Marshalltown trowels

Status
Not open for further replies.

superspread

After 30 yrs I've decided to change trowels to a marshalltown 13x 5 , been looking at the permashape gold finish ones,looked at least 5 of them in different shops but they all seem to have bent edges or curling up on all four corners,are they made like this purposely thought I'd ask you guys on your opinion.

Thought majority of trowels were pre shaped in the factory as you describe to stop your corners digging in ?

After 30 yrs I've decided to change trowels to a marshalltown 13x 5 , been looking at the permashape gold finish ones,looked at least 5 of them in different shops but they all seem to have bent edges or curling up on all four corners,are they made like this purposely thought I'd ask you guys on your opinion.

they are called banana trowels. we use these to finish.

I've always used them, don't do enough rendering to break a fresh one in...

Ive got a few ox trowel there pretty good also..

just bought a 16" banana lol

I use the gold Permashape trowels. They take a bit of breaking in but well worth it. Lovely to use
So am i worrying over nothing. This is normal, doesn't it affect the flatness of the finish if the trowel edge is a bit snake like.

So am i worrying over nothing. This is normal, doesn't it affect the flatness of the finish if the trowel edge is a bit snake like.

Gold = permashape = bent

Honestly mate, buy a straight one. Break it in as you always have done, It will serve you well and at very minimum, put the stuff on flat for you.

These permashape trowels are a ******* joke, why would you put a soft substance onto a flat wall with a bent item and expect it to be flat or help you in the next process of flattening?

I await the stream of jokers to try and break the rules of physics.

Yep permashape are the best its all I use and pretty much everyone I know to be honest and I bet alot of them are better plasterers than dannymac

Yep permashape are the best its all I use and pretty much everyone I know to be honest and I bet alot of them are better plasterers than dannymac
They must be good if they can get a true flat wall from a trowel thats shaped like a spoon.

Same as, been using them forever now, I thought the 'broken in' trowels reflected just that trowels that we have broken in through usage. I always said its the 'hands ' not the tools, if the ability is not in your hands there is no supersplatplazmateezeanything that will do it for you..

I thought you only used ragni carbon chappers?

Only use them for rendering Steve. For skimming Permashape and Marshalltowm carbon steel at the moment.
In the past I've used Tyzack, Ragni, CK, Refina and a few others and have left a good finish with all of them.
As my old man used to say "a decent spread will leave a good finish with the edge of a corned beef tin".
Trowel choice for me is about what's comfortable in the hand, easily replaced with an identical replacement, reasonable life span and easy to use. The only trowel I've bought and truly hated using for anything was the Refina.

Same as, been using them forever now, I thought the 'broken in' trowels reflected just that trowels that we have broken in through usage. I always said its the 'hands ' not the tools, if the ability is not in your hands there is no supersplatplazmateezeanything that will do it for you..
crap, just bought one of them too

That's just it though. They're not 'broken in'. They are the same as the mxs range but with the spine bent and the corners folded over, you should be able to put on with a straight trowel by now. You'll be ruling your backing coats with your speedskim next.

That's just it though. They're not 'broken in'. They are the same as the mxs range but with the spine bent and the corners folded over, you should be able to put on with a straight trowel by now. You'll be ruling your backing coats with your speedskim next.
Previously as a young john, when I bought A trowel, I used to rub the corners off of a kerb or corncrete block then I would plaster with it, often of course the new trowel was for sand and cement work or internal floating, some trowels never made the grade to skim work, when I,was very busy some of the trowels were worn to 3 inch at the top,end and were razor sharp, great for last trowel.

The tang of a Permashape trowel isn't bent, just the corners turned up. When the trowel is kept at a fairly shallow angle to the wall it is just like using a well worn in normal trowel except that because it's been treated it's shape won't change (Permashape) as it does with other ss trowels.

The tang of a Permashape trowel isn't bent, just the corners turned up. When the trowel is kept at a fairly shallow angle to the wall it is just like using a well worn in normal trowel except that because it's been treated it's shape won't change (Permashape) as it does with other ss trowels.

The permas I have seen in various shops have had bent spines, as for holding there shape, a gold mxs will do too. The gold is a by product of the heat treatment used on the blade. Each to there own I guess, but my oldest worn trowels arn't any thing like that shape.

Hi Guy's - My name is Derek and i am new to this forum, I have been in the tool industry for nearly 30 years and i know the guys at Marshalltown personally so i will ask them the question on your behalf, if i am honest i would be surprised if those guys are not registered on the forum if they are not then my suggestion would be they should.
Thanks
DG

We use them at college , they get a bit of abuse from the students, but seem to stand up to it. I tried to re introduce tyzack 13in broken in soft feel , last year but they did not stand up to the wear and tear, and started bending the wrong way, so we are having to resort back to marshalltown, when you think we have to buy at least forty at a time it is quite expensive, so we have to buy quality that will stand up to the wear and tear [h=1][/h]

I'me also wanting to change , ive always used tyzack , but the blades always end up rippled .
was wondering what you consider the best .
anyone know why they end up rippled

Status
Not open for further replies.