If you go for the Mineral it will need to be painted after, make sure you use a HQ Silicone paint

which paints would you recommend? would these be colored? are they expensive (we have 150m2 of walls to cover excluding openings)?

also, are there any parex products which you would recommended for ensuring a mineral finish lasts?

thanks,

crol

As stated the Parex version of Mineral isn't like majority of the Mineral 1.5mm Top Coats for EWI Systems. It is a great product which would benefit from a sealer, the colour would be down to your preference.

I believe the standard 600 Clear Sealer would be the best for the Mineral system Parex do

As stated the Parex version of Mineral isn't like majority of the Mineral 1.5mm Top Coats for EWI Systems. It is a great product which would benefit from a sealer, the colour would be down to your preference.

I believe the standard 600 Clear Sealer would be the best for the Mineral system Parex do

in what way is parex mineral different to the other mineral top coats?

it looks like different mineral finishes are available, any hints on which finish would hide the dirt best over the years?

also, would sealer need to be reapplied and does anyone have a rough idea of cost per 19l bucket?

thanks,

crol

Parex's mineral finish is a scraped render, it can also be finished smooth.

Other Mineral Renders are 1.5mm the same as an acrylic or Silicone Thin Coat system

Yes they are. Ask your rendering contractor for samples of both finishes and take your pick.

Thanks, I will ask.

Also, with a Parex EHI, would a rough finish be effective at hiding dirt over the years and how rough can you go with this render?

Status
Not open for further replies.