Marshalltown trowels

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The permas I have seen in various shops have had bent spines, as for holding there shape, a gold mxs will do too. The gold is a by product of the heat treatment used on the blade. Each to there own I guess, but my oldest worn trowels arn't any thing like that shape.
I have 3 marsheltown gold trowels, one i bought of the internet and it has the gold coloured blade and one i bought from b and q which has the gold handle but the blade is light. The light coloured blade is not as good as the dark one, both are over 5 years old but the light one has a tendency to drag in the final stages of trowelling whereas the dark one leaves it brilliant. Contacted marshelltown about it and they wanted me to send both trowels away so they could investigate it but as i use them everyday i never took it any further. Have bought another one from screwfix with the darker blade and am currently breaking it in.

Oh and those hopups look total shite even if they were half that price. How any hopup conforms to H&S when you have to step straight up onto the platform at 500mm is beyond me, not so much on safety grounds but peoples health.

There is a market for an adjustable hop up but I don't think that design is it. Something similar to the telescopic ladder would be ideal.

Last edited:
I find the broken in trowels often turn the wrong way after a bit of use . Buy a carbon steel , they dont take long to break in and get a nice sharp edge quickly .
When you have one that is nice just use it for troweling up(I use a nice square trowel for that job ) and it will last you a long time so long as you dry it well before putting it away .

I never bought a hopup in my life , isnt that why the roofers leave bits of valley board and rafters lying around when they're finished

I find the broken in trowels often turn the wrong way after a bit of use . Buy a carbon steel , they dont take long to break in and get a nice sharp edge quickly .
When you have one that is nice just use it for troweling up(I use a nice square trowel for that job ) and it will last you a long time so long as you dry it well before putting it away .

I never bought a hopup in my life , isnt that why the roofers leave bits of valley board and rafters lying around when they're finished

Yeah because they would let you have them on site :RpS_lol:

Purchased a 13x5 stainless steel one today ,not the permashape just the normal one ,both edges as straight as a die ,wahey. ,( probably chuck it in the bin next week ) :RpS_laugh:

had a marshalltown carbon steel got it out to day to render with and its bent the wrong way not along the blade but across??:RpS_unsure: all my other trowels are ss

ive got a 14x4 carbon MT and id say its my favourite trowel to use but if its not been used for a couple of days i cant be arsed to clean it up and end up going back to the stainless

Purchased a 13x5 stainless steel one today ,not the permashape just the normal one ,both edges as straight as a die ,wahey. ,( probably chuck it in the bin next week ) :RpS_laugh:

Scrape the floor with it for a month & you'll have decent rendering trowel.

Then enter the 21st century & buy a Refina s*p*r*lex

Scrape the floor with it for a month & you'll have decent rendering trowel.

Then enter the 21st century & buy a Refina s*p*r*lex

No point saying that to Jace cos he doesnt drop nowt..........................:rolleyes)

your must have more then one trowel ?

Yea of cause I have, got about 5 all tyzack tho, couple of new ones,3 at different levels of
broken in , but the tyzack are not what they use to be. Hence my reason for a change.or I'm not as good as I think I am , not to sure anymore :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.