Old lime plaster

Decrox

Hi, am just working on an old 1939s house with lime plaster on lath and plaster walls. I’ve taken off tiles and the off white scratch coat is visible. I’ve done an acid test and the plaster fizzes when it’s dropped in vinegar.
Every plasterer I’ve spoken to wants to PVA and skim with gypsu, yet everything I read about doing this makes me more than wary. As lime draws moisture, it seems it will pull the moisture from the gypsum and this can cause the plaster to blow eventually. As this area is a bathroom there will be a lot of moisture involved so it’s important that this is done correctly. Is it simply that line takes too long to set and finish? Is that why it’s not usually done? Thanks in advance. I want this to be done right.

Hi, am just working on an old 1939s house with lime plaster on lath and plaster walls. I’ve taken off tiles and the off white scratch coat is visible. I’ve done an acid test and the plaster fizzes when it’s dropped in vinegar.
Every plasterer I’ve spoken to wants to PVA and skim with gypsu, yet everything I read about doing this makes me more than wary. As lime draws moisture, it seems it will pull the moisture from the gypsum and this can cause the plaster to blow eventually. As this area is a bathroom there will be a lot of moisture involved so it’s important that this is done correctly. Is it simply that line takes too long to set and finish? Is that why it’s not usually done? Thanks in advance. I want this to be done right.

So are the bathroom walls lath and plaster or brick or both?