K Rend Hairline cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott McCracken (said he was a member on here..) came down to our local MKM merchants on Thursday and was very interesting to listen to. They are going to be stocking 3 basic K-rend colours and so had a good chat with him (only us and one other turned up to see him).
Talked a good talk so much we are thinking of going to Larne for the course (looks like a good course as well). Seams like a lot of folks on here are quite negative towards K-rend, though some positive. Going to have to have a trawl through old posts to read into it.
People like Owls know their stuff ,been doing it at a top end for a long time , i never use Krend ,weber only for me ,but there are better products coming out all the time , i find most people not in the know call all mono Kread , bit like hoover your carpet

Is ft actually classed as a polymer render though ? Is the content at the percentage level.
Its nothing like powerwall or m1 that have polymer render classification.

Got a wp job on. Can't be sprayed wp so will be doing 7bag mixes in the barrel. Mixed twice as before.

Anyone using krend hand app?
If you ever try egrade but hand app it? Its much nicer gear to work with and still silicone

It is classed as polymer modified yes. Cement content is quite a bit higher than some others.

It slumps by hand and k1 is full of hairline cracks you can't fill apart from that it's an excellent product
it's never been good and the support you get from reps speeks volumes about how they give a **** about how much money you be lost and how someone's house has been ruined, I'm surprised there not in rogue traders it really is that bad

The original K1 cracked under accelerated drying conditions when applied to thick in one pass and under mixed, saying that we tested it over applied with a space heater and couldn't reproduce the problem. Never had FT slump in 10 years, it did have really bad problems a few years back, but so did Weber, (Before Parex became a thing.) that was due to cement manufacturers going through hell at the hands of EU regulators though. Everything we applied just looked grey and lifeless, and by god did it work the mixers!

Do you really think I'm that stupid? We used it in the winter and summer and exactly the same thing happened it cracked? Every single plasterer I know dreads laying it on by hand because they know it will slump full of **** and you're trying to cover it up by trying to talk technical about something you were either told by a rep

Last they told me they were. Tweeking k1. I would lime to know has it been enhanced since the first launch?

Do you really think I'm that stupid? We used it in the winter and summer and exactly the same thing happened it cracked? Every single plasterer I know dreads laying it on by hand because they know it will slump full of **** and you're trying to cover it up by trying to talk technical about something you were either told by a rep

good to have you back Spunky, place aint been the same without you :RpS_thumbsup:

You seem angry lol, I'm not trying to wind anyone up fella.

We do have a large application side, and apply or have applied most things. I'm just not seeing the problems quite as much as you have.

No problem it's probably because you're a supplier lol

I know you might find this hard to believe but one of our directors developed the first through coloured renders used in the UK. If you want to see the first pump applied render in the UK it's on one of our workshop walls!

I know you might find this hard to believe but one of our directors developed the first through coloured renders used in the UK. If you want to see the first pump applied render in the UK it's on one of our workshop walls!

That's a claim I have heard now made by 3 different people. One of which you know from another social media outlet

You seem angry lol, I'm not trying to wind anyone up fella.

We do have a large application side, and apply or have applied most things. I'm just not seeing the problems quite as much as you have.
You sell it you're not going to admit its ****, it's a different story when you're on the other end and you've lost 13 grand on a job and all you get is someone's making up excuses so I doesn't interfere with their next holiday to Barbados

And the Germans invented the machine to pump it in the 60's

That's a claim I have heard now made by 3 different people. One of which you know from another social media outlet

To be fair, its my old man, he was very big just before the miners strike (Company called Decramace which developed and applied the same Brick/Stone Renders you find on the market still today.) long before the like of K Rend et al existed at all. He got the Brick Render up and running then got to work on getting renders through a pump. If any of you watch Eastenders you'll see a few brick rendered walls if you look hard enough, Dirty Den was still in it when he did those.... Plenty of the stuff on the Avalanche ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach as well.

He still going bless him, he keeps winning Inca awards every year with Westdale Services!

And the Germans invented the machine to pump it in the 60's

I didn't say he invented the machine to pump cementitious products. That would be an entirely different kettle of fish. Getting cement liquid enough to go through a pump and then stick and stay on a vertical wall and then spread nice with the chemical technologies available in those days was no mean feat. Things have obviously been refined a lot since then.

Scott McCracken (said he was a member on here..) came down to our local MKM merchants on Thursday and was very interesting to listen to. They are going to be stocking 3 basic K-rend colours and so had a good chat with him (only us and one other turned up to see him).
Talked a good talk so much we are thinking of going to Larne for the course (looks like a good course as well). Seams like a lot of folks on here are quite negative towards K-rend, though some positive. Going to have to have a trawl through old posts to read into it.
Dont bother mate waste of your time what they teach you can be told in 10 mins .having been there myself it would be cheaper to get in touch with one of the lads here offer free labor you would learn in no time ..

You sell it you're not going to admit its ****, it's a different story when you're on the other end and you've lost 13 grand on a job and all you get is someone's making up excuses so I doesn't interfere with their next holiday to Barbados

We sell and spread it, saying that if it was as bad as some here think I wouldn't sell it as it would be more hassle than its worth. The feedback I get is generally good tbf. I don't worry about problems too much we do have in-house luxuries most don't in that regard.

Dont bother mate waste of your time what they teach you can be told in 10 mins .having been there myself it would be cheaper to get in touch with one of the lads here offer free labor you would learn in no time ..

Generally this is good advice but I see no harm in doing both. If you think you are going to be doing a bit in the future I could imagine a rep could be persuaded to come and advise on site also if you can swallow your pride.

It's a piece of piss to apply Rhys and probably something someone could talk you through over the phone just don't use krend use webber or parex

Yep I've met him,
seems genuine enough, he's just got his work cut out trying to repair burnt bridges regarding previous after service.
the course is theory mainly, you'll learn something but it's hands on your after.

Cheers for the feedback.
From reading the blurb the course is 65% hands on. I know bugger all about the different types of render systems but this one presented itself. Scott told us if we got a few lads who were interested they would hold a demonstration at our local merchants. They have one already to go in Barnsley next month for the thin coat stuff but we've got work booked in for then so no good. We told him it's fine being told how to do it but we prefer to go hands on to learn. Anyway, we've got a few months yet before will think about going.

I'd try using a R7 or R10 adhesive instead of the SBR in future , you can get the R7 and R10 direct off K-Rend and they are specifically designed for K-Rend , be careful though as once it starts to pull in you need to make sure you're on top of it or it'll make your day twice as hard

Cheers for the feedback.
From reading the blurb the course is 65% hands on. I know bugger all about the different types of render systems but this one presented itself. Scott told us if we got a few lads who were interested they would hold a demonstration at our local merchants. They have one already to go in Barnsley next month for the thin coat stuff but we've got work booked in for then so no good. We told him it's fine being told how to do it but we prefer to go hands on to learn. Anyway, we've got a few months yet before will think about going.

I can't see the harm in doing a few courses, most material has its quirks that need to be addressed to get the best out of it which will be pointed out on the courses. Expecting K Rend to apply like Parex, or Weber to apply like K Rend when using them for the first time is where a lot trip up.

Parex mixes quickly and applies like butter generally but has a lowish cement content and "only" a 10 year warranty. (Not sure if the warranty has changed recently though, I need to check.) Parex is definitely the applicators favorite.

K Rend Silicone gear needs a double mix and a stronger arm but you get a higher silicone modified cement content along with a 25 year BBA cert and punters like the sparkly bits. Applicators should be able to charge a few quid extra a sq m to the private punter due to this. The K1 range looks to address some of the extra application requirements by lowering the cement content and therefore the products overall strength and currently there's no silicone version but that will change soon I believe.

Weber is somewhere in the middle, no silicone but a full 25 year BBA cert and there's even a few sparkly bits if you look hard enough

I can't see the harm in doing a few courses, most material has its quirks that need to be addressed to get the best out of it which will be pointed out on the courses. Expecting K Rend to apply like Parex, or Weber to apply like K Rend when using them for the first time is where a lot trip up.

Parex mixes quickly and applies like butter generally but has a lowish cement content and "only" a 10 year warranty. (Not sure if the warranty has changed recently though, I need to check.) Parex is definitely the applicators favorite.

K Rend Silicone gear needs a double mix and a stronger arm but you get a higher silicone modified cement content along with a 25 year BBA cert and punters like the sparkly bits. Applicators should be able to charge a few quid extra a sq m to the private punter due to this. The K1 range looks to address some of the extra application requirements by lowering the cement content and therefore the products overall strength and currently there's no silicone version but that will change soon I believe.

Weber is somewhere in the middle, no silicone but a full 25 year BBA cert and there's even a few sparkly bits if you look hard enough

If a specific client requires an extended warranty Parex will comply. The gear does seem to be the applicators choice right now. It sprays and applies very very well and is easier on the rotors than others too - that's prob the reason as it makes life a little easier.

That tv10 needs attention tho. Dreadful to use

If a specific client requires an extended warranty Parex will comply. The gear does seem to be the applicators choice right now. It sprays and applies very very well and is easier on the rotors than others too - that's prob the reason as it makes life a little easier.

That tv10 needs attention tho. Dreadful to use

Parex has definitely been engineered with the focus on the applicator. It can look a bit monolithic and lifeless when finished for my taste if I'm being honest though.

Parex has definitely been engineered with the focus on the applicator. It can look a bit monolithic and lifeless when finished for my taste if I'm being honest though.

mm not sure on that.
but the quality of parex application is good,[barr bl10] its one of the best about, up there with Enewall for me. k rend have a lot of making up to do to get the standard. the rock you have with krend is the brand name, people refer to monocouche as ' k render' of the same ilk as a vacuum and Hoover.

mm not sure on that.
but the quality of parex application is good,[barr bl10] its one of the best about, up there with Enewall for me. k rend have a lot of making up to do to get the standard. the rock you have with krend is the brand name, people refer to monocouche as ' k render' of the same ilk as a vacuum and Hoover.

I don't think K Rend are going for the easiest and cheapest to apply crown though. That market is a race to the bottom, with the housebuilders going after the rebates normally reserved for the big merchants.... Putting Silicone in gear you mix with water is always going to make things harder to some extent, just how much is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.