Hygroscopic or maybe soot deposits.

Jack24

Hi,

I moved into my house about 5 years ago and every inch was wallpapered and painted over I've now made my way around and stripped it all back and re-plastered allowing it all to breathe.

There's one area that I haven't re-plastered which is an upstairs bedroom as the walls seem to be in good nick. There is an old chimney breast between 2 bedrooms with the old fireplace in the adjoining bedroom.

It was originally showing signs of damp and on inspection on the roof there was missing pointing around ridge tiles as well as cracked flaunching around the chimney pots which were also left open. In the attic the stack was soaking and loads of salts on the brickwork. The ground floor fireplace is still sealed with no vent; I plan to install one ASAP.

I've fixed the cement, pointing and installed cowls on the pots about 3 years ago and everything is looking good. The breast in the attic is dry but has lots of salts on it.

I've now noticed small spots appearing on the upstairs bedroom wall the opposite side to the fireplace bedroom. Just to settle my curiosity I painted over with Zinsser BIN but the stains are coming back through.

On the ground floor directly below the room im going to be replastering and that wall is showing signs of effervescence and powdery plaster that is peeling. I'm intending on meshing this room with dot and dab as I've got plenty of room and didn't want to hack it all off.

I was hoping someone could advise on the spotting and if the old fireplace could potentially be seeping soot through?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240227_114111.jpg
    20240227_114111.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240227_114127.jpg
    20240227_114127.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32